1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TJET Engine Knocking while accelerating ???

Discussion in 'Technical' started by bsrej, May 2, 2015.

1. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi Team,

I have been noticing this issue for around 2 weeks now. While accelerating in 4th and 5th gears (immediately after shifting gears), I could feel a knocking or missing from the engine. I could even feel a vibration on the gas pedal.

After repeated occurrences, I have noticed that this happens when the RPM is around 1500 - 1600.

This happens only when i go for a quick acceleration. No issues found, if go with normal acceleration.

Has anybody faced this issue ? What could be the reason ?
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Looks like you are up shifting too early. Trying to suddenly accelerate puts lot of strain on the engine when you are on a higher gear and car is too slow. In such situation you have to down shift to avoid stressing the engine.
    prabhjot and bsrej like this.
  3. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks Ravi for the response. I am more than happy if that is the only reason :kiss:..... I can correct my driving style to overcome the issue.:happy:

I am upshifting when the RPM reaches around 2K and after the gear shift the RPM falls to 1.5 K. I was a bit worried as this has NEVER happened earlier.

I was suspecting something going wrong with Turbo charger !!! :(
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Yes, it needs investigation if it has never happened earlier.
  5. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    I have visited Ramkay Service center, Chennai. Explained the symptoms and service advisor said that it is quite normal and gave the same reason as Ravi Hegde suggested.

When asked why it didn't occur earlier, he said now it is surfacing due to wear and tear .....
  6. snmalhotra

snmalhotra Timido

faridabad
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    What i have seen, usually the engine works best between 1800 - 2200 rpm...one should drive in between these...and change the gear if u go above 2400 and below 1600 so as to bring the optimum running gear
    bsrej likes this.
  7. Tjet+963

Tjet+963 Timido

pune
    I also have noticed similar symptoms a year ago in t jet but only during climbing ghats not on normal roads. one reason could be fuel and another may be the summer heat. Best is to downshift below 1500rpm. Now I always practice this.
    bsrej likes this.
  8. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    T
    There is nothing wrong with your car or your engine... you need to shift gears at appropriate RPM/Speed combination..Happened to me couple of times.. now I have improved my gearing habits.
    prabhjot and bsrej like this.
  9. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks to all of you for your comments. I have altered my gear shift pattern and didn't see this problem occurring in the 1500 KM vacation drive during last week :happy: !!! Hope that resolves the issue !!!
  10. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @bsrej, I think you already resolved it. Just a minor adjustment in driving pattern. I happened to stall TJet during my initial days, got accustomed to the power delivery and nature of TJet and I face no problems now.
    bsrej likes this.