1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo charger replaced under warranty

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by romsi_rk, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Thanks sham. I am driving my 90 over my trusted 1.9d to check if the issue amplifies. I do t want to be sitting duck after the warranty is gone ..
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Below quoted email was sent to tatamotors for warranty claim from the dealer after identifying the problem:

Dear sir,

We have receive Engine Noise Level high of Grande punto. We check the vehicle we found turbo Compressor got failure in the vehicle.So please need a approval for changing the turbo Compressor Replacement Under Warranty Bassis.please find the DIR and Service History also attached below:

Vehicle detail:

In my car the sound has been there for more than last 10k kms. It didn't increase. Have you shown it to TASS? what did they tell
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ Sham

Turbo failure is assumed when turbo makes whistle noise.

The vocal noise as stated by gurujinder & me is treated as normal.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    @romsi, how much time did the SC take to replace the turbocharger for your punto once it had arrived?
    For mine they want to keep the car for two days. Also these guys have not replaced a turbocharger on any Fiat before. They have done it only on Tatas.
  5. .

only 1/2 day for fixing it.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    In 2 days, one can rebuild an entire engine and put it back!

And changing the turbo isn't that big a job. Bolt-off and bolt-on. :)

They should be able to do it in max 2-3 hours if they really want to.
  7. The point is are they equipped even if they want to ;-)
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I don't think Turbo removal requires any special tools. Hand spanners and socket wrenches every dealer has. The turbo is just bolted on the exhaust side, and further down its connected to the catalyst. All connections being with bolts.

Cheers
  9. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    hi guys , i am experiencing a very jerky drive . At say 1300-1400 rpm their is sudden loss of power but after crossing this rpm its pretty much ok . Sometimes it gives a feeling as if car is going to stall . I do get turbo feel sometimes after 2k rpm . Is it due to some problem with turbocharger..??
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks Romsi!
    Thanks for the info Gurjinder! Now that I have an idea how about how much time it should actually take, I ll surely insist on getting the car back same day!

Since the work does not require much skills so i am kind of okay to get it done from them even though they have not replaced any till now. If it was something more complicated then surely I would have gone to Concorde or Prerana which are more well known SC's in bangalore