1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Trip to Tirthan from gurgaon via Shimla– Narkanda – Hatu – Jalori pass

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by pradeepsangwan, Jul 20, 2014.

1. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is my first travelogue and I should say the first write up of any of my experience. So I am just trying to pen down what I experienced in my trip.
    Thought of the trip:
    It was 13th of May2014 when I was just fade up of my work and was too busy since starting of this year and I just wanted to go somewhere and I was not sure where should I go and got a call from my wife when I was in office asking me should we plan an outing and I just mentioned a BIG YES.
    Few days back I have listen this place TIRTHAN’s name from one of my school friends and he has mentioned lot of goodies about the same, so I got this idea of going there and I also planned to visit Narkanda and planned a night’s stay at hotel Hatu. My birthday was on 17[SUP]th[/SUP] of May so thought of celebrate it with my wife, son in the calmness of Tirthan.
    Journey Plan:
    Initial plan was like just start in a flash on night of 13[SUP]th[/SUP] itself and reach Narkanda in morning and then stroll around there on 14[SUP]th[/SUP] and 15[SUP]th[/SUP] but as you know things always don’t go in your favor even when you plan everything properly and this trip was not at all planned. Tirthan is not a place where everybody goes and presence of very less number of hotels also makes stay availability an issue. But this hotel issue resolved by friend from whom I got my idea of travelling to Tirthan.
    Took leave for 14[SUP]th[/SUP] and did below stuff and also packing for whole family was required as my kiddu was also going with us:
    1) Booked Hotel Hatu for night of 15thMay
    2) Booked 2 nights 16[SUP]th[/SUP] and 17th in Tirthan
    3) Purchased snacks and other stuff to be consumed during our journey.
    Start of the journey :
    It was around 00:18 am mid-night of 14[SUP]th[/SUP] when we started from Gurgaon
    Odometer reading : 75729

Reached Zirakpur road turning towards Shimla at 4:51am in 4hrs and 30mins odometer reading now 76011 and punto returned 23.1 km/ltr distance travelled 282km,

I planned my first break in Shimla and reached Shimla around 7:30am
    We had our first break for the breakfast and tea at a local dhaba in the outskirts of Shimla.

Food was really awesome I didn’t remember the name of that small dhaba.
    This location was very scenic and we stayed there almost 45-50 mins.

After breakfast we started again and stopped somewhere near to Narkanda and clicked some pics and strolls around and spent 20-30 min there.

Started again and reached Hatu Hotel by 11:30
    IMG975.jpg

IMG976.jpg

IMG966.jpg

IMG968.jpg

IMG959.jpg

IMG960.jpg

IMG961.jpg

Punto delivered 19.9 km/ltr .. this includes places around hatu.

View from hotel Hatu:
    DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0071.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg

DSCN0101.jpg

Somebody told us that a lake is near hatu J :) but actually that was a pond ;) but during our search for that Lake we seen interiors of hatu place where generally tourists don’t visit
    View Around Hatu :
    DSCN0108.jpg

DSCN0110.jpg

DSCN0113.jpg

DSCN0131.jpg

DSCN0132.jpg

DSCN0134.jpg

Apple and Cherry gardens around Narkanda:

DSCN0135.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

Women from Himachal
    DSCN0147.jpg

After this we left for hotel .. as I was also very tired without sleep

Day2: Visit to Hatu Peak

We woke up early to give the visit to hatu peak as we also need to left for Tirthan valley on the same day. Way to hatu peak was very thin and steep. You will always pray that nothing should come from opposite direction as once something is coming than you need to plan for crossing each other and if some foolish and egoist is coming then its really your bad luck.
    Mine Racechipped Punto was actually not too much enjoying this steepness; I should say Default Company setting of punto is better for hill driving racechip is good for open highways.
    I stopped my car just 100mtrs before the peak as I was wondering if any car parking available at peak.

DSCN7497.jpg

A look of the super highway to peak:
    DSCN0185.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

DSCN0118.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    View from the top: DSCN0194.jpg

DSCN0195.jpg
    DSCN0222.jpg
    DSCN0225.jpg

Hatu temple: DSCN0199.jpg

Time was aroung 1:00pm and distance to the destination was around 110 – 115 km as target time to reach there was around 1hr and 41min as per google maps via JALLORI PASS.
    We started at 1:00 from temple first 20 kms and last 20 were actually ok to drive when you compare it to the remaining 70-80 km in between.

