1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo charger replaced under warranty

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by romsi_rk, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ganesh.g1982

ganesh.g1982 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi All,

I have a GP 1.3 MJD active. From past 3 days, I am noticing a lack of power, hard gear shifting, and a jerk in clutch paddle. I am not very good in car technical areas, however i observed below things while drving the car:

1. Milage is decreased (as per MID). For highway, usually when I reset and start a new ride it starts showing 24 and if average would be lbetween 20-21. The same case fro city is between 13-14. Same tests now shows as 10 for City and 16-17 for hghway.
    2. Turbo clicks at 2200-2300 RPM. Earlier I noticed the turble was clicking at aroud 1700-1800 RPM. Eg. During city drvie, after taking the humps on 2nd gear, if the keep on pressing the accelerator at around 1700, i was able to sense the power when turbo clicks in, But now the same is sensed only after 2200 RPM.
    3. Gear shiftitng is hard escpecially when I do change the gear when I cpplying break and cluch togethers, for example when I come on 5th gear if i see a hump, i gradually starts applying break and applies clutch accordingly and then changes to 2nd gear before I take the hump. While doing this, I see the gear becomes very tight.
    4. Also I feel the gear is not smooth as earlier while shifting between gear, It is not making any sounds, but it is like the cluch is not fully pressed.

I am planning to take the car to SC (KHT motorss, bangalore) to show this issue. Before that, If i get some suggestions and recommendations from all of you, I would be greatful..

I bought the car on June 2011, so if any parts to be replaced will everything be covered under warranty?

Regards,
    Ganesh G
  2. @Ganesh... the best person who can help you out in this issue is gurjinder (moderator).. kindly pm him...
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Ganesh, your symptoms can point to :

- fault in the turbo
    - probable clutch kit issues. I suspect this to be the cause. As even a dead turbo wouldn't have any relation with the gearshifting issues.

The only way out is to let TASS have a look there. Do keep us updated on the diagnosis by TASS.

Cheers.

@Romi - you overrate me buddy. :)
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    To me it looks more like a clutch related issue, how many km's your car have done till now
    Notice the RPM at which your car crosses 100 kmph it should be dot 2500 rpm.
  5. ganesh.g1982

ganesh.g1982 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have completed around 22000 km now in 10 months.. :) A lots of bangalore-kerala trips..

You mean RPM at which thecar crosses 100 kmph it should be not be 2500 rpm?

I have talked with Sriram[KHT Motors] and asked to bring the car tomorrow (today morning actually) to check it up. I will ask them to identify the turbo issue first.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    He means the RPM at which car crosses 100 should be exactly 2500.
    You have probably spoken to Shivram who is the CRM over there. Ask him to get Velu and Aitha to test drive your car.
  7. ganesh.g1982

ganesh.g1982 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I went to SC today morning at 10:30, met Shivram SRM and the SE who took TD was also another Shivram. Basically he first told me that he is not finding an issue, I had to talk a lot to convince him that the tubo should pick up between 1600-1800 as ealrier it was doing. I took the car from him and drove it to show that it is clicking only at about 2200-2300 on 2nd gear and 3rd gear. Also I inidcated the drastic change in milage both in city and highway. After TD, he talked to sriram and they need further investigation and appointment can be given only on next wednesday. As I need to go back kerala on saturday I told it is not convenient for me , but they dont have any other options. So I asked them to do some basic checkups to see if they can anything wrong. They agreed for that and returned after 10 mins stating no issue and I can give for further investigation in Kerala.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ what about the clutch/gear issues. They didn't find anything wrong there too?
    Or was entire discussion focussed on turbo only..
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  9. ganesh.g1982

ganesh.g1982 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I told about clutch and gear issue that it is not smooth as ealrier. However as per SE, they are also very much smooth :)
    I asked him to drive and another 75hp, comapre it and then provide the opinion rather than saying "No issue". When we reached back after TD, I asked another SE infront of this guy about the Tubo click, and he told it usually clicks between 1500-2000. :) I beleive he must also know about it, not sure why he was telling no issue at the begining.

Also the CRM told the Fiat tech expert is at Andra now and will only come back on Wednesday to have deeper investigation. As I dont have any othe choices left, I took the car back.
    Will try to show it up at in Kerala.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Well Ganesh, i can undertstand such issues can sometimes be very difficult to replicate in front of the SC guys. For peace of mind you can give another try with Concorde, dairy circle if you have time before finally getting it checked in your hometown. I somehow feel Concorde guys are more customer friendly and professional than KHT.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012