1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

To go for Punto or not?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sid_10000, Aug 19, 2013.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Same driver, more aggressive style of driving on the 90, even then 90 delivers atleast 2 kmpl more on the highways. Even, ARAI mileage for 90 is more than 75. That's my point. In short, both cars need to be driven very differently to achieve expected power and mileage. I am talking after doing highway trips (450kms) every alternate weekend on both cars interchangeably.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    take more test drive buddy if you still not fully convinced. drive in all sorts of roads. feel the true beauty.
  3. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    All going OT now :D
    I am sure the 90HP is just fine... but 75 suits all my needs...
    "But turbo failure is inevitable" sounds more like "Doomsday is coming" to me... I will be +ve that Punto will be a great companion for years to come (3 max after which wife may start complaining again)

Thanks all for your views and opinions.
  4. sidindica

sidindica

-
    Lemme answer this question, as an average car buyer and as an owner of a 75 bhp punto.

Lady driving an alto->upgrade to a punto, its one and a half size up, and factors like visibility, size and above all, safety come in mind, along with city driving plus ease of use. For the same, if you do want to spend intelligently, get her a punto 75 dynamic and upgrade the wheels and tyres to a GOOD BRAND 15" or emotion (if you do really need the safety of an airbag).

In B-2-B city traffic, with AC on, it will return 13ish if driven sedately. Without AC, 14-14.5 ish.
    On highway, realistically expect 17-19 kmpl in combined driving conditions.

Service with oil change shold cost in the Range of Rs. 5.5-7k, depending on the job done and labour incurred, which is still 40-50% cheaper than the VW. And, the 2013 Punto comes with an option of 5 year warranty, and warranty claims are generally smooth, at least in Delhi from what I have seen.

Though, please remember that she needs to get used to the ergonomics, which are slightly different from the Linea.

Above all, its the safety that gives the punto a fortress like feeling in any condition its driven in. With the raised GC, the handling has suffered, yes, and is not FTD, say as a figo, BUT the GC of 185 mm has been a boom in Indian condition, so a good compromise is there. My sincere advise is to upgrade to 15" after purchase, if you do go for dynamic. if you don't wanna put alloys, you can easily fit Linea steel rims with Linea wheel caps and a good 195/60 r15 tyres, more than adequate for the car.

Secondary option:IN CASE the comfort level and user friendliness is still highly important, there is only one alternative hatch I can suggest for her: The Micra facelift DCI XV. Is a very, very competent city diesel hatch with good build and now comes with ABS and dual airbags as well. Maintenance costs are similar BUT remember service can be dicey. But, its so easy to drive and user friendly, hence the recommendation.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

chennai
    My suggestion would be to get an automatic . The punto gets on my nerves with the constant gear changes . Yes , the highways are fun to drive ,but the punto is best left at that . I could smoke any punto be it the 75 or the 90HP anytime , any day in the city with an alto .The alto is a much better vehicle , inside the city and there are no 2 thoughts about . I would suggest that you either keep the alto or try to get an automatic for your wife . The punto /polo does not make sense in the traffic and even the mileage figures would be almost the same for an automatic inside the city , especially in blr .
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Amusing. :) Would love to get smoked sometime, shall we? ;)
    2 people like this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I think he must have encountered me on the roads some day and assumed - "If I can smoke a T-Jet with an Alto, what is the big deal with a Punto". Guess he never realized that I let him smoke me by choice :D

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  8. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Hope greatmana doesnt turn up in a K10 for the smoking session, K10 will win hands down in a city sprint..
  9. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Smoking is injurious to health.. just saying..
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Oh, that 0 safety rating car, right? A 1.1L 3 cylinder petrol mounted on a tin-can, sure should go fast than a fat arsed heavy 1.3L turbo-diesel Italian.
    3 people like this.