1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tour de Rajasthan, all roads lead to palace

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by theblack, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Dear Sham, the pics are brilliant, i recalled my trip to these places whilst i was residing in Jaipur. Your caution of driving carefully is valid, i encountered this on Ahmedabad to Baroda expressway too, at some point villagers cross the express way without thinking much of the consequences, i gave my mindful and mouthful to the toll collector... But none seem to be bothered. Castles and jugaads are very common on the highways and extra large (broad) trailers behind the tractors are very common annoyances.
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

it's the people's mentality that should change and only then will the rules apply or else they are just some sentences written to waste paper.

Unfortunately that's how it is here and will be so for a long time to come

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Jodhpur to Jaisalmer (Sam sand dunes)

with our final destination in sight the bangalore based IT couple were extremely happy to have done nearly 90% of the journey (one way, at least).
    I dont know how but all that heat just vanished in a moment and we were just dancing in joy at our jodhpur homestay knowing that we were soon going to reach the last of our destinations.

Anyway so we had an extremely heavy dinner the previous night and hit the sack and woke up leisurely at 8:30AM. we started to take this journey almost too easy because i had prior reports that the roads are amazing and it would not take more time.
    We breakfasted at our Jodhpur homestay, bid the extremely humble hosts a nice good bye and hit the road by 10:30AM.

Trip stats
    j1.jpg j2.jpg j3.jpg j4.jpg

Almost all through the way we saw Army presence and the roads were just too good and we maintained a really good speed. At times the MID was showing an Avg speed of 83kmph :-D but due to many stoppages for photo sessions it finally came down.

This is how to the roads were ,now who wouldn't be impressed

I was so happy about reaching Sam that i was Firing away with all the might and that's when i saw

So since both of us were Firing i overshot ;-) this and had to make a U-turn to get a snap :cool: .
    So as the miles tumbled we finally saw ,

After a joyous drive we reached Sam Sand dunes and to the dune stay that we had booked .
    We safely reached by 3:30PM or so.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
    3 people like this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Sam Sand dunes (Jaisalmer Day 1)

We had already booked for the night at Sam in one of the Swiss tents..
    Again as usual we were dripping and huffing and puffing we managed to get into one of the thatched huts with a decent fan/cooler (we decided to switch to the swiss tents later in the night as the small fan kept there was not helping us cool down).

After a full 30 mins under the cooler and after a nice shower we were rejuvenated and had a cup of masala chaai.
    Agenda for the evening was
    1.) Camel ride and sunset
    2.) Rajastani folk dance at our stay
    3.) stay in the swiss tent.

Camel ride and sunset

jai1.jpg jai2.jpg jai3.jpg jai4.jpg

I didn't take photos of the folk dance as it was not appealing to us. So we just watched it and dined and later hit the sack.
    After another round of satisfying trip to sam we retired in our swiss tent with the view to reach Jaisalmer city the next day.

- - - Merged Post - - -

We woke up early by 7:30AM and sitting on the wooden recliner outside our tent we sipped our masala chaai, perhaps the most Westerly chaai we had in independent india!!.

We packed and settled the bill to leave for Jaisalmer city by 8:30AM.
    Enroute stopped for another final set of Sam photos.
    I stopped the car in the middle of the road ,wheels turned my wife clicked one last picture.

We reached our Jaisalmer hotel (about 45kms from Sam) by 9:20AM and rested for a while . We had prior knowledge that Jaisalmer is a very small city (roughly 3kms either way) and covering the whole city would take just 1 evening so we leisurely had nice breakfast comprising of aloo parathas ,dahi and lassi (we dont even remember how many lassis we've had in this trip).
    And left for sight seeing by 11AM.

First stop, Jaisalmer fort and inside.
    Architecture of jain temples within the fort and patawon ki haveli pics.
    jfort1.jpg jfort2.jpg jfort3.jpg paton1.jpg

So finally the trip comes to an end and with a smile we retired for the night knowing that in 2 days time we will be back to home sweet home.
    What a wonderful trip it has been and next time its going to be even bigger!!
    13 people like this.
  5. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

Lovely trav logg..this haveli was sold by patans for only 90000

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

The Return Journey

Leg 1
    Jaisalmer - Vapi
    We woke up by 5:00AM after a good night's sleep and hit the road by 5:45AM . My idea initially was to reach pune no matter what time it took because we knew that if we didn't do it then the next day would be a really horrible one as we would have to encounter mumbai/pune city traffic.
    With that view in mind and beautiful open roads in sight i hit the A pedal and held it at 140kmph (minium) and soon we saw our last board in Rajastan.
    What a journey it had been we thought but the journey still was on.
    We skipped lunch as we had a heavy breakfast.
    Our breakfast comprised of home made uppitu (upma). How one might wonder? well this is how

As usual the ghorbundar highway, western expressway and until Baruch we had nice truck traffic entertain us. But by now i had become a pro at zig zagging between lanes and managed to keep a healthy pace.
    Somewhere on the way my wife started to have a headache (quite literally) and she didn't want to sit till pune. So after approaching Gujrat we decided to halt in Vapi at least so that it would be the best compromise.

The day before I had called up nkrishna to ask about the road conditions and he had suggested to stay over in Vapi at least and it seemed like that was happening.
    So the moment we decided to halt in Vapi , I remembered the hotel he had suggested (woodlands).
    After a brief drive in the night we safely reached Vapi quite early by 8:20PM , I knew we had a lot of driving left for the next day so i tried talking sense to my wife and at least leave vapi by 5:00AM , she said OK and we slept after a light dinner.

f1.jpg f2.jpg f3.jpg f4.jpg
    As suggested my wife woke up at 7AM :-D, i couldn't say much we just packed and left the hotel. I had a bad feeling that we would get stuck every where and as expected we hit the bombay city traffic at 9:20AM, oh great i thought and gingerly navigated through potholes , bunkers and mud roads .
    I think we reached pune by about 11:40AM and again hit the pune city traffic . This time i didn't speak a word and just smiled all the way out of traffic.
    Having seen our situation now we our initial plan of having lunch in kollapur was cancelled and we decided to break for lunch at the next available hotel.

At about 12:30 , somewhere on the pune-blr we saw a really nice hotel and straight away parked the car and settled down for lunch.
    I had decided to reach blr come what may and we discussed a lot about driving in the night (both of us hate highways during night) , But an exception had to be made and we decided to go ahead, My ETA to reach Blr was 1AM.

The miles kept tumbling and our home started to come ever so closer and finally at 12:15AM , We safely reached Home sweet home.
    Exhausted by the longest conteneous drive but still quite happy to have covered such a distance in 10 days we both smiled at each other and hit the sack for a really long and deep sleep.
    Just to keep the routine (we never slept without AC in the whole trip) we decided to turn the AC on as well (on a cold , rainy night in blr) and sleep :)

Final stats
    f5.jpg f6.jpg f7.jpg f8.jpg

"Thank you all for taking time to read my log."

Next up, logistics, hotel review, road conditions,toll / fuel costs.
    Stay tuned, it ain't over yet!! ;)
    5 people like this.
  7. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Thats one heck of trip Sham. Great pictures. The new full frame DSLR and the man behind the lens has brought out high quality pictures. Was waiting for you to complete the log.

Thanks for sharing :)
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Thanks a lot

9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Excellent travelogue Shams. Cheers!.

And thanks for posting the mid stats,what a relief! I always wondered if i am the only one who gets lower mileage on a highway run when compared to the city. People posting mileage figured > 20 made me wonder if soemthing was wrong. :eek:

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

If I wanted to do a mileage drive then I would need 1 month for the trip and one thing to note is that I was almost always doing beyond 120 with 100% ac. Sometimes I had turned it on for 30 mins at idle when we went for highway lunch. So considering that I think I have a good avg