1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tjet or city CVT

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by amiti, Mar 30, 2014.

1. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    My Dad drives a third generation Honda City (one before the current one).he said two things yesterday and his words touched my heart.

1. Honda is no longer the honda they used to be. The new City is a sheer example of it. He did not like the build in comparision to the one that he is driving.
    2. He said the interiors of new linea are amazing and fiat is improving in this competitve market where as many others are deteriorating
    5 people like this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    ENKI, I have seen too many dolphin shaped hondas totaled and really it has put passengers and families in serious conditions post accidents. When I look at Linea it gives me a much better feeling of safety.

Very True Ramjn, also Accord is too big to haul around in the city. Civic on the contrary is much better. But yet again the frontal crumple zone is not something very promising. However, if ever I buy a Honda I shall go for the Civic, because I love the way the cabin and dash etc. is designed. It has an international mass appeal. And most Americans too love it. Why Americans one may ask? It's because of the choice of cars that a Market like US has on offer.

If safety is the consideration all Skoda and VW and other high end german siblings share the same saftey standards and philosophy. Not much of a problem there except budget, features and looks etc.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Bharath, very passionately written.:razz: I can see you are very loyal to your car and it's brand, just like most of us would like to believe that we are.
    The Off-topic you mentioned is actually a very relevant and true argument you have made. So it is really an on-topic, since this topic is infact really about a Japanese/Korean vs German/Italian/European car. (Honda vs Fiat) :grin:

Your point being that Japanese/Korean are clever people when it comes to marketing, customer satisfaction, production technology and efficiency. I would term the European are no less clever, except they have a different focus. Where the europeans win or loose at the same time is their high cost of research and development, main focus on quality and safety standards that meet European customer requirement. (second to none - category per category). Now since this is a fact, how do they manage to sell cars like Vento or Polo at the prices they are, that's a real intriguing question.

The Germans/European have always concentrated on the niche markets and have lost in the long run not being able to cater to the bread and butter markets of India. Imagine instead of Maruti_Suzuki, if it would have been Maruti-VW, we would not be having this discussion and Amiti would be saying the same things you are saying about Honda/Hyundai and such. Besides VW stands for people's car, right? Skoda (acquired by VW) still has a very good brand presence and VW group cannot afford to kill it to push their premium cars in the Market. Skoda cars were not manufactured or designed much differently due to the similar natures of Czech/Slovanians and German car designs. Skoda has it's market share for the progressively richer Indian class of people, the executive, the businessman, who would like to have European built quality that offers premiumness/awesomeness at marginally higher prices without attracting attention or having to pay excess for owning Audi/Mercs and BMWs.

Just yesterday, I saw a youtube video of VW Passat Petrol/Diesel and was amazed to know that at 25lacs ballpark figure, they are offering features that are not available in thrice that expensive cars. You see these are the people who take the concepts and pay royalties and make money in niche, till slowly they are copied by others making them a standard feature one day on all cars.

In 90s too I would have considered an ABS as exotic feature, whereas it is still a beautiful feature more a practical feature, yet there is not rocket science behind it and incorporating it is becoming easier by the day.

Another point I think is if you look at Swift Vxi or Vdi, the most loved hatchback by Indian masses it is by no means cheap and the Punto in comparison offers a lot more if you are willing to let go the zippiness factors that the likes of Swift are known for. That way seen a Swift is much overvalued and overrated for the material and proprietary stuff that actually goes in this car. It is a perfect car for a city like Mumbai where, drivability and traffic will go from bad to worse each passing day despite growing bridges and road expansions etc.

@Amiti, couple of questions to ask yourself again.
    a) who will pay for the car.
    b) who will drive the car.
    c) how often will the car by used with the family.
    d) will buying a Honda City not hurt yourself (as in not the car you really wanted) or you think Honda City is also Ok and Tjet is also Ok.

If you see a child, he doesn't know why he wants a toy. The mother and father know that very well, still to keep their child happy they decide to buy it for him/her. If it is your car it should be your decision and your passion that will make others see that maybe you are right and going your way is the best way.

