1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tjet FTA: The New Saga

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by vanandwiz, Aug 7, 2012.

1. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Ravi sir, Liked the way you put it ... :)

And what a timing of your post! Last evening was waiting near Lavelle Road area (Blore) to pick up my wife. Had to wait for @ 10 mins for her and believe it or not, in this short span of time, I saw @ 3-4 Puntos and @ 3-4 Lineas on this single road!!! So @ 8 Fiats on single road within 10 mins! I was really happy to note this :clap Slowly but surely there is a change!
    1 person likes this.
  2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

vanandwiz, congrats on getting the FTA TJet+. FTA was my dream color but somehow I could not manage to get hold of it thanks to some bums from Tata and their dealers. I now have started liking my Bronzo Scuro and so modifying J Ravi's quote below

FIAT Linea 1.4 TJet+ FTA is the most rarest of the rare car
    FIAT Linea 1.4 TJet+ Bronzo Scuro is rarer than FIAT Linea 1.4 TJet+ FTA!!!
    2 people like this.
  3. Congratulations vanand on your Jet :)
    This is one mean machine!
    Wish you happy and safe mile munching with your jet :)
  4. rajankamboj

It is a great car and total value for money.This beauty likes to be revved hard.It takes a while to get used to this beauty.
    I too am a proud owner of FTA TJET+ (bought almost a month back).
    Wishing you great experience with your TJET.
  5. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Tjet FTA: The Saga - RELOADED

Tjet FTA: The Saga - RELOADED

First week & weekend drive

I was getting used to the dimensions of car; understanding feature after feature. I was very conscious in keeping the RPM under 2000; it was easy… just don’t press the accelerator!! (he he… I was kidding). Actually it was the effect of driving WagonR; it had a lower RPM band, I could move into 5th gear at 50 Km/hr. The change to new power band and gear ratio preempted me from exceeding 2000 RPM.

Actually the transition from a small car to big car was smooth. I was seriously worried that I am getting one of the longest cars. The car was as long as Innova. The rear view mirror (with OVRM) had good visibility and with reverse sensors, parking and U-turn is not as difficult as I presumed.
    The next one week passed with me displaying and demonstration the car to the near and dear ones. The big questions were, why petrol? Why Fiat?.... I had all the answers lined up. But to them cost-per-Km was the question; but for me pleasure (+ safety) was the motto. (Moreover I will be doing 8000 KMS per year; math was simply against getting a diesel in the same variant)

The first and big weekend arrived. I was all set for the long drive to Krishnagiri (my wife’s native place). I knew the Chennai-Krishnagiri road like the back of my palm. I have done countless trips to Krishnagiri in the last seven years. My wife, two kids, and in-laws accompanied me. Usually (with WagonR) I start on Friday late-night and come back on Sunday early-night. But this time I planned Saturday early morning. On hindsight it was a good decision to have a daytime ride on the new car.
    The car had 180 Kms on the Odo!! Started at 5:45 AM from my house in Tambaram. The luggage was loaded to the brim; the kids got in. Now slowly I reversed my way out of my flat; down the ramp onto the road. I heard mild squeaking sound; the exhaust pipe was not able to clear the road; rather the exhaust was trying to dig a pit in the road!!!:eek:. I immediately stopped the car and forwarded the car back into the car-park, removed all the payload including the kids; now I was able to comfortably come onto the road (reloaded the luggage on the road).

Usually I go through Manimangalam route. But this time I choose Outer ring road; since I will have 4 lanes all the way till Krishnagiri. With full load & luggage the car was struggling for power on the highway!! (But learned later that I was the culprit in not know to drive it) The car has to be in 2000-3000 power band. But I was doing 1000-2000 RPM and expecting power. It took some time to learn the gears. So the long drive was a sedate one; constantly under 100 Km/hr. But one thing I found was that it was like driving my WagonR at 60 Km/hr (Linea@100 = WagonR@60). The car was solid as a rock. I could go into corner without braking (earlier I had to brake). We had a 30 minutes pitstop for breakfast at Kancheepuram bypass. We reached Krishnagiri at 10:30 AM. The average consumption was 13 Km/lt. The Odo was at 442 Kms.

