1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tjet or city CVT

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by amiti, Mar 30, 2014.

1. amiti

Dear Friends,

I need your help in choosing the right car.

I am looking for a good sedan, petrol only. I had almost shortlisted city CVT vx costing around 12.8 lacs in Pune. However I liked Linea TJet. Now I am confused.

Things I will miss on Tjet is an auto and sunroof. Nothing else. My grouse regarding city is the GC, no underthigh support and weak AC.

Need your suggestions and few pointers that will help me in choosing the right car.
  2. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

I am not sure how many people on this forum will advise you to buy a City :anyone

Anyways, I have driven both the cars, 2013 T-JET to be precise, and here are the observations -

1. City -
    -> Silky smooth engine and gear shift.
    -> Powerful A/C
    -> Features like the paddle shift, sun roof etc
    -> Good legroom.
    -> Proven Honda reliability.

Cons -
    -> Looks are subjective, but I didnt like the nose of the new City. That big chrome bar looks out of place.
    -> Not as solidly built as Fiat.
    -> Steering though I guess little heavier than previous generation City is still no match to the Linea. So, feedback is not that great.
    -> Soft suspension spoils the fun. No serious cornering on this one.
    -> Interiors though good have some messed ergonomics viz. the Start-Stop button looks like an after thought. I also didnt like the shape on the A/C vents above the centre console.

2. Linea

-> Fabulous build quality. Looks drop dead gorgeous PERIOD.
    -> Superb ride and handling, perhaps the best you can get for this side of 1 million.
    -> Interiors, the fly in the ointment till now, has now been take care of :cool:
    -> Peppy 1.4 motor, but the gear shift in 2013 T-JET was a bit rubbery. I am not sure if this has been fixed.

-> I think legroom is little less compared to the City
    -> Service network is still evolving. It is much better than what it was around 3 years ago but I think Honda has an edge here.
    -> No automatic variant as of now.

In a nutshell, if you are looking for a driver's car...go for the T-JET.
    5 people like this.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello Amiti,

Between Linea TJEt and new Honda City, I would choose the TJET any given day. My friend owns a 2009 Honda City in black color and I have lots of experience with the car. My professor has a 2010 Honda City white color.

Things in favour of Linea:
    01. Linea has a very strong body (built like a tank) whereas Honda City has a very light body. My professor's car hit a cycle rickshaw and the bumper perforated.
    02. Linea is a turbocharged petrol whereas City is a NA engine altough power is same in both.
    03. Linea is more beautiful (both old and new Linea) but this is subjective.
    04. Servicing cost and spare part cost is lower for Linea.
    05. Ride quality of Linea and steering feedback is miles ahead.
    06. Backrests of front seats are much more comfortable.
    07. More equipment level in Linea (except Auto and sunroof).

Things in favour of City:
    01. Sunroof and auto transmission can be good for those long drives. <3 :p
    02. PaddleShifters (see my username here).
    03. Keyless entry and start stop.
    04. Honda badge on grill (this Honda badge thing is becoming old btw with the emergence of so many brands and new cars).
    05. Not that City has good resale but poor resale of Fiats makes City have an edge in this aspect.

Spare part sourcing/availability is no longer a significant issue with Fiats as we have dedicated dealerships for Fiat now (this was a headache during the time of TATA when even things like brake pads used to go out of stock)

I, for one, give more weightage to looks+ride+steering feedback+ safety over brand and resale as our family is a frequent upgrader or changes car in less than 3-5 years. Resale matters to those who like to change cars and upgrade often, usually within 3-5 years. Not to mention the savings due to discounts offered on Fiats.

Hence, I would go for FIAT Linea instead of Honda City.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    6 people like this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

spare parts for FIAT is no longer an issue . In fact i've personally seen folks in bangalore being very happy with FIAT because parts are available easily.
    Secondly, its all about the brand name that honda is really holding on right now.
    parts are definitely expensive compared to FIAT .(to agree why dont you do that research yourself, instead of us telling you).
    My cousin drives the ANHC and when i drove it out of the showroom i hated myself to have taken the driver's seat.
    The clutch is heavy , brakes are made of bottle caps i guess there is just no bite in them.
    What will you buy a car like that for?

