1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo doesn't kick in always

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by theblack, Apr 21, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    After reading a thread about turbo replacement in this forum i began to do my own tests with my beauty as i faced somewhat a similar issue.

here is the story..
    I own a 75PS punto and according to the docs turbo should kick in at about 1700-1800 rpm.
    But in my case I cant feel the turbo hitting me always.
    This is especially true when i Gradually accelerate to and beyond 1700rpm.
    If i drive with a light foot I"ve noticed that i cannot feel the turbo at all even when i take the rpm to 2000,2200rpm there is still no feel and then its time to change gears.
    in 2nd gear i dont feel anything in 3rd gear sometimes i feel it.

There are ocassions where even when i drive with a heavy foot i cannot feel the turbo boost very well.
    This is now concerning me a lot.

WIth Full load and AC on i can feel the turbo hit but even that is not always.
    With just me driving i sometimes feel the turbo working and sometimes dont.

I dont know if the boost is controlled by the ECU that it opens it up when there is heavy load and does not do so under light loads.
    Please advice.

Also my car is a '09 Dec model ..
    In the extended warranty booklet i see that "Turbo" is mentioned so now i would like to know if this is a issue with turbo or could there be a leak of some sort.

If anyone is residing in blr and doesn't mind meeting me I would like them to TD my car and see if my claims are valid....
    It would be really helpful guys

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

I'm not sure if i should suspect bad fuel..
    Also my 3rd service is also just over in Dec '11 so air/fuel filters must have been replaced.
    If in case its a story of bad fuel (I use BP in tyagaraja nagar always) what should i do?
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    How does your car smoke?
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Get the Airfilter cleaned. Clogged air filter may irregular turbo working.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Smoke is not noticable at all.. almost the same as it has been from the beginning.
    I will get the Air filter cleaned.. but AFAIK i've not driven in dusty conditions as yet after my last check up..
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Since how long have been running on the existing filter?
    If it is above 10000 Kms, it should be cleaned. Else for 3000-4000 Kms, i think you should take it to Tass. Also check air intake pipes if they are loose or some leakage. Anything else i am afraid you have to take it to TASS. Other leakages won't be visible to naked eyes like leakage in turbine inlet to exhaust manifold. It could also be fuel injectors incorrectly adjusted or dirt caked on compressor wheel or diffuser vanes which is a typical service center job.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    ok.. but just to understand.. if the turbo is designed to kick in at 1700rpm.. no matter how i drive it, it should give me the push right?
    If this is true then I think i might have some issue..
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes.................
  8. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

No, it doesn't give a push but it picks up linearly. That's because lower exhaust gas pressure developed.
    RPM's of Turbo fan are just too less to give that violent push. It happens@2200 RPM onwards.
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    If there is no turbo pressure post 2000rpm, you can expect heavy black smoke. So I feel everything is fine with your turbo.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I do feel the turbo quite well in 3rd gear at 2000-2200 rpm and pulls very cleanly...
    There is no heavy black smoke....

So i guess i can breathe a sigh of relief..
    Thank you all for helping me