1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Top 10 Reasons for Car Accidents !! (USA Accident's Report )

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by amargawade90, Sep 30, 2012.

1. amargawade90

amargawade90 Superiore

While many of you might not be aware that deaths resulting from car accidents far exceed the numbers for plane crashes, but due to greater media coverage, air travel is perceived more dangerous. In 2009, the total number of deaths resulting from car accidents in the United States was 33,808. Today, we number the top ten reasons for car accidents.

[h=1]No 10. Product defects :[/h]

No product is ever made perfectly, and cars are definitely no different. Automobiles have hundreds of parts working in tandem and if any of those are defective, they can cause a serious car accident. Many automobile companies have had problems with design of their cars in the past; it’s nothing unique or rare, including Ford Explorer rollover accidents and Toyota’s unintended acceleration crashes.
    [h=1]No 9. Teenage drivers :[/h]

Who isn’t annoyed by the reckless teenage drivers? When teen drivers hit the roads they don’t always know what to do and that lack of experience leads to terrible car accidents. According to ibid, teenagers although make up only 10% of the U.S. population, they suffer 14% of all vehicular fatalities and 20% of all reported crashes.

[h=1]No 8. Rain :[/h]

As romantic it may be, rain is not good for driving. In 2007, over 1600 car accidents occurred during bad weather conditions which apart from rain included snow, or sleet conditions and was the cause of 18,000 deaths. To avoid a car accident in rain, drive extra careful and try to stay as far away from the road as possible if you are a pedestrian.

[h=1]No 7. Night driving :[/h]

Taking on the road at night almost doubles your chances of experiencing a car accident. When you can’t see what’s up ahead you really aren’t ready for anything that comes out of the dark. Despite less than half the traffic of day time, more than 40 percent of all fatal car accidents occur at night.

[h=1]No 6. Ignoring stop signs :[/h]

Running a stop sign significantly increases chances of being involved in a car accident. In USA, there were over 13,000 cars involved in fatal accidents caused by running a stop sign in 1999 and 2000. Just assuming that no one is coming as you approach an intersection is not a really good idea.

[h=1]No 5. Running red lights :[/h]

The most clear of signs is the red traffic light and when you don’t give any heed to it, more often than not you end up being a statistic. Drivers that run red lights are the cause of almost 1,000 wrongful deaths in the US. To avoid a car accident, you should look both ways for oncoming cars as you approach a green light.

[h=1]No 4. Reckless driving :[/h]

Ignoring rules of the road does not bode well for you and it puts you and others in way of harm. Driving too fast i.e. not obeying the speed limit, changing lanes too quickly or tailgating increase your risk of being involved in a dangerous accident. Pedestrians should keep an eye out for such drivers.

[h=1]No 3. Drunk driving :[/h]

Drinking impairs your senses, no doubt about that and then driving drunk is something you should avoid at all cost. The reason why drunk driving is in the top 3 is 13,000 wrongful deaths caused by drunk drivers in 2007.

[h=1]No 2. Speeding :[/h] 212-550x366.jpg

According to NHTSA, damages caused by speeding related accidents is in the vicinity of $28 billion per year, not to mention the it to be the cause of 31 percent of all fatal car crashes. The seriousness of the statement “Speed thrills, but kills” couldn’t be overstated.

[h=1]No 1. Distracted driving :[/h]

You probably didn’t guess this one, as University of Utah estimates that drivers who use hand-held or even hands-free devices have their reactions delayed as much as having a blood alcohol concentration at the legal limit of .08 percent. So, eating, texting or even talking on your Bluetooth is far more likely to get you into accidents than normal fully attentive driving. Looking at an object or event outside of your vehicle or reaching for a moving object inside the vehicle or even talking to the passengers is a distraction that can lead to fatalities. Distracted driving was the cause of 448,000 injuries in 2009.

Source : Top 10 Reasons for Car Accidents | RealityPod | Top 10, Gadgets, Technology & Robotics Hub

10 people like this.
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Fantastic thread buddy. I have made it a 'sticky'. Though the thread is based on a US transportation board study it is very relevant to India. In fact, points 6 to 1 are the top accident causing reasons in India - not surprising we have the maximum road accidents in the world.
    baz_303 and amargawade90 like this.
  3. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    One more reason I would like to add is FATIGUE. Drivers tend to drive long hours without any rest and tend to doze off while driving... :(
  4. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In indian road conditions i d like to add a few more points.

0. Absence of road sense and lane discipline, zig zag driving ...

-1. There are no autorickshaws in other countries, they are one of the biggest menace in our country..(yday i had a near miss with an auto , will post a compilation of my DVR clips reg mad auto idiot drivers after getting hold of a card reader as mine conked off )

-2. the fuel saving mentality of the Indians who dare to take any extreme steps to save a couple of of drops of fuel, even driving in the fast lane in a 6 lane highway to avoid a u turn a couple of kms away !! Lack of strict punishments and tougher laws are to blame.
    1 person likes this.
  5. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

In my opinion distracted driving plays a major role here.
    in a city like mumbai there are thousands of distractions on the road for ex. huge advertisement hoardings, advertisements on buses, cabs etc.
  6. sungoa2010

One more important problem for accidents in India is neglecting maintenance ignoring tire specifications for fuel efficiency. One of my neighbour haven't serviced his car for past two years thinking that it is Maruti so it will go.
    3 people like this.
  7. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Most of them are accounted for multitasking
  8. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Amar for this thread. See in USA with so strict road rule how many accidents happen. But in India Most of us are following only one rule, that is no rule.

Awareness is one of the most powerful weapon to overcome these accidents.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    SHASHANKREDDY and amargawade90 like this.
  9. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    These are the points when driver is on the blame...

But, when the driver is following the rules and the others are not following the simple rules of road crossing then also accidents happened.......

I am seeing lots of people crossing the roads during the green signal for the cars..... what one can do???? has to stop & get it hit by the vehicle behind... Bang.........
    1 person likes this.
  10. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Another nuisance here in Assam is people letting their cattle loose on the highway. There are far too many cows and goats on the roads to drive safely. I almost killed a calf yesterday, who suddenly appeared right in front of my car.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012