1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TrackVehicle

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by neoonwheels, Jun 3, 2010.

1. aditya

aditya Timido

Pune
    Looking forward to this tool. Please also give a thought about using sqlite as a back-end database for the app. It is super fast, super light and very easy to use.
  2. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune
    Thanks guys for the encouragement. :dancing . I am done with the following things:

1. Vehicle, insurance and mileage recording thing.
    2. The graph for mileage is also working good. I am planning for a good analytics thing.
    3. I have added a reminder system which you can set for due service/insurance and the system will keep mailing you about the due service/insurance (Configurable). I am exploring a possibility for SMS reminders
    4. Dumping mileage report (which is shown in graphical form) to Excel file is done and am working on exporting it to Google docs as well.

There must be few defects. I am testing it since 2 days now and fixing them as and when I get them. I will upload the beta release in few days. In pipeline is complete service history and shifting to a light weight database. I will look for SQLlite as well along with MySQL.

Thanks
    Abhi
  3. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Abhi Good job done friend.

Makes me think how passionate we are to maintain our puntos n lineas.
  4. vks

vks

Bangalore
    This would be an instant hit!
    Non-ggeky request:
    Please allow user to put their own FGP picture, I would like to drool at mine at any given chance!
    Any choice for long trips where I can enter toll / entry charges seperately? I just finished a 2860 kms drive through NH4, 17, 212... got lost paying 36, 45, 30, 25, 31...!
  5. @vks - nice suggession
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    There! you already have scope creep. Nice features though :)
  7. :wow
    I already have an excel with the mileage data... will you be providing an import feature.. :wink:
  8. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune
    Nice suggestion vkj. Well, let me first drop the initial release. I can always add stuff which would help you guys.
    The travel diary would be a real nice to have. It would even awesome to let you upload pics to picasa and have a
    link to it within the software. So that along with the numbers you would have a link to the pics.
  9. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

Pune
    How to download this utility:
    Please send me a mail to "linkerror@gmail.com" and I will send you the download location. This is a beta release and is NOT
    stable/accurate. Your suggestions are always welcome. Lets make this a grand success.

System requirements:
    1. Windows XP/2000 machine. Ideally this should work on Vista and 7 as well.
    2. .Net engine 2.0 or later. The installer will point you to the .Net installer if not available on your system (Free s/w)
    3. Microsoft Office 2000 and later (Access and Excel) - I did not get a chance to test it on a clean machine (Without Office)

TrackVehicle:

1. Vehicle information
    This functionality is available to add/modify/delete the vehicle information. You have to first save at least a single vehicle to
    add mileage or insurance details. The vehicle information as of now has minimal and mandatory fields which are compulsory.
    Basic validation on this functionality is done.

2. Insurance information:
    Same as vehicle, you can add/modify/delete insurance details. A single insurance policy is tightly coupled with a single vehicle.
    Basic validation is done on forms which offer this functionality. The main screen has a list box which shows up Insurance policies
    which need renewal. Typically all the policies which are due in a month are shown up here. You can set a reminder on any policy
    if it appears in this area.

3. Mileage information:
    You can add your mileage fill up information in this functionality. You get an option to add/modify/delete mileage information.
    You can pick any vehicle for which you are entering the details. The mileage information then can be retrieved for any vehicle. You
    can enter start km, end km, fuel price and fuel consumed while the form auto calculates the average and start km if you select an
    option "last end km".

4. Tracking:
    As of now you can only view the mileage pattern over a period of time using a graphical notation. In this graph you can
    see how the vehicle has behaved across the period of time. You can export this information to an Excel file if you want to. In future,
    you will have an option to select the graph type and graph axes as well.

5. Reminders:
    You can set a reminder on any due insurance/servicing. As of now you can only set reminder on an insurance. Once
    set, the system will send you auto emails if the net connection is available. The frequency is once a day which can be changed in later
    versions. Also SMS reminder and a calender entry into your gmail account will be available down the line.

This is a beta version (Named Veyron) and is NOT thoroughly tested due to time and bandwidth constraints. A basic logging system is put into the system so that whenever you get any unexpected behavior/crash, the same would be logged into a log file as well as into Windows event log. Please make sure to report this behavior to me so that I can resolve the issue and make the subsequent release stable and robust. You can send me a mail with subject "TrackVehicle - Defect found". Also mail me any functionality you would like to see in this or you can post on this thread. I hope, we can make this utility a better alternative for the boring excel stuff.

Cheers
    Abhijeet
    --
    "If at first you don't succeed, call it Version 1.0"
  10. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

WOW...tussi great ho!!!! :wow