1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TJet+ Acceleration Issue post 3rd Service

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by speedJet, Jun 19, 2014.

1. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    In the past 1 month, I have been facing acceleration issues in my TJet. After the 3rd service the issue became more prominent - at times the turbo kick was not felt and engine knocking was also felt. I have spent around 5-6 trips to FASS including almost 4-5 full days at FASS. FASS always suggests "Sir everything is fine, there is no error on examiner; you are unnecessarily concerned". I got spark plugs changed just to be sure that they were not causing any acceleration issue

Now today, cranking the car failed. After multiple tries the car started. I switched off the car after idling for a couple of minutes and again tried to crank it. The car started after 2-3 attempts and the EOBD failure light stayed on after ignition and the message "Check Engine" came on MID. The battery was changed just a few months back - so battery should not be an issue

Should I drive the car to FASS or call RSA for assistance (car is parked at my residence and I have not driven it since this light came on). I guess I shall have to wait till weekend if I have to take it to FASS - the Jet will rest till then

Various international forums seem to suggest that it could be some sensor/ECU/fuel pump/ignition coil/etc. My general experience with service centres in NCR is that they are "plug and play" centres. If the problem does not go away by replacing a component, FASS is generally clueless on what has to be done.

As part of 3rd service, all oils were changed. Not sure if while the oil was coming out it fell on some sensor and is causing an issue

I shall update the error codes shown on the examiner once I visit FASS and they connect the examiner. Any pointers on the solution or existing threads would be helpful.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    take your car to another FASS and see what their diagnosis is . Cars of today are complicated pieces of electronics. Its like going to a doctor . At the time of your visit your symptoms may just not exist, but may reappear at another time. It happens. Unless they see it on the examiner or feel it during test drive, they will be confused. Another alternative is to drive to FASS when you have the symptoms.

Abdul
  3. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Car has been to a couple of FASS already in past 3 weeks - answer is same from all of them "everything is fine"

Today morning the EOBD light has disappeared, also check engine message is no longer coming. However, I saw the idle RPM going down from 900 to 500 at times. Not sure if this is due to engine missing or something else

Talked with FASS today morning, they are suggesting to get battery checked. However battery was changed sometime back and I do not think it is battery
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    For battery draining get the ac relay checked as you say battery is new meaning something is draining the battery or your alternator is not providing enough amperage to charge your battery
    Drive with heavy foot for 20 kms revving to redline most of time and see if rpm drops if that does not help throttle body cleaning might help.
    get your car scanned and errors cleared and share what errors were stored in ecu memory as you said battery was drained those errors may be false reporting by sensors not getting enough power also ask Ass to check all earth cable connections especially the main cable on gearbox it should be clean rust free and tight.
    tjet being a turbocharged car were turbo hoses checked when you complained about power issues
    1 person likes this.
  5. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Thanks Vijay for your inputs. While coming back from office today I did not see the RPM dropping down on idle.
    I will drive with a heavy foot for 20 kms and see the difference. Turbo hoses have been checked manually in past couple of weeks and no error was shown on scanner. FASS is pretty reluctant to try anything - but I will visit them on the weekend and ask them to confirm the main cable on the gearbox to be clean and free of rust (not sure if some oil got spilled on the same during the 3rd service). Also, will get the battery checked.

During the 3rd service and spark plug change I noticed that the time stored in the car stopped (and was not reset) even while the negative terminal was removed for about half hour. I guess after the Blue and Me was changed under warranty, somehow the time is not getting erased when the negative terminal of the battery is disconnected
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Thats strange Time in MID should have got reset after disconnecting negative terminal even for 2 minutes.
    What about trip readings in MID were they intact too
  7. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Blue and Me pairing with my phone has remained intact. I do not remember clearly, but I think trip readings were intact.
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    BnMe pairing dont get reset after removing negative terminal the system kind of reboots which solve any problems in BnMe.
    try removing negative terminal for 2 mins again and see if it happens now too errors wont get deleted from memory so its safe to do it, if date doesnt get reset there is some electrical problem mostly earth connection
  9. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    ok, will try that out and update. It probably means that some wire somewhere (probably the negative lead) is touching the car chassis. Alternatively oil which was removed spilled over the sensor connections and is making this earth connection
  10. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Starting from cold today morning again saw "the RPM falling below normal levels at times". After driving for about 4 kms out of which about .5 kms was bumper to bumper traffic I reached the battery guy from whom I had got the battery replaced a few months back. By this time, the RPM levels had stabilised. He checked the battery. Following were readings:
    <> Without engine running: 13.2V
    <> With engine running: 14.2 V
    <> While cranking the engine: voltages dropped to around 10.2 V

Is the voltage level while cranking ok or it is too less? Will take the car for a long run tonight and again confirm tomorrow morning at cold start