1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

To go for Punto or not?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sid_10000, Aug 19, 2013.

1. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    We already have a TJet for highway duties. It is very potent in leaving scores of vehicles behind :)
    This one will strictly for In-City runs.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. bharathj85

bharathj85 Regolare

Chennai
    I have driven both 90 and 75 back to back but found out NIL difference in city. I have not driven the 90 on highways. And heard 90 is little expensive to maintain than 75 in long run say more than 5yrs since cost of Fuel pump, turbo are all triple the price of 75.

If the major driving is on city and is a long term vision then i would recommend 75hp
  3. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    The ride and handling is the only thing that trumps the Punto if a comparison is made between the two.. However Punto is a VFM hatch..

Now coming back to your questions

1. The experience WRT servicing has improved quite a bit after the divorce from TATA and is heading in the right direction- fingers crossed
    2. 75 is the one for B2B traffic with better low end performance
    3. Mileage expectancy is as follows
    90 hp- 13 to 15 city and 18 to 20 on highway
    75 hp- 16 to 18 city and 20 to 22 on highway
    As we all know extraction of mileage depends on the driver and driving style
    4. Very minimal- you can only notice it on really curvy roads (read ghat roads) which I don't think is a deal maker or breaker
    5. Upgrades- Well only Fiat can answer that I guess

Overall i would suggest a 75hp

P.S You have the option of a remap if you feel you need more power under that hood...
    2 people like this.
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

^ I disagree with the mileage part.

The 90HP is more fuel efficient in the highways inspite of maintaining more speeds than what you would on the 75HP. First hand experience, multiple times, multiple cars.

@bharath(For your reply meant here, elsewhere): You need to drive more, buddy. And parts like turbo and fuel pump are not parts which are supposed to fail after 5 years. VGT turbo costs double of FGT. Not triple.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Also, in my personal experience, getting more mileage with Linea MJD than 90hp. :)
    1 person likes this.
  6. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    I guess you didnt read this line

I was referring to realistic figures which are achievable by any driver, if the 75 is driven at a steady 60 you can expect 27+ on mileage which I believe most of them would agree upon...
  7. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    Thanks Mate for the replies... As I mentioned this car would be driven by Wife...
    And the only map (or remap) she is allowing would be on the navigator :D

This would be run stock I guess... I have a free rein on the TJet though... Tradeoff :)

I might go in for the Punto Sports stickering though... and speakers (without her knowing of course)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Wife is a very safe and a sedate driver. She extracts 18 from her Alto. Extracted 16 from my TJet
    I am sure she can match KTM Duke 390 in terms of the Mileage :D
    1 person likes this.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    +1

I would also vote for the 75. I cannot put it in words, but contrary to expectations, the 75 does feel "stronger" while puttering around city. I love driving the 75, no secrets there. :)

Cheers.
    3 people like this.
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Please do note of the lags present in our MJD. I am not sure how much of a lag present in the 75hp. But in 90 HP, in B2B traffic it really gets tiring for the legs and gear shifts are a constant.
  10. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    This we noticed in the test drives. Major factor in deciding the ride we will buy.