1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo charger replaced under warranty

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by romsi_rk, Sep 12, 2011.

1. hello gurji..

my punto mjd's idling rpm is just below 1000. is it ok?.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Somehow after reading this thread, i had a feeling that i am not recognizing the thrust when turbo deploys. That made me ask this question. Thanks for elaborate answer Gurji.

Basically when does the turbo kick in? i mean the RPM range? There is not much of smoke emanating from my vehicle.

Does VGT offer more liner power delivery, so that it is not very recognizable in terms of the thrust that a turbo offers?
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yes. All Fiat MJD's idle at 900 RPM.
  4. thank you ramjin. but I remember before the first service the needle was pointing at 1000 rpm.
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    At idle stage the rpm needle was on 900rpm in my petrol punto and is on 900rpm in my diesel punto..so doctor no worries.
  6. thank you kedar
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Theoretically, a VGT offers bare minimum of lag. However, practically, there is still a bit of lag, but not as bad when compared to a FGT.

On the Linea, i feel the turbo begins it's ''working range'' by around 1700-1800rpm's. Post 2000, it is on a full song. The push can definitely be felt, although its not as extreme as , say a Swift D. Much more linear and progressive.

Cheers.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    to feel the turbo punch, take your VGT linea/ punto 90hp in a ghat section, put in 2nd gear and go beyond 2500rpm. you will get full blast. the car literally shoots off.
  9. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks Italia-Linea for your suggestion. My vehicle is approaching its first service with only 2k more Kms to go. May be the filters - air & others need a clean up. May be that is why i am feeling the vehicle is a bit sluggish now!!
  10. I think this has become a common problem with 90 HPs. My 90Hp is really teasing me. Whenever I ask somebody to do a test, the car behaves normally. 2 Weeks back, a fellow TFIan and I swapped our VGT puntos and found both the cars performs similarly. After the meet I drove my car for another 30 KMs on highways and the pull was perfect. But in another 2 or 3 days the car felt sluggish. I asked my Colleague to give a test and at that time the car was normal after a day again the problem came up. I am not able to understand at all. My dad gave a TD of my car and asked me is this all the power a 90 Hp can deliver ? You cud have taken a swift which has a far better pickup. I couldn't face him at that moment. he was not at all happy for me spending 7.6 lacs.

I am not finding time to take the car back to the Service Center. But for sure the turbo has got some problem with 90 HPs is my guess atleast after reading few posts in this thread.