1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tires:- Speed with the Kilometers running

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Ganges, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have done 40K Kms on my stock tires GT3, as tire have gone old i'm restricting my selves to do high speed driving and very much cautious on the uneven roads.am i doing the right thing to restrict the speed as tires have gone old :confused:

From safety point of view how should one look/think about the age of the tire and its adverse affects on the drive ?
    if the tire is new does it means that i can do high speed driving easily without any tensions(like tire burst:confused:) ?
    do we have any speed mantaining chart for the Kms done on the tires ?
  2. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It is a good practice to curtail high speed driving when tyres reach end of their life.

Even the new tyres should be allowed to be run-in,say till you complete 1000 Kms, to get the full potential of the tyre to unleash.
    1 person likes this.
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    The ideal age of a tyre should be 3 years from the manufacturing date (aging effect). Though you are using it or not.
    It's better to replace tyre after every 3 years whatever the kilometers you have driven.

Normally the tyre can run 40k Kms if the proper maintenance has been taken. like periodically allignment, rotation and any suspension related issues.

I have just now done wheel allignment for my ride & the person who did the allignment told me that I can use the tyres for another 10 to 15K.

Also the speeding needs to be restricted if the tyres are old as this can cause tyre bust on the speed of 80kmph or so. I have already experienced the same on the way to Bangalore in 2007 in my ford fiesta which was stationary for more than 6 months. I replaced the all four tyres at kolhapur.
    1 person likes this.
  4. nithin.v

nithin.v Amatore

What may be the optimum kms for wheel alignment.
  5. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Tyre shops recommend you to Balance, rotate and align your wheels every 5,000Kms.

I am following it strictly.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    The speed rating for a tyre is represented by an alphabet at the end of a combination of letters and numbers on the sidewall of the tyre

When the treads on a car’s tyres are worn, it’s time for a new set of tyres. Follow the car manufacturer’s recommendations while selecting the new tyres. If your vehicle has a ‘V’ tyre speed rating, it is capable of handling speeds of 240km/h, while a ‘U’ speed rating specifies maximum speed of 200km/h. So you need tyres that match you car’s performance.

Tyres are constructed with different treads, amounts of rubber, reinforced fabric or steel cords according to the performance parameters. Naturally, exceeding the tyre’s speed limit will put you and your car in hazardous straits, owing to the possibility of bursting or the tread peeling off. Drive according to the speed rating of you car’s tyres.

Ascertain the top speed of your vehicle from the manufacturer’s manual or test reports in auto journals before selecting the tyres. Tyres with a speed rating higher than that of your vehicle’s top speed are the safe bet.

Here is a tyre speed rating chart to help you choose the perfect set of tyres:

Code km/h Code km/h
    A1 5 L 120
    A2 10 M 130
    A3 15 N 140
    A4 20 P 150
    A5 25 Q 160
    A6 30 R 170
    A7 35 S 180
    A8 40 T 190
    B 50 U 200
    C 60 H 210
    D 65 V 240
    E 70 Z Over 240
    F 80 W 270
    G 90 (W) Over 270
    J 100 Y 300
    K 110 (Y) Over 300
    3 people like this.
  7. amargawade90

amargawade90 Superiore

Whaat ???? :-o We driven Our ZEN on stock tyre (BridgeStone ) almost 8 years .....and We never faced any problem(from tyre) at speed 120 km/hr....... ( Except Handling etc.)
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    amar 8 years thats too much man....
    Now tell me the truth :D
  9. amargawade90

amargawade90 Superiore

Its truth mate..we never changed tyre at all...we sold car on OEM/stock tyre..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
  10. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    That's really out of the box AMAR.... :eek:

Amar you did 30K kms in 8 years means your cars daily drive might not more than 300kms for a month. in that also you said you are able to reach 120kmph? That's really amazing....

When did you drove your zen last for 120kmph? for how long?

Anyways you are the exception but really one can not use tyres after 3 years from mfg date. Its advisable.

But for some exceptions like Amar who can use tyres last long :)

Amar please stay connected with the person to whom you sold your zen and how he feels about the tyres too???? And let us know...
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012