Story of the middle 70-80 kms, I was driving towards jallori pass in full excitement as I have never seen a PASS, road was very thin in whole route you can say a little wider than the way to hatu peak . I was enjoying driving on these thin roads and slowly and silently my enjoy was turning concern and stress as that road was turning in to THE ROAD TO HELL and and shown me the roughest and toughest terrain I have ever seen or drive. I was feeling every KM as 100kms and road was in such a bad shape that I should say that actually there was no road and it was just next to the driving on a hill having actually no identified road. Drive towards Jallori pass was very steep during climb and steeper during going down on the other side and next 70-80 km were covered in the first gear only. My excitement was turning into spine chilling thriller till the time we reached Jallori pass and I actually did not enjoy view at pass as it was getting dark and we were left with halfway to tirthan.
    Punto was just crying for mercy during coming down RPM was shooting more than 4000 in the first gear it was very steep and should be a steepness of minimum 60 degree angle if I am not exaggerating much. We were looking at the warning hoardings coming in our way suggesting the use of first gear instead of applying breaks. I kept on praying god to see a drivable road but none of my prayers listen as GOD wants me to drive on this way. I was actually I so worried of my wife’s health as she was suffering of backache.
    I can write bundles of pages to explain my experience of that road but that will become boring as I don’t have PICS to support.
    After spending total 9 hrs in journey from the hatu to tirthan which was of 1hr 40 min as per google maps, we finally managed to reach” Mungla” a small himalyan village in Tirthan valley and it was all dark too dark at 10:00pm.

For God’s grace “Trishla guest house under Home stay” our place to stay at valley was quite comfortable but not calm as this is situated on the river bank and we were able to listen the music played by water .
    DSCN7633.jpg

Hotel owner Mr Gian singh renowned in the area as Pradhanji was a very good man and has arranged our food at that time and food was absolutely of brilliant homely taste as if we have reached our home and we slept after food.
    2 people like this.
  3. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Day: A very good morning to me and my family

DSCN7522.jpg
    DSCN7545.jpg
    DSCN7544.jpg

and my brave warrior, Yes Warrior is the right word for her
    DSCN7539.jpg
    DSCN7540.jpg

It was a resting day and we spent whole day there only:
    View around:
    DSCN7562.jpg
    DSCN7571.jpg
    DSCN7603.jpg
    DSCN7616.jpg
    DSCN7641.jpg
    DSCN7733.jpg

To be continued......................
    1 person likes this.
  4. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Day4: Small trekking and strolling in village
    Youngest trekker: DSCN7759.jpg
    and a failed mission to reach a waterfall few KM on a nearby hill.

View from the hill
    DSCN7749.jpg
    Youngest one refusing to stop his naughty acts which stops me to go further to hill DSCN7754.jpg
    Strolling in village
    wheat fields DSCN7774.jpg
    DSCN7799.jpg
    DSCN7814.jpg
    DSCN7816.jpg
    DSCN7820.jpg
    DSCN7837.jpg
    DSCN7840.jpg

After spending 1 hr in village we came back to our hotel to sit around the river and enjoy the music of water and yes a good sleep was required to start our day early

Day5 : day of return to Gurgaon
    Its 7 am in morning
    Odometer reading : IMG980.jpg
    Distance travelled till now: IMG981.jpg
    Average returned by punto: IMG982.jpg

View while coming back:
    Small water fall but at a height over a hill
    DSCN7878.jpg

A temple in our way:
    DSCN7879.jpg

A lake in the way:
    DSCN7889.jpg

Reached Gurgaon at 19:00 evening
    Odometer reading: IMG983.jpg

Total trip: IMG984.jpg

Mileage returned in whole trip: IMG985.jpg

DSCN7745.jpg
    2 people like this.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Greenery all around.

This looks heaven -
    65405d1405860403-trip-tirthan-gurgaon-via-shimla%96-narkanda-%96-hatu-%96-jalori-pass-dscn7522.jpg
    Manishkumar and pradeepsangwan like this.
  6. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, Ravi this place is heaven and it is at the Gateway to The Great Himalayan National Park...

7. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    "After spending total 9 hrs in journey from the hatu to tirthan which was of 1hr 40 min as per google maps"

Never believe in 'time taken by' figures given in Google maps, specially when you are travelling on country side or hilly terrain as these values are calculated assuming a highway road in US. My general time calculation for hill drive in Himalayas in @ 30kmph
  8. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That's a nice and detailed write up. Good pics too.
    1 person likes this.
  9. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Only way from Hatu to Tirthan has shattered all calculations otherwise google maps was quite fine. I think google maps is not that smart that it can suggest time to journey as per actual road condition :wink: