1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tour de Rajasthan, all roads lead to palace

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by theblack, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Divi

Wonderful trip ,and awesome photography..:cool:
  2. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

@Sham,Beautiful & Lovely pics:wowAwesome trip.:p
  3. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

Super pictures and nice travel log

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

14th Sept, evening

We reached our udaipur hotel by 2PM and wanted to go to the palace directly but lack of sleep and lack of food was making us really tired so we decided to sleep till 3:30 and go.
    We ordered rajasthani thali to our room ate and slept by 2:30 and promptly woke up at 3:30 .
    Ordered a cup of coffee and finished it to leave at 4:00PM.

Fired up MIMI again and this time to the udaipur palace and there was something different i did.
    I took a turn towards a narrow lane and fired up MIMI (which i would find out later to be a big mistake), my beloved MIMI calculated the route from that direction and asked me to drive on.
    Happy that MIMI was helping us i rolled down the windows and stepped on the A pedal and within 5 mins MIMI took us through the narrowest lanes i had ever seen in my life.
    It was so narrow that my car could barely fit between the array of shops in between and i thought NOT again god. But even if we had to there was no way i could turn back ;-)
    So just hoped that no one kisses me and made true. After a heart wrenching 20min drive across the narrow roads with ample stops and a few reverses to let the traffic flow we finally reached here
    uplace1.jpg uplace.jpg

what a beautiful palace this is . One must really this the vastness and the architecture to truly believe the quality of workmenship.
    I was really mesmorized by the stone carvings .
    One particular decor that struck me was the dome carvings at the entrance and this dome is a good 50Ft from the floor level . I just couldnt fathom how in those days they managed to get up there and carve out beautiful designs.. Too good:up

After having spent a good 2 hours there as well. We finally bid good bye to Udaipur and its beauty and retired to our hotel for a well deserved sleep by 8PM.

The fun starts now, Next stop Jodhpur
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

I think, it is called City Palace by the local populace. Yes, it is located in a heart of the town, the access to which is through narrow lanes and bylanes. My Linea too drove on those narrow lanes!
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Lovely pictures sham.
    You covered Rajasthan well.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Actually there is a much better route which i found out on the way back.
    It goes via the famous Bapu bazar and that road is pretty good. After i reached the hotel i realized that i had turned my car in the wrong direction when i asked for routes from MIMI.
    That's when i realized MIMI is more sensitive than my wife!! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
    3 people like this.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Udaipur to Jodhpur

t1.jpg t2.jpg t3.jpg t4.jpg

So the trip resumed from Udaipur and our first stop based on heavy demand from in laws and parents was to visit the Ekling ji (30kms from udaipur), srinath ji (nathdwara) then on to jodhpur. this turned out to be one heck of a drive.

Here is the route we took

We started our trip by 7AM hoping to cover the 300 odd kms in about 5 hours max and based on that we knew for a fact that even with all these pitstops we would be in jodhpur by lunch time.
    Hoping so our first stop was Ekling ji temple. So checked out of udaipur by 7AM and decided to have breakfast on the way and reached the Ekling ji temple by about 8:30AM.
    Once we reach there we find out that this temple does not even open till 11AM. This was not going to work for us so we decided to give it a pass and continue the drive towards nathdwara.

Here the trouble starts, my beloved MIMI showed us the route from ekling ji temple to nathdwara via NH-8 and having knowing that its a NH we were really happy to go there but this road is totally amidst the mountains and soon after we started we hit the ghat section and its just a 2 lane route. The progress was terribly slow but the route was with amazing roads so we didn't lament much and we reached nathdwara by 12:30PM .
    It was 43C and will full of sweat we began our 1/4mile hike to the temple , huffing and puffing and amidst insane crowd (in off season) we reach the temple only to find out that the darshan closed just 10mins before our arrival.
    hmm what can i say , we followed our track back, turned the AC to full and drove off in sadness.
    Looks like the gods were not done with us yet, for i dont know what i did but we ended up driving from Nathdwara to Jodhpur via RJ, SH -49 , where for a while MIMI was up and alive after which even she gave up.
    All we could see were proper Rajasthani villages, there was nothing but females carrying water on their heads , males sitting idle and discussing about god knows what, beautiful green pastures and corn all around.
    As far as i counted we crossed nearly 9 rajastani villages and ended up driving in ghats at an inclination of nearly 55 degress .
    All my josh of driving in leh were coming true. Just that instead of snow and cold temperatures we witnessed trees, sand and heat ;-)

So finally we managed to reach jodhpur after a terrible 8 hours or so.. We were just exhausted but the drive was something i never thought i would do.
    Beautiful village scenery and after a bit of rest in jodhpur i was really cherising the drive on these roads.

Note : take this road if you have ample time or else dont.

1 person likes this.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Jodhpur and around

We checked into hotel "jagat vilas" one of the best homestays that i've spent nights in (hotel reviews at the last).
    After spending a good 2 hrs simply chit chatting with the owners we were sort of rejuvinated and decided to go to the market for some shopping by 8PM.

Had a cup of nice homemade coffee and then visited the market but unlike what we know most of the shops were already closing and the temp was still hovering at 36C @9PM.
    We couldn't take it anymore so simply came back and bunked for the night.

Jodhpur, Day 1
    We woke up by 9AM , breakfasted and then visited Mehranghar fort by 10AM

Just around the corner of this fort is the "Jaswant thada", a burial for all the fallen Rajput kings from 13th century till date. The architecture of this place was also wonderful and we almost forgot the heat altogether.

So as usual after all the hike up to the fort and a after rounds and rounds of photographs my wife started to reach here boiling point with me and my camera, so save both of us, I decided to get back to the homestay and wind up and go to the Jodhpur palace later in the evening .
    We came back had lunch and had a nice sleep till 5PM, woke up and had coffee as usual and went to Umaid Bhavan palace .

Here is what we saw!
    This was a really beautiful palace where the current Raja of Jodhpur lives and the left portion is the kings official residence , the center portion is a public museum where we are allowed and the right portion is made a hotel.

This is the shortest we stayed in any palace in the whole trip. just about 1.5 hrs (that's because i wanted to take photos). Ideally one would not spend more than 15-20mins as there is really nothing to see.
    So we were out of the palace by 6:30PM and my wife wanted to shop again for some amarapalli jewels , we went to a showroom and while i reviewed photos sitting on the couch my wife picked up a few things and were came out by 7:40.

Our homestay owner had told us that there is a hotel (forgot the name) beside the Balsamand lake where one can have a roof top dinner with a really beautiful view of the Mehranghar fort and we couldn't miss it for anything. So i Parked my car at that amarapalli showroom itself and took an auto to this place.
    This is what we saw

Fully satisfied with the view (if not with the dinner menu) we retired to our homestay by 10PM .
    next day, it would be another 300 odd kms to our Final destination , Jaisalmer!!
    8 people like this.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Jaisalmer happyanim.gif

All the very best my friend. Post lots of pics of Jaisalmer and around. Also, of the drive from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer.

1 person likes this.