Next day we planned to go Dakshin Tirupathi. From Krishnagiri…. It was after Soolagiri but before Hosur. We started Sunday morning around 9:30 AM. Traffic was moderate to heavy; and with the 6 lane conversion in progress, it took 45 minutes to the place. As usual my father-in-law gave wrong direction and we took the wrong left turn. It was a single road and we had to turn back. Initially I thought of doing the full 500 meters in reverse; but after some reversing I got off the road and managed the U-turn in a single road. Wow! Passed the first test! We joined back on the highway and took the next left turn to reach Dakshin Tirupathi. (Please check the photos in my Album)

The temple was perched on top of a small hill. We could drive atop with parking near the temple. We had good darshan. The weather was perfect; a strong southern wind; very very mild drizzle. The view from the hilltop was terrific. Below, a small river was flowing behind the temple. There were paddy, vegetable and coconut fields along both sides of the river. The Thali and Denkanikottai hill ranges gave a great backdrop to the scenery. We had a peaceful time-pass outside the temple.
    Next we planned to go to the river. To reach the river I had to take the next parallel road. We went down the road into a small village to reach the river. Actually the road was bang-on driving into the river and the road continued in the other side of the river. If only water was not there we could drive to the other side; heard from the locals that the river was dry most times except during rainy seasons. Spent some time there; with great reluctance we started back. Filled up my tank at the McDonald petrol bunk. While returning it was downhill; so the speedo touched 140 with ease (But the RPM was below 2500). I had to try hard to back-off and avoid speeding. With all four disc brake, ABS with EBD and 205mm tyres; my priority on safety was reassuring. We reached Krishnagiri in 20 minutes (around 3 PM).

Took a break and we were all set to return to Chennai. Planned to start at 6:00 PM. But ended up starting at 8:30 PM. The traffic was sparse till Vellore; managed a steady speed between 100 & 120. From Vellore the traffic increased (probably lot of folks returning back to Chennai) and the 6-lane conversion did not help. After Walajah and before Kancheepuram many stretches were full of patch work. It was a bouncy trip back. Wondering how they could collect toll for such a road.
    Took the Sriperumbuthur-Manimangalam-Tambaram road. The road has significantly improved in the last one year. The road has been re-laid; reflectors are in place; good to drive. There is a two kilometer single road stretch once you take a right from Sriperumbuthur-Kundrathur road. This is one stretch you have to be careful; but the road-shoulders have been strengthened with mud so you can get off the road without much worry (this was not the case few years back). Also 10 KMS further down there are two bridges and a construction is in progress in one of them. That apart, the road is a breeze; saves distance and time.

Reached home at 11:30 PM. Three hours drive from Krishnagiri. The Odo was at 756 Kms. The Average consumption on tripB was a whooping 17.2 Km/lt!!! :p … I could visibly see it in the fuel indicator… Only quarter tank was empty. So if you don’t push the baby and keep a steady speed; you can get great mileage. But I really doubt how long I might manage to do it!!
    4 people like this.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

I always park my Linea in the garage with the front side facing the road so that I could take out my Linea without any external assistance as I would get clear view of traffic on the road. This will also prevent the exhaust from touching the road.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    anand , yes the 4 discbrakes helps a lottttt .. from 140 to 30 in no time it will bring you and also for the power it has it needs 4 discs to stop it :) fiat has correctly built it

yeah secondly yes 17.2 is great mileage , if you drive light footed you (@ 90 - 110) will get this for sure yeah but thats hard in this car , while driving with out noticing by us you see the speed will be above 140 in odo most of times :) ... enjoy the JET
  8. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Nice to see that you're enjoying the car.

One suggestion, if I may, don't baby-sit the car, let it breathe, but just be gentle and gradual with the car.

Also, how were you doing 140 under 2500 rpm? Even if it were a downward slope then the engine braking would've prevented it.
  9. sungoa2010

Ravi Sir, If you have a passage to home from car parking area, in my opinion the exhaust gas can enter the home and we have the high possibility of breathing more.
    Though it is very convenient I used to park front inside and back out side.:) For long run it may have some effect on our health.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

In Bangalore, my Linea is parked within a closed garage [the exhaust gas will dissipate by the time I close the doors], and in Chennai, it has a covered parking with the front and rear sides open. As such, there is no possibility of exhaust gas entering home in my Linea's case.
    1 person likes this.