1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

To sell or not to sell?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by asthana, Apr 28, 2013.

1. asthana

Here's my dilemma -
    1. I'm in love with my May 2011 Linea Emotion Pk Azue (1.4 Petrol) purchased in October 2011.
    2. Its a MH-12 registration (Pune).
    3. Challenge is that I'll be relocating to a different state (Delhi) this May on a long-term basis.
    4. Preliminary research (RTO agent, bank rep. etc.) has indicated that state-to-state registration transfer will be a royal pain/hassle/high cost etc.

Should I go through (4) above or sell it here itself and buy another FIAT once I've settled in Delhi?

If selling would make more sense, how should I price it? The vehicle is an awesome exterior and interior condition (read 'looks and feels new'). I know of a few sites (carwale, gaadi etc.) that have price calculators but not sure whether these are "actually" reliable or not (for both the seller and the buyer).

Pointers/guidance would be super!
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

I went thru point 4 when i came from Rajasthan to Karnataka.

My car was on hypothecation, hence had to obtain noc for transfer, then i got hold of an agent in rto and paid some2.5k + govt charges to issue NoC for transfer to KA.

again used an agent in KA and got the road tax paid + smart card issued, number change pending will take 3.5k plus regn charges.

roat tax differs from state to stake and KA has the highest road tax in the country as far i am aware, hence paid 97k there...

In my opinion, calculate the selling versus transfer and compare the financials, usually selling the car in native state would make sense to avoid hassles of bribing to get things done. People will be waiting to fleece monies at each step.

best of luck.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  3. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Honestly in Delhi, you dont need to do anything at all.

One of my good friend is from Mumbai as his Honda City is a MH registration as well. We travel together very often and he has neevr faced any issues in Delhi regarding the MH registration.

Diffrent state registration is not much of a Issue in delhi honestly.

Even in thw Worst case scenario, if theres ever a problem (which wont be the case ), a miniature amount paid would easily be better than the lacs you will loose out in selling the old car and buying a new car.
    2 people like this.
  4. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    I use my cousin PB number car often and never got into any trouble. In my locality you will find WB, KA, MH number cars, and people use them everyday, i have not heard any negative experience about the registered state of the vehicle.

I agree with ansal, if you don't want to take any chances, get it registered in Delhi rather than selling and buying new one, financially it won't make sense.
  5. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

I did not suggest getting the car registered in Delhi. What I meant was that even if Cops stop you coz of the Registration, a miniature amount paid to them would be better than spending much higher amount elsewhere. But honestly, it is not a Problem in Delhi having a different registration.

I would suggest to do nothing as it is not required in Delhi.

I know this is a problem in Mumbai and southern states but no issues at all in Delhi.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Delhi police are very "Liberal" , if you know what i mean looking at the current status of that place.

Jokes apart, It is not really a pain to get your car transferred . if you cannot move around for it to the RTO get hold of any Driving school guys and they can get it done at a nomimal fee.

I would suggest you get the transfer because that's one of the worst places to move around with a different registration.
    if your luck is bad then you will encounter things that you could rather live without.
  7. A private car can be driven anywhere in India and for a period of 6 months if the vehicle is transferred from one state to the other, after 6 months you will be liable to pay the road tax of the state and get the car registered, you can claim back the registration amount (balance) from the original state where the car was initially registered though the process is a bit cumbersome. Keeping the car is a good move rather than selling it to save on the depreciation hit. Hope it helps
  8. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    RTO in Delhi is one of the most organized anywhere in India. In fact it is of a world class standard. They have a proper setup for each and everything and each RTO is run very professionally - the tout system has completely disappeared. No need to go to driving school etc. - you can easily do it yourself. Just go to their website and read up all the rules and method to change registration. I know it is very surprising for govt office, but that is what I have seen a number of times in the last 2-3 years.

Other than that there are vehicles of various states running in Delhi without any problem at all. Delhi itself as NCR consists of UP, Haryana and Delhi registrations. Lot of VIPs from different states travel in cars with number belonging to their home state - cops never question anything. As far as I think there should be no problem at all if you drive with a MH number. When the time comes to sell it just send it back to Pune and sell it, maybe through help of some friend or relative in Pune.

I used to be in MH, drove a MH-20 number vehicle in Delhi for many years without anyone ever looking at it and have sold it by sending it back to its home state to someone in Thane.
    2 people like this.
  9. khoj

khoj Amatore

What you should be deciding is which route to take on your drive to Dilli.

There are three cars in my household & not one of them is registered in Dilli. Infact the oldest of these was bought from your neighbourhood of Wakad, registered elsewhere in MH and is being driven in Dilli since 2010.

10. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Buddy i am a real life example for you.... i drove my AP registered Punto in Delhi-NCR region for an year and was never stopped for the AP registration. I was stopped quite a few times for drink driving checks, polluion checks but never paid anything for AP registration.

At times the cops asked me "itni door se gaadi aap yaha lekar aye" to which i replied "sirjee naukri hai kya kare.. jaha mann karta hai company bhej deti hai. Sab paise ka khel hai"... never paid a penny for other state regiatration.

Enjoy the MH linea in delhi :-D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    3 people like this.