1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Trivandrum-Bangalore-Hampi-Goa-JogFalls-BekalFort-Trivandrum

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Pran, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Re: Thrissur-Bangalore-Mumbai-Goa-Mangalore-Trivandrum

Have a great trip!
    What do you mean by getting out of a Chinese jail in Bangalore?
  2. ratanshivi

ratanshivi Regolare

Mald (East)
    Re: Thrissur-Bangalore-Mumbai-Goa-Mangalore-Trivandrum

Hey Pal!!

If you are going to Goa - The most Amazing place there is the CSM Resort at Baga Beach. _ Colonial Santa Maria is the Full name - Amazing Row houses on either side of the pool which is in the center and you can walk down to the beach in a few minutes !!

All the Best to you and Your Pals - Drive safe - Have Fun !!
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

Our tastes are matching, Ratan ::T
    check my earlier posts on last page.
    PS: I stayed at CSM twice. Lovely.

4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum

I think it is some software company, don't want to name what comes to my mind ::V
    Pran, Have a great trip!
  5. jiji

jiji Amatore

Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India, India
    Trivandrum
    Grande Punto 1.3

Hey have a fun filled trip!!!
  6. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

You said it Roy !!
    Thanks everyone, after a tiring near-to 3000km driving I am back home. Too busy , at-least for 2 days, to post the detailed travel experience, I am in office now ::V . I will update this thread soon.
    Just to summarize, It was fun all the way, and Goa rocks !! :dancing
  7. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Preparation:
    1. Checked tyre pressure including spare wheel.
    2. Checked all fluid levels.
    3. Checked all papers (PUC expired).
    4. Took additional toolkit including screw driver kit, pipe wrench and player.
    5. Adjusted the windscreen washer to point to the windscreen properly and cleaned the holes with safety pin, manual calibration ;)
    6. Bought 2 bottles of windscreen washer (20ml each). Poured one bottle into the water tank and filled it.
    7. One case of Aquafina
    8. Digicam
    9. Hat
    10. Sun glass
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

21Nov2010 - Trivandrum to Kayamkulam
    2-2.5 hrs drive. Good roads till the boundary of Trivandrum district. Repaired roads till Kollam and good roads after that till Kayamkulam with lots of two wheelers to slow you down.

22Nov2010 - Kayamkulam to Bangalore via Kunnamkulam
    Started at 6.30am and reached Kunnamkulam by 10.30am. NH47 roads are bad at the Thottappaly stretch and after Cherthala on the 4 lane to Cochin. After Cochin we entered the NH17 which is real narrow and no scope for overtaking, but better roads. There was block before Kodungallor for almost 30min. After attending the function and lunch took the Guruvayur-Thrissur route to Thrissur to pick 2 friends from the railway station, travel time 30mins. Started from Thrissur at 1.30pm destination Bangalore.

The Thrissur-Palakkad stretch is horrible, I have done this stretch in 1.5-2hrs some years back, but this time it took almost 3 hrs due to the pathetic state of the road, and thanks to the heavy truck traffic too. Somewhere after near to Walayar check-post I recollected that my PUC was not renewed and stopped at the next testing center. Had tea from a shop nearby and paid 100/- for the PUC testing, it was 5pm by then.

Once into Tamil Nadu roads were good, but the weather was not. Started heavy raining once we passed through Coimbatore till Salem. At some spot on the 4 lane I tried to overtake a truck through the left and suddenly the truck went through a log of rain water and a sudden splash made me blind with all the water on the windscreen. I was traveling at 100+ and stood on top of the brakes since the I was on top of a flyover and it was turning right. It took some seconds before I regained some visibility and was relieved to be on the road safely. Any safety feature that can save you from this type of a situation? I have seen an ad by Michelin for heavy trucks which lowers the level of water being pushed out of the threads. I wonder how many truck drivers/owners will be bothered about others safety. Had light dinner from Salem at 9pm, I take light lunch and dinner while driving long distances and take lots of water. Heavy lunch and dinner makes me tired and less water intake gives me headache,any doctors? ;). Salem to Bangalore was fast in 2hrs, reached my friends house by 11pm. The new flyover from EC is fun to drive with no slow moving vehicles.
  9. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

23Nov2010 - Bangalore to Goa via Hampi
    Started at 8am, lazy lots!!. Took NH7 till Anantapur, magnificent 4 lane road empty, touched 175km/hr on level road after which the road was sloping down which helped me to touch 180km/h. I saw in another forum where a high speedo pic was removed since it is "provocative". If I am permitted and nobody get provocated I can post the pic here. Spent sometime at the Sunflower fields in Bellary, was a rare sight for us. From Ananthapur we took NH63. Guys, no please don't make the same mistake which I made, this route is read bad Reached Hampi by 5pm, almost 9 hr to drive 385kms. Hampi is a marvel, the Vijayanagara Empire, a reminder to the history books we read in our schools, a must see.

