1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

To go for Punto or not?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sid_10000, Aug 19, 2013.

1. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    Automatic is not an option. She needs a manual car. She is no stranger to driving in city and has been doing that daily from last 7 years. So no auto for us.
    I hate this talk of "smoking" vehicles. In pune daily I let my Alto and Pulsar smoke Jags / BMWs / Mercs / Other assorted better made cars each day in traffic. Doesnt make me a hero or a crusader. Just proves that a smaller vehicle can shimmy its way out of traffic faster than a larger one.On similar runs, wife's alto "smokes" my TJet by minutes as she can afford jiggling in and out of traffic but I cannot. :)
    Alto's crumple zone include your knees & face. It's an unsafe car at speeds. But at slow bumper to bumper traffic it is pretty safe (kind off saves you from rain and all :D ) LOL.
  2. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

chennai
    Guess my usage of English was bad . I meant anyone can do it with an alto .. but , again on a lighter note you have a deal .|I am willing to try .

Haha ..now why would someone with a tjet let himself get smoked ?
    The F8d Motor is much better in the city due to a low end torque . The K10 is bad for neck to neck traffic . The clutch is so sensitive that i end up stalling the car everytime . I am used to heavier clutch like a diesel engine . I hate the light clutches

On a site related to Fiat cars , I was expecting this . The Alto comes in 800cc and 1 litre . The older 1.1 was discontinued a long time back is my guess . The chassis is not so bad , it does hold up when abused . For a small car the setup is well sorted out and the under body is very good in my opinion . The engine , GB , suspension are good enough for a city . For me the biggest saving grace is that the dents do not bother me on an alto .
  3. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    Couple of months back, I was in the same dilemma, for my dad. Wanted to replace our 7 year old M800. We already have Linea MJD for our highway trips. So wanted a ''city'' car for daily use. After lots of discussion & many TD's of almost all hatchbacks, we zeroed onto 1.2 Swift Zxi.

If you're looking for ''city'' car MT, and if you're comfortable with ''petrol'', I would strongly recommend you to look forward to Honda Brio & Swift 1.2. TD both; Forget about i20, i10, Figo, Ritz, Punto 1.2, Polo 1.2, Fabia et all. But again, do check Punto 1.4, if you're ready to take a hit on FE, & re-sale value.

Since you already drive a T-JET, am pretty sure, you might not be pleased with Brio's driving dynamics including the 'ultra-feather' light steering, though its highly acclaimed 1.2 i-Vtec's refinement & performance, is going to impress you a lot. & yes, mileage within city is going to be great, as long as you drive in such a way that the eco light stays on!

Coming to the Swift 1.2, you'll be surprised to see the refinement of 1.2 K-series with VVT, is on par with Honda's i-VTEC. Also, you'll surely be amazed to see the 'handling' part of Swift's 1.2. With the stock's 185/65/R15, Swift's handling is absolutely a delight within the city! Even straight line dynamics are also good, upto speed of 80kph. & am saying this, with comparison of my 2009 Linea MJD's. Am pretty confident, on swapping the 185 rubbers with 195/60/R15, Swift's handling will be top class, on par with that of our Punto's. Gear shift is top class in the petrol variant, even better than that of Honda's. One draw-back you might find, could be the poor low end torque. But again, it's not going to be annoying as few auto sites have reviewed. A simple down-shift & revv past 3k rpm, you'll have all the performance you need, if you ever want. Else, city drivability is really good. FE was not bad either during my TD of 10kms, within the city. And considering the features, of zxi model, it's definitely a VFM. I sealed the deal at 6.45L, on road Pondy, for zxi,

If you ever TD this one, just try revving up all the way to 6000rpm, & you'll be asking yourself, is this engine borrowed from Honda! Few more drawbacks would be, tiny boot space of 209 litres, and relatively small rear windows, & all black interiors could make you feel a little cramped in the rear; leg-room was 'sufficient'.

And, if you're looking for a diesel to commute within the city, just got one thing to say, get the 75hp Punto! Get the 90hp, if you need some top end performance, in case if you're planning to take it onto highways. I did TD the 1.3 ddis Swift; city drivability is good, and you can take the car right from the 2nd gear with a little touch of the accelerator, & you'll zoom off. Performance is good. But, the refinement is no where near to that of Fiat's own MJD! It's just the power to weight ratio of Punto, that makes one feel, 75hp of Punto a little dull to drive on comparison with Swift. As a whole package, I would rate Punto 75hp, better than Swift's 1.3 ddis.

Now, am pretty sure, many TFI'ans are going to bash me right here! :sad1
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India

The answer to this ques of yours would be that, that someone with the tjet is sensible enough to leave the speeding and the race thrill for tracks and highways. Owning a tjet or a bigger, faster car doesn't mean that one has to stay ahead.
    3 people like this.
  5. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

chennai
    What i was trying to point out is owning a bigger car , better car does not necessarily mean that it is easy to drive around in a city traffic . As you happened to point out .. a smaller , no frills car makes better sense in the city is what i was trying to point out .The bigger better ones are much more useful for the highways . You do not use a AK47 to shoot mosquitoes
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Things like "Smoke him / her /that" look good in ridiculous films such as Fast n Furious 1,2,3.....100...

In real life, be safe! Smoking is injurious to health :evilsmile
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Question:
    Answer:
    Rajan