1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Traveling to Ooty

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by mayurshah, Jul 30, 2013.

1. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

Banagalore
    This 15 August I am planning a trip to ooty from Bangalore, Kindly suggest me on following points.
    1) which is the best route from Bangalore ( I have mapmy india gps device)
    3) Places not to b missed in ooty
    2) Will be driving ghat for the 1st time..pls give important tips as I have heard it has 32 hair pin bends
    3) Before journey what things to be checked on my Mjd Punto

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    I never been to ooty nor i am an good/expert driver.

All i wish to say is: Drive safe, in corners/hair pins honk 1s or twice to make sure morons dont come your way when you are climbing. While driving down, never switch off engine to save fuel. When tired, lay by and take rest :)

Ooty now is really good place but very cold. One of my friend visited there just 2 weeks back. Its really cold, but romantic weather :D

Btw there is an article here about preparations for long drive. Please read it. If cant find here, def at TeamBHP.
  3. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

Banagalore
    Thanks zen , will check team bhp

4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Bangalore>Mysore>Gundlupet>Bandipur>Masinagudi>Ooty. MMI also shows the same route. The roads are good. Please note that Bandipur road is closed from 9 pm to 6 am daily. So, plan accordingly.
    Botonical gardens, Dodda Betta, boating on the lake and Sims park, Coonoor.
    The ghat road was fine when we drove to Ooty during September 2012 for TFI meet. The vehicle climbing up the hill should be given priority. While negotiating the hair-pin bends, keep-left rule cannot be followed. So, the vehicle climbing down the hill should wait sufficiently above the curve until the vehicle climbing the hill completes negotiating the curve. Most of the drivers follow the road-manners and etiquette. Drive carefully. Nothing to worry.
    Check the tyre pressure/oil/fluid levels, have tankful of fuel, carry all the tools/puncture repair kit/jack/portable compressor/first-aid kit/spare fuses/torch/umbrella etc.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
    3 people like this.
  5. rainy

rainy Amatore

Bangalore
    There are multiple routes. If you're travelling with family, I suggest you take the SH17. On a long weekend, this is going to be crowded, but it has places to stop and rest that will be acceptable to all. Climbing up the ghats is not a whole lot different - make sure that you drive in the correct gear, honk before you take curves and remember that climbing up a hill is not a race.

- - - Merged Post - - -

+ to what Ravi sir said :)
  6. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

Banagalore
    Thanks ravi sir and Eainy

7. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, most of the drivers will suddenly have manners and etiquette in a ghat road. Experienced it many times. I wish they were the same in other roads too.
    2 people like this.
  8. rainy

rainy Amatore

Bangalore
    When faced with injury/death, people usually end up being religious/good/considerate ;-)
    1 person likes this.
  9. There is death staring any one using the roads these days that is the actual danger but there missing some thing that is fear.
    In case of ghat roads fear although unreal plays on mind of drivers about possible danger:)
    1 person likes this.
  10. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    @Mayur:
    1) which is the best route from Bangalore ( I have mapmy india gps device):
    Bangalore-kanakapura Road-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Teppakad-Turn Left (Bridge)-Masinagudi entrance-start 32 hairpin bends-Ooty
    While driving back, try to come via Gudalur or Mettupalyam just for the fun of it. Gudalur route has some good vistas as well.
    Try to drive from Ooty to Kotagiri via Doddabetta. Awesome roads and less traffic. Even for Connoor.

2) Places not to b missed in ooty:
    Ooty Lake - Boating
    Ooty to Connoor and back - Toy train
    Pykara Boating
    Emerald Lake
    Tea Factory visit
    Botanical Flowerpark
    Kings Ooty Chocolates
    Doddabetta
    Connoor (Sim's park, Dolphins Nose)
    Kotagiri (Kodanadu View point)
    If you want to avoid crowded areas, try the places around Lovedale, Emerald Lake, Avalanche Lake, Red Hills Resort. Few cottages around Kotagiri.
    Better to avoid Ooty town as its always crowded.

3) Will be driving ghat for the 1st time..pls give important tips as I have heard it has 32 hair pin bends
    While going, go through 32 Hairpin bend and enjoy the cars dynamics and MJD torque. This ghat road will test your vehicle in turns and steep inclines.
    Keep your revs around 1500-2000rpm in 2nd gear. Switch-off AC while climbing. Taxi morons are still at large and boleros from Tea factory normal give ways while taking these turns. But, for your safety please use horn at every turn. If you feel the engine is getting heated, just stall the vehicle at roadside and let it kool. But, you should definitely try this route. You will be surprised how early one can reach ooty from Kalahatty route.

4) Before journey what things to be checked on my Mjd Punto
    As Ravi mentioned. In case of issues, local taxi folks are flexible to help. For Diesel topup there is double decker petrol bunk just at the entrance of Ooty circle.
    Nothing much to be concerned about.

Lastly, enjoy the drive and the weather in Ooty.

Food:
    Nalapad's Residency, Pizzas, Dominos, Saravana Bhavan. Ooty town has lots of good variety. There are good nonveg/veg restaurants as well.
    BTW, which hotel are you planning to stay? There should be some off-season rates going on.