If you simply want a car which will take you from point A to point B then there is really nothing between the FIAT and Honda IMO.
    But if your expecting at least some amount of fun , safety and happiness then its the FIAT.
    3 people like this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3

A lot of experienced TFI members and a growing no. of Puntos and Lineas are seen at Pune. At my last visit to a friend near Wakad, I was amazed to see the no. of Linea, Puntos and good no. of Palio stiles around the area making me wonder as if there are more Fiats than Marutis there. Also the forum has a growing no. of enthusiastic fans from Pune. So hopefully you can have people who can share and support know how and support for the fantabulous Tjet (petrol).

The FE and pickup benefit and control of a manual Tjet is great unless you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic too often for you daily commutes.

This day you cannot go wrong with the Tjet. As regards handling and safety and sturdy built quality Fiat beat the City fair and square. Doesn't make the city any less of a car either. But if you are looking for a driving experience, Tjet it should be..!

As regards pros and cons, paddleshifter has mentioned them very well. Take your pick. (read Tjet :wink:) :p
    4 people like this.
  6. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Just to be clear on my comment on "Service Network"...Service is very good. It is just that at times you might have to wait for part(s) to arrive; all depends on the specific part + your city.
    1 person likes this.
  7. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Amit...Copy pasting what I posted yesterday in another thread.

I own a Linea & my parents own a City. From driving both the cars I can say that Fiat always thrills me. It made me a better traveller, it made me fall into the art of driving.. City is like Point A-B no nonsense car. But you won't feel anything after a good long drive. Where as Linea is just the opposite. Ive even taken the car at midnight just for a ride after a long drive just coz of the love I have towards Linea...

In my opinion City scores in city driving. Its an easy to drive car. Where as Fiat is a beast in highways and you'll feel safe too. The ride & handling is the best under Rs.20lakh car. Also the suspension, braking & build quality are top notch.

And about resale value. Its the only place where Linea scores less. There is a considerable loss of money when you sell a Fiat car. But thats coz of the brand image they have. But its changing fast. I think to build the brand value better, they are doing their best, even better than other companies. I guarantee you that you'll never regret a moment buying the car coz of the sheer pleasure it gives you driving.

Adding to that me too feel what GirishRaghu mentioned. New City's nose look awkward!
    5 people like this.
  8. Shri1972

Shri1972 Amatore

I have no experience with the Honda City but being a proud owner of T- jet can always comment in it.
    T jet is a wonderful car , driving is sheer pleasure . Even in Pune city driving , I found it quite good. Driven decently , gives a really decent mileage . The handling is wonderful , stays planted on highways at high speeds . AC is excellent . The new model has addressed the issue of adequate space for bottle holder also.
    In my opinion , go for T jet .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3 people like this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Interestingly Tjet is more car per car than a Jetta Petrol...not too difficult now..!

Interesting Comparo of Linea 1.4 T-JET Petrol vs JETTA 1.6 Petrol :

Linea T-JET+ 1.4

Jetta 1.6 Petrol
    1.4 liter turbo
    1.6 liter NA

10.5 seconds
    12.2 seconds

Turning radius
    5.5 metres
    5.4 metres

Ground Clearance

Kerb Weight

Boot space
    500 liters
    530 liters

16 inch
    16 inch

8.63 lacs
    13.10 lacs

When it comes to the Petrol variants, I would say that Linea is scoring more as compared to Jetta. T-JET is faster as compared to Jetta 1.6. But when we compare the diesel variants, Jetta wins hands down in terms of performance.
    [HR][/HR]The above information were shared/forwarded by our TFIan friend Aniket Bari. Thanks to him for the interesting comparo.

:p E & OE

MOD Note : Please use an appropriate tabular format or a picture of the table you want to share, for better reading experience.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2016
    3 people like this.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Do you want to just commute (City) or do you want to enjoy that commute as well? (Jet) ;)

Take your pick!
    10 people like this.