1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Trip of a Lifetime

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by L0dest0ne, Sep 16, 2015.

1. L0dest0ne

L0dest0ne Novizio

New Delhi
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My wife and I, in our azure 90 HP Punto, finally did the Trip that we have been fantasising about for a couple of years. :):)

We made the drive from Delhi to my hometown Kochi and back, tracing the monsoon route along the Western Ghats and the west coast and back through the Deccan. I did the driving, while my wife continued to be an expert navigator.

A brief summary of the journey is below:

Total distance covered: 6610 km
    Total no. of driving days: 12 (16 in all)
    Max. distance / time covered in a day: 1008 km (Delhi to Anand in 15 Hrs)
    Average Mileage: 22.03 kmpl

All thanks to the Punto for an unforgettable experience with nary a trouble!

Cheers!
  2. Pavan Puvvada

Pavan Puvvada Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Linea 1.3
    A nice travelogue on it way:)
  3. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    eagerly waiting for the detailed report. and what about that 1000km delhi to anand! how were the roads?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 16, 2015 ---
    eagerly waiting for the detailed report. and what about that 1000km delhi to anand! how were the roads?
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Bravo! @LOdestOne, I have been contemplating this, but most worried for the unknown. Now, thanx to you, it will soon become KNOWN. I have made plans for a trial run to Kudremukh via the Deccan this month-end, but not yet finalized. My other thoughts are to do the major part of western ghat in a detailed trip later and presently do the Deccan, while travelling to Vellore from Indore. But your travelogue will help me a lot.

Eagerly waiting!

Ravi_M
  5. L0dest0ne

L0dest0ne Novizio

New Delhi
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you Ravi_M and Harryaviator!

The travelogue will take some more time unfortunately. In the mean time we managed to put together a video of the trip.

12 days in under 12 minutes!

The youtube link for the video is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=6&v=KMtXkPNo9CA

Watch fall screen with volume turned up. Hope you enjoy it!

@ harryaviator: The 1000 km ride from Delhi is mostly good and straightforward. Its basically like this.

NH8 from Delhi towards Jaipur. At Chandwaji turn right Ajmer and stay on NH8 till Kishengarh. Expect traffic and jams near Manesar and Dharuhera. After Dharuhera, road is mostly good with only few diversions. The expressway till Kishengarh is excellent.

From Kishengarh, get on to NH79 till Chittorgarh through Nasirabad and Bhilwara. From Chittorgarh take NH76 on byepass tilll Udaipur. Both these highways are four-laned but patchy. Good in parts and awful elsewhere especially on the return side.

The NH8 drive out of Udaipur and till the Gujarat border is not great in terms of surface, but very scenic. After the border, roads improve markedly. At Ahmedabad make sure to get on the Sardar Patel Ring Road to avoid traffic and then to the National Expressway 1.

The NE1 is superbly surfaced and very well managed. Follow the direction boards and take the exit for Anand.
    UnniMJD, ManoharV, pabhishek and 4 others like this.
  6. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Super video, this reminds me the spirit of Overland stories.
  7. L0dest0ne

L0dest0ne Novizio

New Delhi
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks. I haven't watched them myself. Now that you mentioned them, I will :)
  8. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    @L0dest0ne,

Congratulations on the wonderful drive experiance!!!
    Great video there. Very much inspiring, Western Ghats is in true glory during monsoons :)

waiting for the detailed travelogue.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Lovely video, enjoyed it watching. And I am sure you will have lots of pictures as well to share.
  10. L0dest0ne

L0dest0ne Novizio

New Delhi
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks Ravi & Sujit! It was the difficulty my wife had in choosing which photos to share that lead us to make the video :)

I tried to embed the video from Youtube here was unable to. If someone can help with it, will help other members to watch the video.