1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tour de Rajasthan, all roads lead to palace

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by theblack, Sep 22, 2013.

1. niranjan_81

Great travelogue. I am also planning to cover exactly same route. Do let us know the hotel details etc. The overall average looks less. Any particular reason you think?
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

I don't think it's less considering the speed and ac usage.
    I'm almost done with calculations and I had expected to spend about 4rs/km and I spent 3.9 so I feel it was fair

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Hotel Reviews

Navi Mumbai
    Hotel : Hotel Apex
    cost/night : 1698
    Remarks : This is a relatively small hotel at least looks small from the outside.
    Its ok to stay for 1 night , as a pit stop but dont plan to stay here if you want to spend more than 1 night.
    The hotel is run by courteous people but the area outside looks very shabby and we didn't know that when we booked it.
    There is no problem of noise and the hotel guys are good folks but somehow given a choice i would not stay in such a place.
    Room quality : Rooms are small just enough for one night but i felt it could have been better for the rent they charged and the washroom was clean and adequate.
    Parking : Road parking only (even though they mention that there is parking at max 2 cars can be parked inside so dont trust their vote on parking)
    Mapped on MMI : Yes
    My rating: 3/5
    Recommended by me : NO

Hotel : Padmini Palace
    cost/night : 1150
    Remarks : located conveniently on Gulab Bagh road, this hotel is close to all the major udaipur attractions and we were satisfied with pretty much everything on offer.
    The approach is pretty evident and traffic free roads help in finding this location out.
    The hotel crew are courteous and very humble and will heed to your problems if any and resolve it. We had issue with washroom and it was solved in no time.
    The cook really tasty food , and their paratas are just the best we've had in this whole trip.
    Room quality : Rooms are adequate for 2 with relatively big washroom and 24hrs Hot water.
    Parking : They have parking in front of the hotel but its not covered, however there is no problem as they have round the clock security no one will even touch your car. Parking space for about 8 cars is available.
    Mapped on MMI : Yes
    My rating : 3.8/5
    Recommended by me : YES

Hotel : Jagat vilas
    cost/night : 1800
    Remarks : The best hotel/homestay we stayed with really really humble and homely people. I cannot stress how much the hosts went out of their way to make us feel at home.
    For the 2 nights we stayed there , we almost felt like it was our home only. We were given home food , offered free beer, offered free lemoade and i sat out for nearly 2-3 hrs simply chit chatting with the hosts about our trip till now and here after . The best part is that you also have their relatives coming almost always and they are equally inclined to talk with us. Honestly we really liked this place and highly recommend this to any traveller.
    Room quality : Big rooms with big toilets, and hot water is not a luxury here, cold water is :) its always hot that even at 10PM in the night you can get boiling water!!
    Parking : secure parking for at least 5 cars inside their homestay . Ideally this should suffice as they have about 5-7 rooms only. If i'm right.
    (They were adding more rooms when we went so may be it might increase)
    Mapped on MMI : NO , you can search for Lalji Handicrafts and its a stone throw distance from there.
    Rating : 5/5 (Not only did we have everything to our satisfaction , the added bonus of very humble hosts . I had to give them full marks)
    Recommended by Me : A definite YES
    Further note : This hotel has won the trip advisor hotel of the year ,2012-13

Jaisalmer (SAM)
    Hotel : Imperial golden desert camp, Sam
    cost/ night : 6137
    Remarks : The worst experience . We booked this desert camp to spend 1 night in the sand dunes via travelguru and the reviews on travelguru were good so we went ahead and booked it.
    Once we reached Sam and call up the number we were told to navigate to another desert camp called "payal desert camp" and he said that's what they have.
    We didn't know where we had booked :). But since i was with family i didn't want any nonsense and decided to stay for the night.
    There was not a single soul at the time we went there and the entire area was just us and a few care takers.
    Though the staff were kind and we didn't have any problems . I just never felt safe, never did the whole day.
    In the night we were entertained for a folk dance and the audience we saw put us off even more. None looked polished and all the decent looking folks had come there only for that event .
    The swiss tents added to our misery as they dont generally have any proper locks per se. We ended up getting up every 2 hrs . Well it was just a sad state of affairs.
    Anyway we had some sleep and woke up by 7:30. I was just too sad and decided to leave then itself and have breakfast at jaisalmer hotel itself.
    Room quality : Just sufficient for 2 but not worth the money one bit and all the tents there have the same fate.
    Rating : 1/5
    Recommended by me : Definite NO
    Final notes : Its actually a waste of money to stay in any of the locations at SAM. one can always stay in jaisalmer city and drive to SAM and back . It will hardly take you 45mins to drive to this spot, spend all the time you want at SAM and get back .one will save tons of money that way.

Jaisalmer city
    Hotel Name : Hotel Haveli
    cost/night : 1017
    Remarks : A good hotel with spacious room and washrooms . Hot water is not a problem and really kind folks as well. Food was good and we didn't have any problems.
    Very helpful crew. Location is not a problem as the city either way is just about 3-4kms so you dont need to worry about traffic at all!!
    Parking : outside the hotel but no problem as they are watched out by the hotel security. Parking easily for 10-12 cars
    Rating : 4/5
    Recommended by me : YES
    Final notes : Rated as one of the best by trip advisor 2012-13

Hotel Name : Woodlands
    cost/night : 1600
    Remarks : very famous group of hotels so nothing much to say . Everything was good and we have not qalms
    3 people like this.
  4. SOOZ_P

SOOZ_P Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    WOW Sham. Thanks for sharing the detailed experience. Me and better half planning since a long time to have this trip. your thread inspired me to do it soon.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  5. bins

bins Amatore

Super pics. Especially the flicker ones.
  6. Morale of the story, don't trust travelguru blindly.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Toll charges

Fuel cost
    fuel cost.png

Total Expenditure
    Screenshot from 2013-10-03 19:23:27.png

With this our longest trip till date and its travelogue comes to an end. Thank you all for spending time on this thread .
    I hope to write many more such logs.
    Thank you all once agian
    5 people like this.
  8. Prash1407

Prash1407 Amatore

Too good!!! I liked the way you wrote the whole thing..... And the photos!!! breathtaking!!!
  9. bins

bins Amatore

49.38 ltrs at the first fill? whats the tank capacity? isn't it 45ltrs?

And you got only an FE of 14kms(or less) till the second fill?
    There are a lot of petrol pump stories floating around.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

I think its 45 only. But i knew i had made 2 or 3 errors while entering the fuel logs . I thought i will correct them when i reached a proper destination but i always forgot to correct it.
    So instead i just let it be and continued by entering when i refilled so that it will give others an idea.

Mileage on each refill ,l never calculated as it was just too much amongst other things i already had. What you see in my posts are 95-98% accurate .
    Yes the overall mileage i got was about 14.4kmpl . I didn't do any conservative driving in this trip. whenever i saw open roads I went full in.