1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

To sell or not that is the question.

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by meples, Aug 24, 2016.

1. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hello friends,

I drive a Grande Punto 1.2 Dynamic (bought in Oct 2013) and I'm quite happy with the car. I live in Bangalore and soon (which is mid next month) I'll will be shifting to Gurgaon. Now my question is, will it be a good idea to take my car along to Delhi/NCR? Also, should I get an NOC (plus do the registration formalities etc)? Is it necessary?

OR, should I sell my car in Bangalore and buy a new one in Delhi/NCR? If so, would it be a good idea to buy a Fiat in Delhi or Gurgaon? Any idea how FASS is in Delhi?

The car's clocked just 18332 kms and it's fully stock, except for upgraded 185 section tyres. Experience-wise, it's been almost niggle free and to talk about mileage, I have been getting a decent 11-12 in Bangalore traffic. Now this leads to me to my next question...

In Bangalore, while it's still possible to drive without AC, it is out of question to drive without AC in Delhi (be it winters or summers). I know the 1.2 will fare poorly in both areas (performance and mileage) if I were to use the AC all the time. And since I plan to drive around a bit, will it be a practical idea to take my car along?

On top of all this confusion, I have actually less than one month to decide what to do next. Need your help!!!
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Is it a long term plan to shift to NCR? If it is then:

I feel that its better to sell your car in Bangalore and buy a new car in Delhi as

1) The ex-showroom price of cars in Bangalore is a lot more, so you can demand a better price. Also its a less driven car so you can get a good deal.

2) It will save you from getting a NOC (which is a must), paying road taxes and RTO visits which is really painful.

3) As you said, the climate in Delhi-NCR wont be as nice throughout the year with extreme weather conditions. So at least the FE would go for a toss.

Else:

Drive down to Delhi and handle the cops by saying that you have come for a couple of months on a office job.
    meples and PradeepM like this.
  3. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    It is better to keep the present, niggle-free, tested one with you instead of buying a new one at NCR. It has run very little and you have the emotional attachment too. I don't know about the present day hassles of RTO work for taking your car to NCR and there is some thread on this here, I think. Though in 1993 I transferred my FIAT (Padmini) and LML NV successfully from Mumbai to Indore and reregistered both.

On the option of changing the brand for better fuel efficiency, only persons with relevant experience can comment best. In my view though, PUNTO would give comparable FE anywhere with sedate driving. FASS may be an issue that NCR members can comment upon.

Reg dropping it altogether, I think, this can be considered as Delhi NCR is has METRO criss-cross covering all areas and you have all cab & riksha services there.
    meples likes this.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @meples

@puntophile would be best placed to advise?

As for fuel efficiency: depending on where and when you drive you're likely to get as much or likely better fuel efficiency in delhi-gurgaon. The traffic often (though increasingly less so) flows better than bangalore or Mumbai, and on non-peak hours the driving can be altogether steady if not brisk sometimes, esp in Gurgaon. The AC query is justified, but Delhi does have (albeit much reduced thanks precisely to cars/suv-s etc) 'cold winter' months!

Gurgaon has a pretty good FASS: drs motors. So does Faridabad. Delhi has the busy but mostly-decent Kashyap. AND: there will almost certainly be 1 if not 2 new JEEP-Fiat combined dealerships+ass centres too, in delhi ncr, at some pretty-soon point.

I'd sell the 1.2, though, and get a new (diesel) Punto/Avventura instead. Far simpler, and well worth your while/a bit of extra dough if, as you say, you intend driving a lot.

cheers
    meples and Turbothinghy like this.
  5. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @meples with approximately 6000km per year and 500km per month running FE should not be a concern mate.
    Technically you would loose more money by selling the current one and buying a new one (unless you are fine exploring the used car market) and trust me the same money in your bank would not only take care of your fuel plus maintenance expenses, and you will end up with saving some huge bucks (even though I understand that you are planning to drive around occasionally, still change of car is not warranted for considering the average run). This is the financial aspect of the thought.

Now comes the other aspects, like peace of mind, hassel of running around for NOC etc..,.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    GANESH H and meples like this.
  6. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thanks everyone for the prompt response.

@Turbothinghy @prabhjot
    What will possibly happen if you don't get an NOC? I have read about people driving their cars for years without registering or paying any road tax. And what will happen (god forbid) if ever my car meets with an accident? Will the insurance cover me?

@PradeepM
    I have done some calculations and yes I agree with you. Right now, I'm confused. If I plan to sell it here, I will need to finish all the formalities (for which I might not have the time).
    PradeepM likes this.
  7. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    First of all the rules on NOC are quite cumbersome. Getting you a NOC from Bangalore RTO to Delhi RTO is easy. Your original registration card has to be surrendered to get a NOC. But you need to fulfill formality of paying road tax in Delhi within 90 days of issue of NOC failing which you need to renew again your NOC. I don't think sitting in Delhi and following your agent to do this is easy. In case you need to cancel NOC that is once again a big process involving your delhi police station report and so on. My suggestion would simply drive to Delhi. Use it there. In case for eg., you get caught say for 2 times a year you can always try to argue with the policeman or pay fine. Also remember the chances of getting caught for KA registration is less compared to two wheelers. If things are tolerable live with the car for some time. Else simply drive it back to Bangalore sell it whenever you feel like. Paying fine would be much easier than paying agent fee, road tax , renewal of NOC in case of unavoidable delay, followups, etc. This is my experience with bike. I'm not able to sell it or re register it as my NOC got expired. Really don't know what to do. Also if I try to sell it off I get under quotes just for this reason. Also I've decided to keep the bike until my last breath and thought that this is my fortune willing to be only with me.
    P.S. Till date I've not been caught even once for NOC for the past 4 years
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I agree that such cases are lesser in which one has to pay fine for driving with other state's number plate but nowadays these rules are getting stricter. So I would suggest what @KPR suggested; drive to Delhi and after sometime come to Bangalore and sell it. It treads a middle part here. This way, you will buy yourself sometime to take the decision.
  9. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hello friends,

Me here again :) Okay, the update is I'M DRIVING DOWN TO DELHI! :happy: I wasn't sure of it myself, considering the fact that my new employer was even ready to fly me down to Delhi. But then, after talking with Agarwal Packers & Movers, my conviction grew even stronger that I would be better off driving than giving them my car. Agarwal was charging me a hefty 17k (excluding insurance) + 100% advance to transfer my car to Delhi. Moreover, what made the deal sour was the fact that they said they'd drive the car 70 kms to their storehouse (somewhere near Tumkur) to load it onto a truck from where it would set sail for Delhi. Then drive another 40+kms from somewhere in Gurgaon to Mayur Vihar Ext where I intend to stay. Frankly, I'm not comfortable trusting a stranger with my car for 110 kms!

Anyway, now I (along with my wife) plan to drive down and document the journey as well :) Here's my plan as far as the route is concerned.
    Day 1- Bangalore-Pune
    Day2 - Pune - A'bad/Vadodara
    Day3- Vadodara/A'bad - Delhi

Do let me know what you think would be the best places to stay on route. I plan to finish it in 3 days max. Possible? Moreover, although I've heard it's safe all throughout, are there any stretches that I should be careful of/avoid? And, some road/highway tips as well. I don't plan to drive in the night.

This will be my first real long drive in my 1.2 (hope it doesn't disappoint). I'd also want to know if petrol pumps are aplenty in this route.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    rohitsharma, Ravi_M, limraj and 4 others like this.
  10. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    The section in which u will be driving @meples is one of the most important highways of India. So don't worry for anything; ⛽️, etc. Night driving, as you said, should be avoided always.
    Ravi_M likes this.