1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

turbo leak , used it like that for 1.5 yrs, Needed help please

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, May 13, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    theblack,
    thanks for this thread !
    Now my car has started the SSSSSSSSSSS sound, once rpm goes above 2000 ,now neeed to know whether this is an turbo leak or default noise!!!
    Will visit TASS soon.

You have pointed the right thing,how one can diagnose the turbo leak with just hearing the sound or the car pull/pick up at the rated(turbo kick-in) rpm's ? its hard to guess..
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Dont go to TASS, they are a bunch of useless folks and always have the knack to convince that its all fine.

AFAIK turbo spooling has its own characteristic SSSSSSSSS noise, drive any turbo car and you will hear it .
    Also to add to this dilemma a friend of mine owns an optra magnum with a dying turbo (its done 92k) still the pull is amazing and unless told by him that the turbo is dying its not possible to figure out the issue.
    So what to do, what to do? :)

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

I found this on google.. Hoping to do a DIY with the help of a mechanic to figure out if i have a leak..
    But this post seems to be quite elaborate
    Boost leak symptoms video and DIY boost leak tester

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Also just to substantiate my point that turbos do make a hissing sound..
    Diesel Turbo whistle question « Singletrack Forum
    But please be aware that there is no substitute for a thorough checkup...
    I dont know what to do
    2 people like this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    theblack,
    that was informative !!! All about HIssling and Whistling !!! :D
  4. aniketbhise

aniketbhise Timido

Panvel
    Panvel
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi

I own 2010 Punto 1.3 MJD 75 HP. Have done little over 1 Lakh kms in running. I have been experiencing the hissing sound during acceleration for quite a long time now. I have been using the car like this for last 30 to 40K kms now. I showed it to different FASS but of no use. They say they checked all the hoses for leakages but found none. They too don't understand what exactly the problem is.

The sound is not heard when i rev up the engine in neutral gear. Its only when i accelerate while running (gears r engaged). Also if i am at 100 kmph @ 2.5K rpm and i speed up to 120 kmps @ 3K rmp, while speeding up i could hear the hissing noise. But if i leave the acc paddle even slightly keeping rmp well above 2.5K i dont hear the sound or the sound is reduced. Its like the sound is only when you accelerate beyond your current speed. Even while running if I press the clutch and rev up above 2K there is no sound. So basically its only when the gears are engaged.

Recently the car went through major service where all lubricants including gear oil was changed. But still the problem persists. I also think that the pickup and performance of the engine is low due to this problem.

Can any one please shed some light on this?

Regards