1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo Failure

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by adwaitorama, May 29, 2013.

1. adwaitorama

adwaitorama Timido

Mumbai
    The turbo of my Punto has been failed and the Service people at TCRS not able to rectify the issue in my car. the car is not showing any symptoms of a turbo failure other than the heavy drop in the pickup and power of the car has been so dead that while climbing on the flyovers of mumbai i have to shift the car to 2nd or 3rd for just sufficient power to climb. The car not throwing any traces of smoke also.
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Oh No ! Same problem like my old 75 HP GP.
    Poor performance but no ecu error?

Now I have zeroed that there is some bug in ECU Examiner of Fiat
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Have them check thoroughly for cuts/slits in the Turbo hoses (Rubber Pipes at both ends of the intercooler). That is most likely the problem. The slits often cannot be seen unless the hoses are dismantled from the vehicle and examined. Some experienced mechanics can identify them just my running their fingers on the hoses but some cannot. Most mechanics are often lazy to check these thoroughly and hence tell you that there is no problem.

Hoses on my vehicle failed a couple of times, there was smoke and warning on the MID the first time but there was no smoke and warning the second time, so this might not show on the examiner either. However, i could straight away identify that it was a hose failure since i had already experienced the performance change before. I could here a "whoooo'sh" sound of the boost leakage whenever i revved hard though.
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  4. adwaitorama

adwaitorama Timido

Mumbai
    It is sad that even yesterday(4/10/2013) the car is not up to the mark, with both the senior managers of TCRS stating that there is no difference between the FIAT TURBO AND INDICA ..... icon13.png . I feel that some other technical issues need to be sorted out like ECU mapping etc to have the car perform. What surprised me and my father that these two technical gentlemen claim that the "part no" is the same for FIAT & INDICA......

Look for an answer from FIAT INDIA only.............:A
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Turbos of all cars can fail if proper discipline of idling is not maintained.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Adwait, you have confirm the part number from the supercharging parts with part numbers detailed below.

turbo part number.jpg
  7. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    I have a similar issue now on my GP. I had a minor accident and something hit my front lower bumper spoiling the radiator, hoses and intercooler connection and bending the fan a bit. I had replaced all these parts and after I got the vehicle back, I don't see my pick up back as how it used to be. I sent the vehicle again to Ramkay Fiat in Perungudi, Chennai, and they said, 2 more replacements are needed for connection to Turbo from intercooler and did them. when I got back the vehicle, I still am not convinced with the pick up. I call the SA and say my feedback, he doesn't agree but says that pick up is as usual. Is there a way that I can push with any more technical inputs or can I examine anything myself? any help will be better.
    1 person likes this.
  8. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I too have the same issue and the scenario u mentioned after second service. Yet i am waiting for the right culprit for this as SA alwasy says no issue sirji and had visually checked parts related to poor pick up.

:anyone
  9. rpm19050

rpm19050

Delhi
    the intake pipes are probably not connected properly, leaking compression on the joints with metal components. you should compare boost pressure at given rpm with another punto using fiat scanner. could do at home by taking the readings using obd port scanner and fiatecuscan. just share your readings at 1500/1700/2000/2200/2500/3000 rpm here. i am sure some or other forum member will revert with their values.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I think the boost value is more dependent on the throttle position than on the RPM, isn't it?

Rajan