1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Travelogue - Bangalore->kanyakumari->rameshwaram->Bangalore

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by theblack, May 31, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Hi Guys,
    I'm planning a road trip to Kanyakumari and rameshwaram shortly and would like to know about the road conditions and the best route available , if anyone has recently traveled on that route.

My first choice is NH-7 since it forms a part of the GQ the roads should be good, any advice on this?
    Bangalore to Kanyakumari
    Bangalore > Krishnagiri > salem > karur > dindigul > Madhurai > tirunlveli > Kanyakumari
    (NH-7 all the way)
    Bangalore, Karnataka, India to Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps

Kayakumari to rameshwaram

Kanyakumari > tirunlveli > ottapidaram > rameshwaram
    (NH-7 , SH-75, SH-77, SH-38, NH-87) <in that order>
    Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu, India to Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps

Rameshwaram to bangalore
    (NH-85, NH-44, NH-7) <in that order>
    Rameshwaram > Madhurai > dindigul > home
    Rameshwaram, Tamil Nadu, India to Bangalore, Karnataka, India - Google Maps

Please advice
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    You got everything right theblack. What else you need?

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

just wondering how the road conditions are except for NH-7.
    I only know about NH-7 rest i'm unaware of
  4. raj@tfi

Great. I am as well planning to do a trip to Kannyakumari from Blore. I did drive to Madurai n then to Kodai couple of months back.

Yes, you need to hit Madurai first via Salem n Dindigul. From Madurai I guess Kannyakumari is around 260 or 280 kms. Madurai is around 430kms from Blore.

The road till Madurai is great. Not sure from Madurai till destination.

But its going to be terribly hot now. When do you plan to decide on the trip.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  5. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    Ok. Bangalore to Kanyakumari will be excellent 4 lane road. Tirunelveli to Ramanathapuram will be strictly below average as per the reports I have. Rameshwaram to Madurai will be average to good.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

i checked out the weather pattern and its manageable now..
    rains start from june is what is quoted.. I'm just taking a risk and moving along..
    its been a very very long time since i planned for this drive .. finally managed to make it.. So i really want to give this a shot now :)

Thanks for the route info, ramjn
  7. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    Kanyakumari will be good from June. But, Rameshwaram will be extremely hot. I once visited there in October and even that time it was hot there.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Now that's a sad start. ..
    I think I need to keep another place in mind after kanyakumari. ..Hmmm
  9. ramjn

Linea 1.3
    Think about this. But, I don't know how many days you have planned for this trip.

1. Bangalore->Salem->Namakkal->Trichy->Tanjore (Halt here and visit the Big Temple)
    2. Tanjore -> Pudukottai -> Karaikudi (Cover Pillayarpatti if you want to) -> Ramanathapuram -> Rameswaram (Halt and visit temple)
    3. Rameswaram -> Ramanathapuram -> Ottapidaram -> Tirunelveli -> Kanniyakumari (Halt and visit places in and around)
    4. Kanniyakumar -> Madurai (visit Meenakshi temple if you have time) -> Salem -> Bangalore
    1 person likes this.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Returned from a wonderful trip to the TIP of INDIA.
    What a place , what a drive and what fun.. "Nothing like anything before"

So the D-Day was decided to be 21st and I was up at 4AM with a huge smile and began preparing to embark on the longest journey I had undertaken till date.
    It was to be to Kanyakumari , Rameshwaram. Finished morning chores had a cup of coffee and then heard a few Bajaj Pulsars pulling into my drive way, hurray my company had arrived, all set to go.
    My Abarth rolled out of the garage gingerly and tasted the first bit of road ready to munch in all 1600kms of it .

Bidding my parents good bye for the next 4 days we set out by 5:45AM.
    Almost immediately we stopped a few roads ahead for a cup of coffee and some snacks for the trip and finally settled down for a 600 kms drive .

Bangalore -> hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Salem -> karur -> Dindigul -> Madurai -> Paramagudi -> Rameshwaram.
    Since we were well aware that we had a to pay toll at a lot of places we avoided taking the NICE road and the Electronic city elevated road to hosur.
    At 6:30AM in the morning we had hardly anyone to bother us anyway so we didn't find the need to pay extra toll.

Its pretty much NH-7 all the way ( Golden quadrilateral). So there is nothing to worry about in terms of traffic/ road sense .
    The drive was pure bliss , nearing Krishnagiri one can see the achievements of man and Nature and simply gaze in awe at the marvel.
    man with his wonderful construction skills and Nature with its beautiful mountains and clear sky.
    After the toll booth we stopped for some chit chat and the pics are a result of that.

Gearing up again we hit the road. NH-7 is one beautiful road and even with full load in my car I was easily able to manage 160kmph.
    One can hold the car above 130kmph with ease and before we know it we had reached Madurai .
    Stopping for Lunch at madhurai we had our tank full and left by 2PM , Next stop Rameshwaram.

