1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Touch Display from Linea Elegant installed in Abarth Punto

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Dharmendra, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Dharmendra

Dharmendra Timido

Chennai
    Punto Abarth
    While buying the Abarth Punto in Feb 2016, I requested to install the touch screen from Linea Elegant to replace the stock ICE. It was done for an additional ~45K. The user manual was a piece or crap.

Few things that they did not mention before hand were:
    (1) The USB port next to the gear shift is now a dummy. A new USB inside the glove box is now provided along with iPod cable. I'd prefer the outside USB port to atleast charge the phones. But nope.
    (2) Voice command button on the steering wheel is now a dummy. No Voice command option at all.
    (3) The talk button on the steering wheel is now a dummy. I have to use the touch screen to pick or hang a call.
    (4) The radio goes into search mode on its own, unpredictably.
    (5) Camera was erratic in its input. Got it fixed in the showroom. Some loose contacts, apparently.
    (6) Can't watch movie while the car is running. I'd prefer the other way. (atleast my kid prefers it :-D)
    (7) Remote control doesn't work :-( Need to take it to showroom again.

Have anyone else tried this mod? If so, two questions to pick your minds:
    (1) The showroom technician tried to convince me that the Voice Command and Call buttons on the steering wheel can't be connected to the system. Is it true?
    (2) Is it possible to fix the outside USB port to charge the phones?
    varoon9999 and tarunactivity like this.
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Well I guess you are encountering this problem because the Abarth is powered by Uconnect while other Fiats are powered by Blue & Me (including Linea Elegante).
    Dharmendra and gpunto75 like this.
  3. gpunto75

gpunto75 Amatore

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    While you sort out the things with FASS, let me congratulate you for your marvelous machine. Please post the pics after the fix.
  4. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Congratulations for the mighty Abarth @Dharmendra !
    The 4th point which you pointed as niggle is actually a feature. As soon as radio detects lower signals, it starts searching for better frequency. This setting can be changed. Dig it a bit.

Happy Riding!
    Dharmendra likes this.
  5. ssateesh

ssateesh Novizio

Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    +1. I would have expected FIAT folks to have advised you prior on this. But we know about FIAT service
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  6. Dharmendra

Dharmendra Timido

Chennai
    Punto Abarth
    Hmm... I'll explore that. But it mostly happens within the city when the signal was good. At first I thought it happens because of some loose contact and when I hit a pothole or something like that. But couldn't find a pattern. Every time it goes on search mode I just use the controls on Steering to seek up and the down, and I get the same Radio Channel with proper signals.
    So, though your logic is sound, I'm bit skeptic on it being true. Nevertheless, I'll check on the settings for that feature.
    Thanks.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 4, 2016 ---
    True. I asked them to list all the differences and the features that I will lose. They said all features are intact and that they already tried it on Sportive with no issues. :)

However, they were quite responsive and eager to fix the lose contact of the camera. It is a matter or training and know-how that they lack. They were sincere.
  7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    The FASS might not even have known that the Abarth comes with Uconnect which is different from Blue & Me. I feel there is a disconnect from Fiat's side as well. They should have made the difference clear. Nevertheless, its good to see that they are eager to help.
  8. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Pre-facelift Linea has this as a feature, I am hoping it will be same in Abarth as well :)
  9. tarunactivity

tarunactivity Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Do attach snaps as well!

For starters, what did you do with the old head unit? Can you share pics of the back, sides, connectors ?

Also, did they offer a discount/exchange for the old head unit?

What is the sportive?
  10. Dharmendra

Dharmendra Timido

Chennai
    Punto Abarth