1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

turbo leak , used it like that for 1.5 yrs, Needed help please

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, May 13, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Guys today i had a shock of a lifetime.
    I've been experiencing turbo leak from the past 1.5 yrs . There was a hissing sound every time i pushed beyond 2000 rpm and the sound just got more and more as i continued to push.
    Since this is my first car and i had very little prior knowledge about turbo/ leaks and everything else about the car, I was only able to figure out minor problems in the car and point it to TASS for fixing.

I never drove another punto/linea till date and so i always thought that the hissing noise was default noise of the turbo working and i made merry with that illusion.
    yesterday another TFI'an drove my car and immediately noticed this noise and pointed to me that there could be a turbo leak somewhere as he did not have this problem.
    I easily told him that this was something I faced from as long as i can remember. But he persisted that there was a leak or something like that in the turbo.

Since he knew more about this, i thought i should check for anything uneven and we found a few clamps ,(turbo exhaust/inlet hose clamp, engine air intake clamp) that were decided to be fixed.
    In the morning I took the car to his trusted mechanic and that's when i had a shock of a lifetime.
    The inter-cooler pipe eventually connecting the turbo intake had a huge hole..

IMAG0143.jpg
    Screwdriver through the hole :(
    IMAG0144.jpg

My dissapointments
    I've actively trying to learn as many things i can w.r.t cars and i cant believe this has happened to me now :(.
    I precisely started looking at all these things just so that I can one day diagnose the problem at its inception and get it fixed but this time i was just unlucky .

Secondly, I'm deeply dissatisfied with the TASS guys for not even thinking that there could be a turbo leak..
    I mean the damn noise was so evident any guy with some idea would have easily figured it out.
    NOT ONCE DID THOSE IDIOTS FIGURE THIS OUT.

My Concerns
    1.) could this have caused any problems to any of the components, especially the life of the turbo
    2.) I've driven long and far and fast with this problem, ripped all along the ghat sections ,I've reached 160kmph , I've done trips to dirty/dusty parts of india.
    Now i'm worried if anything has happened ..
    Please advice.

To have an interim fix i just cut that portion of faulty tube and re-fitted it,(will get it fully replaced)
    Any advice on my scenario is welcome..
    varoon9999 likes this.
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    After fixing the hose i found that there was nearly 95-97% reduction in the noise and the car easily pulls to 4000 rpm in 4th with AC..
    It does not take too long at all unlike the olden times.
    But there is still that hissing noise if i listen to it carefully and its coming from right beneath the engine or could be the turbo exhaust also...
    bloody BA$$$$DS from concorde (mysore rd) have replaced the turbo exhaust pipe with some other pipe and its so long ,it feels like a snake coiled all around.
    I got that cut to correct size and fitted it. But that still has tension bends which is not good for the gases..
    I believe this 3% of noise is coming from that, unless there is something more sinister brewing inside.
    Please pour in you're ideas so that I can nail those idiots at once.
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sorry to hear this. If something had gone inside then it might have damaged the turbo. But, as the car pulls nicely up to 4,000 RPM stop worrying and enjoy punting.

For nailing TASS make a complaint regarding this to FIAT Customer Care over phone.

Even, I get some SSSSS... noise at around 1,700 RPM, I was under the notion that it is normal when you are in turbo band, but now I am getting suspicious.
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Well AFAIK there should be no such noise. .
    All someone to accelerate to 3000 rpm and open the bonnet. .
    If you heat any hissing noise there is something wrong
  5. Get all the turbo plumbing checked , especially clamps. I really hate those factory fitted clamps as no one can fasten it including Tass.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Thebalck,

Looking at the picture, air could have only made an exit from the cut as it is either air is going to intercooler or coming out of it.I agree with you Concorde mysore road folks are little casual in their QC.
    I hope these guy's don't get into exclusive FIAT service centers.
  6. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Those clips are nice and you need a special pliers to fix them. During power steering hose retro fitment on my punto I saw a TASS guy refitted my old clip with the pliers. It is bit hard to refit but once you fit it then you can forget it.
    1 person likes this.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    thanks for response guys.. yesterday i got these hoses changed for 1600rs (turbo sleeve and intercooler sleeves ,as they are called).
    Its a bit reassuring now to know that it's only the exhaust side of the system .
    Million thanks to sat-chit-anand for letting me take a photo of the hoses in his car and help me fight with TASS :)
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    is the hissing noise completely gone now?
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes the hissing noise is gone now... But beyond 3000-3500rpm i hear a slight noise. I think its the turbo's default noise.
    I can also vouch that my car easily revs to 4500rpm in 2,3,4 gears
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    then things should be fine..i had a problem with my turbo where i heard the hissing noise right after 1750 rpm. and it was very prominent. eventually the turbo was replaced when no other problem like leaks could be found