1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Trivial Concerns

Discussion in 'Technical' started by jayadev, Nov 26, 2011.

1. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Most of us are aware of Indian roads,how bad they could be.

At those bad patches and on the pot holes, I see most of the cars slowing down and being driven carefully.While In my case with my PUNTO,I dont feel much of jolt/undulations on road to slow down. (agreed Huge ones need attention ,sure.)

Am i killing the wheels and related mechanically ignorantly or unknowingly?:hit

Would it be one of the cause why we Fiat owners have more niggles in long run than rest of the brands?

What are other scope of improvements possibly with additional Modifications. I Read elsewhere somebody mentioned about ARB which could improve handelling.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Very true. I have seen swifts and scorpios struggling on very bad roads, while I found myself moving past them easily without scraping the underbelly even once. Those who have travelled between Hunsur and Gonikkoppal in Karnataka would better know what I mean by bad roads. From my experience, punto can handle a certain amount of roughness from the driver. Even when I resort to rough driving(very rarely, only when needed), my car never gave the feeling that she is handled roughly.

I personally feel that a lot of the reported "niggles" are because many of us are over concerned, because we own FIATs, which all forums and media claim to have lots of niggles. Not saying that FIATs are the best cars ever made. They have their share of probelms, but like any other automaker.
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The cars are built much stronger than we can imagine and yes they can take some serious abuse but a little care wouldn't go amiss.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Fiat cars are solid . But one should never test it. One should take the same care as one would take in driving a hyundai or Honda. What Jaydeve has pointed out has some truth.
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Initially I was so skeptical about it after hearing lot of negative speculations.
    But now after an year of owning it I have felt deep love .Now I am realizing how much rest of the cars are just hype and cant hold a candle against Fiat .
    I wonder if this kind of gradual growing of Fiat into me was intentional from Italian experts or is it just my feelings.

Do we have an option to have random/routine check of bearings,nuts,bolts,engine mounts,suspension and related moving parts with any good service center? I am afraid to say that I do not expect anything positive from Tass neither I trust "Hathoda"(hammer) mechanics.
    Do I sound pointing towards DIY ?
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Our cars certainly feel much more insulated to road imperfections. Thanks to a solid suspension set up.

However, higher the speed over the rough patches, more the energy the suspension has to absorb. This we must keep in mind. Slowing down might not be necessary, but it can give our suspension an easier life. That's my 2 cents.

I don't think so buddy. Internationally, after a few years, all the bolts are re-torqued with a torque wrench as per factory specs. That helps to keep the car the way it should be. As for the moving parts issues, they make their presence felt when they start making some unnatural noises :) Till then we can just wait and watch.

Cheers.