1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo After Cold Start

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Heartlin Sunderji, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Hi Team,

I have a query. Thought of posting it here. If it is unnecessary or should be moved, mods can go ahead with it.

I have read lot of posts from our Gurjinder and many other TFI'ans regarding the engine Idling during Cold Start/Hot Stop. It was really
    a great information. It is always good to wait a minute or two before shutting off you engine after Hot stop and also waiting the
    same amount of time after cold Start.

But I have noticed something apart form this process. I am following the Cold Start/Hot Stop all time, if not most of the times.
    But When I start my engine first in the morning, without Idling my engine if I start running my car immediately,
    the acceleration seems to be far better than it would be when the engine temperature indicator is in the mid range.
    I even enjoy sometimes running the car w/o heating it up after cold start. I just accelerate and I find good turbo kick.

I was just wondering with the abnormal acceleration. Anyone here with any idea behind it ? Is there anything bad about it ?:firey
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    that is how it sould be driven as per manual.just dont do harsh driving immidiately like above 2500 rpm.let the engine get heated with sedate driving and then lets try pedal to metal ;)

its there in my car as well.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Yes. I don't drive rash immediately, yet I enjoy the greater pull power. The engine heats faster than in the idling state as the manual indicates.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Though i've never accelerated hard ever until the engine has warmed up, but the phenomena you describe is easily explainable.

Cold engine = ECU sends more fuel to help combustion = driver feels more power ( In diesels , until a point if you put in more fuel than normal you get more power+ more heat.) The ECU is programmed to run the engine rich until it reaches some set coolant temperature.

Warm engine = ECU sends just the right amount of fuel needed = driver feels relatively lesser power.

Engine idling at cold start or shutting down when warm is a touchy topic and i've had plenty of guys tell me otherwise. To each according to his own! But if you ask me - I have been doing this for the past 8 years now and will continue to do so.

Cheers.
    3 people like this.
  5. That is something I haven't known. Thanks for sharing it.

From the day( a month ago) I read your post regarding COld Start / Hot Stop, even I am liking to follow that. And it does really increase the life expectancy of Fiat Engines.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    gurjinder,
    may be you are avoiding more power :) .
    why to idle ? as ECU is meant to do its job and its doing ? and also in manual its mentioned not to do engine warm up exercise during stand still...

well one more question:-
    the steering also feels very light during cold starts ? is there anything to do the steering response with ECU ?
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It's all there in the Start/Stop thread mate.

I've never experienced this! :)
  8. In manual they have emphasized the point not to hit the accelerator pedal to roar the engine to warm up, as most of the age old diesel engine drivers do so.