1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tourism Thread

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Bala, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Guys,colleagues in my place have planned to have one Sunday trip every month and have entrusted me with the job.
    I had suggested Yelagiri hills, Kone falls, Thada falls and looking for sites within 200 kms from my place.
    First trip is to Yelagiri and since TFI has had two meets there,your inputs would be valuable,route to Yelagiri,distance from my place,hotels with buffet lunch and dinner,places to visit there, etc.
    Raviji,Teky,Ramesh,Abdul and others should have valuable experiences, kindly share.
    What is the route to kone and thada falls.
    What are the other options available apart from Yercaud and Pitchavaram.
    Your suggestions are eagerly expected.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You don't have much to do at Yelagiri. But, if it is a group tour and only for a day, that should be fine. Again, don't have much expectations at Yelagiri.

The route from Villupuram to Yelagiri will be really painful. The route has to be Villupuram-Thiruvannamalai-Chengam-Singarapettai-Tirupattur-Yelagiri. I haven't driven from Villupuram to Thiruvannamalai. But, I expect the road should be average to good. The real pain will start from Thiruvannamalai to Singarapettai where road widening is on and it is really painful. The road from Singarapettai to Tirupattur should be average and from then good roads to Yelagiri.

- - - Merged Post - - -

And within 200 kms radius, you have following places to consider.

- Yercaud
    - Kolli Hills
    - Hogenakkal (may be around 210 kms)
    - Tharangambadi (nothing much but there is a nice beach, Danish fort and a church)
    - Pitchavaram
    - Mahabalipuram
    - Kallanai
  3. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Thanks a lot Ramesh,your advice is very handy.
    People are taking a Tempo traveller I believe and not cars.
    I think it would take atleast 6 hours to reach Yelagiri.
    Nice tips about the road condition,thanks.
  4. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Tips needed guys
    I'll be having 4 hours transit time at Singapore airport
    My friend wants to shop outside airport (I have shopped 2 bags full from China:) )
    Are there any mall just outside Singapore airport at walking distance
    Are we allowed outside during transit
    thanks
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 20, 2014 ---
    Did my question,tip sought get posted guys?
    It was not displayed in the new posts page.
    On a ferry to Macau.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    ^^ I don't think you can go outside airport without transit visa.
  6. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    No u don't have any walkable distance mall near Singapore Airport. But inside airport you do have almost all the shops you need. Use the Singapore airport website for better guidance.

For shopping in Singapore Mustafa Markets and its surrounding shops are famous in case you are going outside. It's a little far from airport. You need to take the taxi.

For mobiles like Samsung there is a shop called Naranjan Near Mustafa market. That's famous for Samsung handset in good prices.
  7. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Thank you guys,
    is the transit visa free on arrival?
    Yup,there were a lot of shops inside the airport. Though I was told that the price would be the same as outside,I don't think it would be.
    Singapore Airlines gives us 40 dollars each at Singapore, I was told,so thought of spending that and somemore if need arises.
    Thanks guys.
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    I found Mustafa market to be crap, it's just like a bigger version of Big Bazaar, sort of. Though that Niranjan store near Mustafa that @pra.agar mentioned above seems to be good. A couple of guys who were with us bought mini iPads and some gadgets at very reasonable price.

Shopping at Singapore is costlier, anyways :)

No idea about transit visa on arrival.
  9. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    @Bala Ya the price in airport shops are little higher compared to outside. But in your case the amount u spent in taxi and purchasing outside will cover the difference. I would suggest shop inside if the layover is of two hours. And ya the airport is quite big so u will find lots of shop.

@Vahan agreed! Mustafa is just for ppl who don't know surrounding shops. For me I'd a friend there so he suggested Niranjan and we bought Mobile and iPad in cheaper price than US too ( without Singapore warranty). Even you get other things apart from mobiles in Niranjan.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    In 2010, when we were returning to India from Australia via Singapore, I saw an ad in the newspaper about an on-going electronic exhibition; immediately, I decided to shop there during my transit. I bought a Canon 550D camera at Suntec City Mall @ Singapore, at the electronic exhibition with discounts and lots of accessories thrown in generously. Before going out, I enquired the prices at the airport duty-free shops too. The price quoted at the airport shops was quite higher than the ones at Mustafa and the exhibition at Suntec City Mall. In fact, I was given a big suitcase-sized anti-fungal box as a freebie at the exhibition. When I told them that I cannot carry that big box as I was out during transit and had to catch a flight a few hours later, I was given a Seagate HDD in lieu of that! Plus, the camera was covered under India-secific warranty and I got the refund of GST processed at the airport! :)
    mchanna, ramjn and Ravi like this.