1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo charger replaced under warranty

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by romsi_rk, Sep 12, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    VGT's make a very peculiar sound when we give the engine some throttle and then pull off. If i may describe it so, it's like a 'chhoooo' :p. I've not noticed this much when driving, but once or twice when i gave it some throttle at idle then this sound was there. Since day one.

If that is the sound you are talking about, then it is perfectly normal.

Recently i had the opportunity to drive a Punto FGT on a long ride and found that it's turbo is much more vocal than the VGT's.

Cheers.
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Any Idea for simple DIY turbo maintenance or regular DIY inspection.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Absolutely right. Turbo of my 90 HP & of my DDiS also makes this specific vocal noise.I observed that more genuine fuel more this specific turbo noise which I like most.There is another noise from engine which comes when bad fuel in MJD.Sound is described by one member who has submitted the topic " Heavyness issue of MJD"
  4. Thanks Gurjinder. The issue has started a couple of days back and the SE at TASS attributed to a turbo fault in its infancy. The sound that I love is the whistle when accelerating but in my case when I leave the accelerator the sound is slightly in the form of a whistle which is audible then slowly tapers off. I did not see this issue earlier. I am not still convinced that there is an issue per SE so driving the car on a daily basis to see if the issue persists or amplifies..
  5. Recently my replaced turbo again developed a slight oil leak

Image403.jpg

and had given to TASS for check up and they found that leak was inside the turbo and since my car was in extended warranty, no replacement. Only solution was to get it repaired, which the TASS guys are not experts in and turbo was couriered to Palakkad and it took a while and after 9 days of my car in TASS i finally got it back. And now leak is not seen but dont know for how long...... :(
  6. M not sure what's the issues with the Turbo's now. Hope they are not wide spread..
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Even I was wondering why your blue angel was laying in KVR for so long.let us hope for the best.
  8. Thanks Jayadev... now car is with me in Kochi. They said that now there wont be any problem.... lets hope for the best
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    This is a familiar sound for me. Have a look at this related post:
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-3-mjd/2423-journey-punto-8.html#post85079
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    if your car is in extended warranty why the turbo was not replaced. and this is recurred problem. then why repair?