1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Trouble with AC - TASS diagnosis doubtful

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Linear, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    I had noticed inadequate cooling in my Linea before the service & mentioned this to the Fortune Cars SA during the annual service. After taking their own time (typical TASS), they came out with the explanation that there is a gas leak from a pipe coupler near the condenser. They are not able to open the coupler & that may need to be changed - probably the condenser too.

Now the car is under extended warranty, which also covers the AC, so I said, please do whatever you need to do & cover it under the EW. They said that the parts have to be ordered & we can carry out the work once the parts arrive. Fine I said, and brought the car home - this time AC not cooling at all.

Fast forward two weeks - I call up Fortune Cars since they didn't call (again typical TASS). Having learned that the parts have arrived, dropped the car on the next weekend. Having left the car there for nearly four days, the SA called me up & said that the condenser will be replaced under EW, but I have to pay for the pipes & coupler which costs bloody 4k. I told him not to start the work.

Went to the workshop next day & the explanation given was this -

They had photographed the area & sent for warranty approvel. However, for covering the warranty, they need photographs from a few different angles. This cannot be done without cutting the pipes and I have to pay for the pipes since they are not covered under EW.

Now all this sounds very fishy to me. I don't understand why you need to replace the condenser for something as simple as a gas leak. Next part is this photograph business. I somehow feel that they have not been able to diagnose the problem in the first place. At present, I have brought the car back from them without having the work done.

Anybody having a similar experience? or anybody experienced enough to tell me what could be the problem? Should I get the AC checked from outside AC repair shop?
  2. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Mail FIat directly
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is non-sense.

Go to any other service center, do involve Fiat as well. Send an email to Fiat service and Mr Mangesh (check contact here - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/contacts/7-fiat-india-contact-list.html).
    1 person likes this.
  4. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    Ask them to check O rings. This is a known problem in FIAT vehicles. I have had my vehicle's changed twice already within 2 years !
    1 person likes this.
  5. khoj

khoj Amatore

Dilli
    Hi Linear, I trust that per my reference (provided to you elsewhere) Wilson at Balaji was able to sort out the problem to your satisfaction.

6. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Yes khoj - Thanks a ton for the reference.
  7. Jojoe

Jojoe Timido

Bangalore
    Hi,
    Had encountered a similar issue with my 2010 Linea MJD (run 44k Kms). The AC compressor had become terribly noisy and stopped cooling all of a sudden. Took the car to Concorde motors in Bangalore and got the compressor replaced under EW. They charged me only for the AC gas, which came to Rs.2300 only. All the other charges were taken care by the dealer Extened Warranty. Total bill was around 25k.
    And what I was told was that the insurance company inspector visited the worshop for evaluation, so you ask for the same process, instead of getting pictures taken.