1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TJet+ Accident: Need Help

Discussion in 'Insurance & Loan Reviews' started by adrena, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Hi All...

Here is a post from a member who doesn't post too often but believes in this gang for help.

Let me get to the point - I had a fairly scary crash yesterday on Western Express Highway, Kalanagar Junction, Bandra, Mumbai. The sequence of events is actually quite crazy. I was on the down slope of the flyover heading north towards the signal and for about 4 to 5 seconds, I seem to have simply blanked out. I have no other explanation for this behaviour as it has never happened before. I will visit a doc to find out more but I am guessing work stress just got to my mind. During these seconds, I was hurtling down at a good speed (about 60+) towards a stopped Innova. Just before it got too close, I slammed the brakes but it was too late and the crash happened. Pix attached will tell you the extent of damage. I must also tell you that I am now not sure whether I did blank out for that long or was it just something else.

IMAG0568.jpg IMAG0574.jpg

I really need help with a few points:
    • I don't think the brakes worked. I've always suspected the brakes on the TJet+ but now this raises that doubt to a whole new level. I wonder what the ABS did too. The car simply went on and hit the car in front.
    • Airbags did do anything. I am sure I was at a fairly high speed. Yes, the 'Check Airbag' / 'Airbag Malfunction' light is now on on the dash. But that is it.
    • What should I do to claim insurance? I have been told to tell the insurance that this happened in rush hour traffic and that no one was hurt. Which part is true. The damaged Innova owner is not pressing any charges as he was more concerned about me than his car. I am paying for his damages separately.
    • I called Fortune Cars Andheri East as I know the GM there but they're changing themselves into Concorde so they cannot take the car for at least 4 more days.
    • I've had a bad experience at Torrid Cars (Fiat Authorised now) again at Andheri East. Haven't been there after neither do I know anyone there.
    • Should I call the insurance company first and take it from there? I am with Future Generali in my second year with no claims made earlier.

I also noticed something very peculiar - there was a lot of smoke in the cabin. I cannot tell if this was before or after the crash but it felt like that caused me to black out. I am not even sure if the seatbelt pretensioners exploded to cause smoke. Seat belts sure saved me.

As things stand, the car drives perfectly. Straight geometry, no trouble from engine neither any stray rattling due to the crash.

I am trying to first focus on getting my car back to perfect working order, get the Innova fixed and try to save as much money as I can. That is actually my priority list. Please do try to help me here.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. Sorry , thank god you are safe. It needs little more crumbling on the front or massive deceleration to activate airbags.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Adrena,

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to know that you and the occupants of the Innova are safe. Thank Fiat for the strong build quality that the damages were minimized to a great extent.

I for sure believe that the brakes did work else the impact would have been far more worser. The ABS does not bring the car to a standstill as you must be aware, it just helps to prevent the tyre locking.

You should still take the car to Torrid Motors are they are the official Fiat dealer/workshop. At the same time inform FG about the incident and ask them to arrange for a surveyour immediately. Things can start rolling from there.

Regarding the condition you spoke of getting blank, you need to get the proper medication ASAP. Driving the car under stress is not advisable at all. This incident should be an eye opener for you, hope you take care in future
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Call Shifa from torrid for any assistance +91 9167690103 and don't worry any service too :)
  5. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    Sad to hear about the accident but great to hear that no one was hurt. The airbags generally don't deploy unless the g forces are more than a prescribed limit, so apparently the collusion was not at anywhere close to 60Kmph - this should indicate that the braked did work. When the ABS does kick in you might tend to feel that the brakes have lost power momentarily- this is exactly how they should function as they release the brakes momentarily to prevent locking and then reapply them with full force.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Quoting myself from the definitive forum on the same topic. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Glad to see you are safe and sound, mate. The machine can be rebuilt no problems. Human life is more important.

Regarding the brakes, I am really not sure why you feel the braking is compromised on the Tjet. The Linea and Punto are renowned for it's braking. Did you have any previous issue with the brakes on your car. Also, do you clearly remember the point at which you slammed the brakes?

Have the car fixed and checked out mechanically. It is still one of the safest cars on the road in India.

Good luck!
    1 person likes this.
  8. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Thank God nothing happened to you and you are safe, i think the brakes played their role here otherwise the damage would have been much more there isn't much bending or breaking of the front portion you need to replace few parts like bumper, headlight assy, grill things will be back in shape. The reason behind could be stress levels i recommend you take a break and relax..
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Thank god nothing happened you and you are safe.

Linea Tjet has all 4 disc breaks with ABS + EBD so I wont doubt on braking capabilities of Tjet. No Never.
  10. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Very sad to know about the accident; At the same time very happy that all occupants are safe.

T-Jet has best breaking capabilities in its class or I would say 1 league above segments cars. As most of the members pointed out, breaks played vital role to avert the disaster otherwise damage could have been even more.

Regarding insurance claim, inform your insurance company and initiate claim. Also check with them, damages to Innova can be covered under third party settlement? I am not sure on this, but logically that should be case.

Take car to FASS and they will take care of your car. Good Luck!