About 20kms from Rameshwaram City we caught our first sight of white sand beaches and the great "Indian Ocean". It was the first time that any of us had seen an ocean and it was very very evident by the fact that the waves were at least 10ft tall even just before it hits the beach. Now that's an Ocean we thought.
    We found a small entry point near "Mandamapm" and took it to directly get onto the beach and we rolled the windows down for a shock of our lifetime.

The moment the windows came down we were blasted by gale forced winds and my guess is it was at least 40kmph winds. Never had I experienced Nature at that force.
    we were finding it hard to even open the doors and once opened if it was left unattended , Mother nature would slam it back such was the force . Anyway getting down and getting a taste of it we were excited to see what was coming next.
    Since my black beauty took us safely till there , I paid a tribute to her by taking her directly onto the sand for a photo shoot.

When Italy met India's tip
    Boys having the first taste of sand/beach/wind and salt in their mouths ;-)

having spent a good 30mins enjoying there we moved ahead into the arms of another beauty.
    The Pambam bridge ( a.k.a indira gandhi bridge)
    the longest bridge in India constructed over a bay at a length of 2.2kms.

Evening was fast approaching and we needed a place to bunk but we were still full of energy so began sight seeing right away.
    We went to the "Ramanatha Swamy Temple".
    Coming out of the temple it was already 8PM and now we were really tired.
    Enroute we had inquired about places to stay and many suggested "Hotel TamilNadu". It is a TN govt initiative so we were guaranteed to good service.
    Since Rameshwaram itself is a small place its not hard to find hotels and places to visit sharing same colonies..
    I was happy that the hotel had ample parking space and with a bit of broken tamil i requested the guys to let me park my car right opposite our room, They obliged and i was happy.

Day 2, (Friday 22nd)
    Things on the agenda were Danushkodi , Gulf of mannar oceaneruim .
    I woke up at 6AM, stepped out for some fresh air and saw that the birds and nicely decorated my car, so I started washing my car now. our neighbours who had already started to thing that I was nuts driving down from Karnataka were even more amused at the fact that I'm on a trip and instead of thinking of places to visit I'm here cleaning my car.
    (I thought to myself, well this is what FIAT does, its not for everyone and everyone cannot understand what FIAT means) ;-) smiled and continued my work.

At the same time I encountered a tours guy who offered to take us to Danushkodi (an abandandoned island 15kms from Rameshwaram).
    After negotiating the price we agreed (Little did I know that this was going to be the best decision of my life..)
    I will just let the photos do the talking here.

We were all just mesmorized at the beauty of this place.
    Danushkodi was suppose to be the last Railway point and people wanting to reach Rameshwaram from here would have to get down and then take a bullock cart ride to reach Rameshwaram.
    But in the 60s there was a cyclone which wiped out everything and till date there are 0 inhabitants , one can see the ruins of boats , railway line, water reservoirs all left as is...
    This was the highlight of our trip.

We spent a good 4 hrs there and by the time we were out of this place it was nearing 2PM and we went back to the hotel for some well deserved lunch.
    Deciding that we will take a look at the oceanerium (India's only Oceanerium) we ate what we could and went in search of this place.
    Before leaving Bangalore I had googled and found out that this place is somewhere near gulf of mannar but we just were not able to find this place.
    None of us knew Tamil well enough to exactly put across what we wanted, so depressed we just left that place .
    Next stop Kanyakumari

Route Info
    Rameshwram to kolathur -> ECR . Roads are really good.
    From ECR one takes a left reach the Chennai Highway . This is good for about 20 kms there after construction is going on and the roads are bad with single lane traffic.
    Once this is crossed you reach NH-7 and again bliss prevails.

We reached kanyakumari by 10:30PM and started looking for a nice place to stay.
    Having experienced hotel Tamil Nadu we were keen on choosing the same place but then we decided to find something else .
    After searching the entire stretch we decided to stay at a hotel called "Sea face".
    Looking out of our balcony this is what we saw.
    Need I say more??

Again I'll just let the pics do the talking.
    Thiruvalluvar Statue, Kanyakumari

Vivekananda Memorial.

Front view of the Memorial

Stairway to heaven

Finishing up the trip we finally sat down for a few beers and slept early hoping to get up by 9Am and leave by 10 at least..
    Everyone was so tired that we woke up at 10:30 and decided to leave by 12:30PM.
    But none were concerned because what lay ahead was NH-7 and pure speed would take us home early.

We left kanyakumari at 12:30 bracing ourselves for the work ahead from Monday and reached Blr by 10:30PM with stop over for lunch at Salem.
    Everyone safe and sound , we happy said good bye and I locked up my room for a well deserved sleep.
    This was a milestone for me and for my Black Beauty.
    Why?? because,

=================================== FARE DETAILS ====================================
    1.) Hotel TamilNadu (Rameshwaram)
    1 Night -> 2000rs

2.) Hotel Sea Face ( Kanyakumari)
    2 Nights -> 2130Rs

3.) Danushkodi Jeep Fare -> 1100

4.) Fuel -> 5450Rs ( Still have 1000rs worth of fuel left)

Total cost per person for 1 day (Total 4 members)
    (Food/Travel/Room/fuel/perks) -> 1100Rs
    19 people like this.