Started from Hampi at 6.30pm and continued on NH63 since I had no other option. From here on the roads are good only for trucks, not even recommended for SUVs. Huge potholes, or should I say craters, big enough to hold a car, all wheel inside the crater. By 9pm we reached Dharwad, still some 150+km to reach Goa and we stopped for filling diesel. Had a chat a lorry driver who recommended to leave this route and take the route to Karwar southwest and then travel north to Goa, he said we will reach earlier if we are ready to run double the distance. We had no oher choice but to believe him, and he was right! These lorry drivers are a boon sometimes, again we able able to touch 3 digit speeds after leaving Anantapur. I was tired by 11pm and handed over the steering wheels to my friend.

Once you are at Margoa there are no signs to Panaji and will be stranded unless you are lucky to see anyone on the roads, we were not. Reached Calagute via Panaji/Panji(as known locally) by 4am at our resort Ronil, totally exhausted and was relieved that we reached our resort. Woke up the security who asked us to wait till 7 am for the reception to open. WHAT THE ---- !!!!, we booked 2 rooms for 2 nights and was confirmed, but they don't function till 7am! Woke up to the reception guy and talked to him, who had least idea about the booking. Then we went around knocking some hotels and resorts, some had asked us to come by 10am!. Finally managed to find the Goa Tourism hotel which had "any-time checkin" but was rather old, dirty and had room. Finally by 5.30am we we able to straighten our backs, a total of 22.5hrs of driving! I could have reached Mumbai earlier if I had traveled straight on NH4. This is one leg of the trip which I don't want to remember, or repeat again.
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

24Nov 2010 - Goa
    It is already 24th but since we slept till 8.30 I begin a new day :). The first question that we heard at a junction for route inquiry stop was "ladkhi chahiye?", which we got used to after sometime. Had a good breakfast from the GTDC restaurant and went straight to the Aguda Fort, spent some time there and went to a beach-side fort, don't remember the name. After that we went straight to Baga beach. Spent the entire day on the beach having food, drinks, in the sea, and of course the beautiful mermaids. By 5pm we went to Condolim beach for water sports and did some crazy water rides except for the para-gliding, I am afraid of heights! Had lunch, lunchnner and dinner and spent almost 20000/- on food and drinks alone. The food in Goa is just amazing, all the local restaurants serve real good food and we couldn't control our diet, hunger kept striking ever now and then. Reached back our room by 11pm and were dead tired. 1 day is not enough to cover Goa, plan for at-least 2 days or 3 if you are with family.

25Nov2010 - Goa to Bekal Fort via Jog falls.
    Started at 7.30am, earliest departure so far :). Took NH17 and Reached Jog Falls by 4pm. We wanted to take the Kumta-Siddapura Rd by somehow missed this route and took the NH206, good roads for some 20km and after that its pathetic. This is not the right time to visit Jog falls, but we wanted to have a glimpse of our highest falls. It was so silent and calm, unlike the pics which I saw on the web. Spent sometime there and met with a group of rally drivers from UK who were on a charity drive from Goa to Kerala on brand new Ambassadors with consecutive Delhi reg numbers. We decided to take SH50 to enter NH17 after Bhatkal, but again we missed it and had to come back to Honavar. NH17 is in a bad state after Honavar. Surathkal is the worst stretch with the max speed we could achieve being 10km/hr for 1hr, yes we could do less than 10km in an hour passing through Surathkal. After Mangalore the roads were better and we reached Bekal Fort by 11pm. Bad roads again resulted in bad timings.

26Nov 2010 Bekal Fort to Trivandrum
    Our resort was at the gate of Bekal fort so luckily the late arrival did not stop us from a visit to Bekal fort. The fort opens only by 8.30 so we had breakfast and waited for the fort to be open and spent some time in the fort. Nothing like a fort on seaside. Started from the fort by 10.30am via Kanhangad, Kunnamkulam, Thrissur To Trivandrum. Avoided the Kodungallur route through NH17 since its too narrow and heavy traffic. Reached Cochin by 9pm and did not want to stop for dinner, so bought some bun, bread and fruits and continued our journery to Trivandrum. Reached back home by 12.15am. Full Stop.