A parent would rather be happy later if the child is happy giving into his or her wishes rather than a grown up like yourself being miserable or repenting his or her decision later. You do not want to be thinking, "if only I would have put my foot down that time."

If it's a personal car make it a personal decision and if it's a family car, then family comes first. Except if you think you will hurt your wife or parents by your decision.

If you like Honda City go ahead and buy it. You need not defend your decision to anyone here either. If you like Tjet still go ahead and book it and keep convincing at home later. It will make life easier for yourself and others. Seriously and Sincerely.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    5 people like this.
  4. bharath

bharath Regolare

Coimbatore
    Its a wow, simpleson :).Thanks for pouring these behind the scenes Information.You have penned down deeply the things which were floating in my mind.It feels bad that we are considered third world country and poured cheap products [in terms of safety measures].But even I am not OK with VW or Skoda for its exorbitant pricing in our country but still I wanted a SAFE & STURDY car like Ambassador:).Glad that I ended with an Euro Car but with a reasonable service/spare costs(Like that of a Jap).When we bought Linea ,I was asked why not Swift car :confused1 or Verna.People are just glued to the TRADITION and I could atleast manage to let people of my generation to learn about the product and go for it rather than to go with market perception.

Instead of Tjet vs City, this is becoming Informative on various fronts.Thanks everybody for your time and Information.I keep sharing many articles from TFI and people are like :eek: & :nicethread.
    1 person likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    :eek:fftopic You have touched a topic that's very close to my heart, The Amby or Morris Oxford still manages to bring the smiles on the faces of Britishers who take pride in British engineering, who believe in rock solid things themselves. Even today. They are the real engineers and architects who like to make things that can go for centuries together. Look at their a bridges and railroads etc. we built it but they planned it.

If it were upto me I would plonk in a 1.6MJD in all Ambassadors across India via some special ordinance passed across the country to keep them on roads another 100-200 years. :evilsmile. Also would like to bring back the HM Contessa.
    2 people like this.
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Ok... Honda US selling 30000/40000 Accords & Civics per month, I always wondered how the hell they manage profit with a paltry sale of 100-200 accords sold/month. May be idea was that there will be surge for luxury vehicles in near future. We blame FIAT for not bringing Jeep, Alfa Romeo in India, well guess what, selling 300-400 Grand Cherokee in an Year here is not going to do any good either to India nor FIAT. I don't agree that India is a growing market, it can't be until these filthy politicians keep cars that heavily taxed. India is still pile of rubbish A-seg. cars with 12 inch wheels.

As Ram said, If you want to save some money and still get International driving experience, like being big & heavier, value safety with beautiful exteriors, FIAT is the only option. If you don't care for money & not convinced with a FIAT, Go for Octavia/Laura. Both are great and fun to drive cars & no way your family would reject them.
    1 person likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    How about a Skoda Rapid Ultima 1.6 MPI AT Elegance. It looks a much better car than to go for a segment higher like Octy or even Laura TSI.

The one thing I like about a Skoda is it's interior, it is such an eye-candy. Total value for money on that count.

Skoda Rapid Ultima 1.6 MPI AT Elegance - Price, Review | CarDekho.com
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Yeh. Rapid is much much better choice than the City. The order now should be,

Linea T-Jet
    Rapid 1.6 MPI AT
    Laura
    Octavia

Take a call soon. :)
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I personally found some liking for 2014 Octavia lately... Like those Audish lines, they did catch me. I think, it's best looking car right now on the road, beats Linea on looks but there is a difference of a whole generation & price too. Linea not doing that bad at all...

Imagine what would have happened if a Civic Type R were available with 10 lacs on road?? So tell me, you still you want to vote those dirty politicians..:evilsmile

954312431061263568.jpg
  10. amiti

amiti

Pune
    a. I will be paying for the car.
    b. I will be driving the car.
    c. They will just sit inside the car, no one else will drive it.
    d. I am confused here.