1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

trip to ladakh query?

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by manasmadaan, Apr 27, 2011.

1. we are planning for a ladakh trip from chandigarh via manali in late june/early july

we ll be most probably 4 people. i ve a fiat linea mjd. Is it advisable tto go to ladakh in this car or is it better to hire a taxi as swlf driven vehicles for hire are not easy to find here.

Suggestions are welcome :)
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Complete No No for Linea in late June and early July. Huge slush on climb to rotang pass with mile deep truck's unseen pot holes would make harsh damages to underbody. Further more the long body makes it difficult to cross nalas and deep trenches, occasional hits on front and rear bumpers could not be avoided.

And there is no FIAT service center probably in 600kms radius so any breakdown would be painfull and very costly on pocket. Better hire a SUV and enjoy your trip without any fuss and tensions :)

Juley :)
  3. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    DONT GO THERE IN YOUR LINEA.......
    You will scrape the underbody almost million times there with potholed roads..... take a SUV if you really want to drive... road and conditions are not suitable for a rookie...
  4. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    Agree with Viny as far as MJD/NA are concerned, the low ground clearance and soft suspension being the biggest reason.
    Because of colder weather this year, there should be a delay in opening of the roads. Which implies a delay in road repair by BRO. At many places, the road "surface" is the bed of a stream, so with MJD's soft suspension, it may be very very painful.
    Only TJet owners may think about it courtesy the firmer suspension and higher ground clearance, but it is risky because the nearest service centre is at Mandi / Srinagar.
    People regularly go there in Marutis / Santros etc. - and in these vehicles, you may get hit with a few stones, but nothing seriously damaging for the car. And the drive is awesome - challenging and with beautiful views all around - it is some experience!
    Btw, I remember having seen a few NHCs, when I went to Leh last year - and the nearest service centre for them is at Jammu / Mandi.

Disclaimer: I covered the Srinagar - Siachen axis in a Scorpio. Have been to Garhwal Himalayas, where roads are much better, in our old 800 with 4 adults with no problems at all.
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    manasmadaan thank you for posting this thread.

Guys we are also planning to visit Rohtang Pass & if possible Ladakh in my Punto. We are four. I have one question that When rainy season gets over in that area. We are planning to go there in Sept or October. We are four.

As I have Punto & it has GC of 173mm so is it enough to go there.

Should I expect any technical help from FIAT India. I am ready to promote FIAT as I am going to Rohtang PASS in my 1.2 Punto Emotion.
  6. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    Hi Kedar, monsoon season in Manali is 1st July to 1st Sep, and it does not extend beyond RohtangLa. Irrespective of monsoon, the Himalayas experience almost daily precipitation in the afternoon. Early September should be a good time to go from landslide perspective because the glacial melt would have reduced with the summer nearing its end. In October, snowfall may cause RohtangLa to be closed. FYI, the Leh Manali road used to open only from 1 July to 15 Sep or so till a few years back. And it was primarily because Rohtang (which is the lowest of the three passes enroute, but experiences the maximum precipitation) used to get snowbound. BRO has been working on increasing the period when it remains open, but it remains weather dependant to a large extent.
    I will pass the other queries. All I can say is that you would be lucky to find any non-Tata (truck) mechanic between Manali and Leh, that too only at Keylong & Upshi. If you get stuck in between with a major problem, I guess you would have to rely on BRO / state govt. to tow your vehicle (even if it is a maruti).
  7. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    I think its doable in Punto, given that even santro, alto and nano has done this :)
    Also Punto doesnt have issue of hanging front and rear and with shorter wheel base there are less chances of hitting boulders underneath. But yes you would be required to be extra carefull while crossing the Nalhas, and by the september end all the bridges over nalhas lose out there wooden blocks, so one might have to cross it by going through waters and pagal nalha is something one would never like to encounter :D

1.2 with 4 people and luggage might be slightly over loading for punto doing those terrians. Do carry spare clutch, brake pads, engine oil, coolant, light bulbs, fuses, plugs etc. You would not find them there :D
  8. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    +1. Add a fan belt to the list.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    few more Inputs will be appreciated guys. Thanks a lot for Advise abk1980 & Viny