1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Trip to Chennai

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Joseph, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Joseph

Joseph Novizio

Trivandrum
    Hi

I am planning for a trip to Chennai from Trivandrum. I am preferring the route via Senkottai, Rajapalayam, Madurai and then onto for Chennai. Does anybody have any idea of the road conditions in these areas till Madurai. The roads till Senkottai is good, but not sure after that.Can I have suggestions on this please?

Cheers
    Joseph Bejoy
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I had driven in my Linea from Madurai to Kuttralam on NH 208 via Thirumangalam, Srivilliputtur, Rajaplayam and Tenkasi in August 2011. It was a butter-smooth 2 lane NH. Nothing to worry. Crossing Rajapalayam is bit tough during peak hours.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Joseph

Joseph Novizio

Trivandrum

ThankYou J Ravi.
    By the way how much time did it take for you from Madurai to Tenkasi?

Cheers
    Joseph Bejoy
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    But, why not take TVM-Nagarcoil-Madurai-Chennai? I have done this stretch. You will get 4L from Nagarcoil to Chennai.

I have done Kanyakumari-Dindivanam in 6.5 hours including 45 min lunch break at Madurai in my Linea MJD :).
  5. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Joseph - drive via Nagarkoil - Tirunelveli - Mdu if you would like 4 lanes. In madurai - drive via the city if you are entering it early morning - noon or night instead of the tirumangalam bye-pass. The byepass road is not good at alll.

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Hey I drove my Punto from Nagarkoil to Chennai City in 08:15 mins including two 45 mins break - one for breakfast in madurai and second in Melmaruvathru where everyone went inside the temple except me & my Punto seeking blessings from outside. Does this mean than I am driving as fast as "speedu" ramesh? Could not believe myself.

Ramesh - did this trip happened in your current avatar or during your earlier old - sober - one?
    2 people like this.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    We left Madurai TVS BP outlet at 2 pm and reached Kuttralam by 6 pm including one hour break at Srivilliputtur for temple visit.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Joseph ,
    I have taken the route last week in my punto . If you think that Road from TVM till Shenkotai is good then no worries . That stretch is the bad part of the whole journey :)

From Shenkotai to madurai is very good 2 lane road .

I started from Chennai at around 3 AM - reached Madurai by 8 and had 1 hr break over there . Madurai to Thenmala I took around 4hrs with around 1 hr break in between .

As Ravi Sir said , crossing Rajapalayam at peak hrs is tough .But Roads are good .

Ajit
    1 person likes this.
  8. Joseph

Joseph Novizio

Trivandrum
    Sir

Chennai via Nagercoil Tirunelveli is the best option but the Senkottai route is more beatiful to drive through. I have been till Senkottai via Tenamala and these roads are surrounded by natural beauty. Thats why I planned for the latter route. But now in a state of confusion. Four laners are inviting as well.

Thanks
    Joseph Bejoy

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Thank You Cuty Red

Good to hear that. Then I should be having one comfortable drive.

Cheers
    Joseph Bejoy
  9. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Ajit - did you drive from Chennai to Madurai in 5 hours? Dont kid man!! It is 90 KMS average per hour and to achieve that you should have drive mostly between 130-160.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

Agreed Joseph. I have been through that road as well earlier. You can take the road depending upon your plans!!
    1 person likes this.
  10. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai
    Srini.. I did Chennai Madurai once in 4 hrs 15mins in my TJet with a fulk tank fuel coming to red!:D

In my earlier MJD I have once done Chennai Tirunelveli in 6hrs flat with avg speed of 98kmhr. That was the fastest I have ever done, closely followed by my TJet in 6 hrs 30mins...with me having to refuel in Madurai for the TJet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk