1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tire burst or blowouts

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, May 28, 2013.

1. I don't think you read the last two lines in the article dude.:)
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    My brother used to work for a tyre factory and now heads a car parts manufacturing unit, he mentioned that OEM tyres and after market tyres the rubber thickness varies.

OEM have less rubber and hence usually doesn't provide longer life as compared to after market tyers. :eek:
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Oh ya, I did not. As soon as I started reading the article my mind started having this deja vu :)
    Anyways its a very good article and very worthy to be shared
  4. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks for sharing this Sat-Chit-ananda, very informative.

Have a question: We set the Tyre pressure to Manufacturer recommended before the start of a long highway drive on hot day, and after couple of hours of drive when we check it will be typically high, once I found that it was close to 8 PSI more (however I do not know if the scales are faulty), in this case is it recommended to deflate the tyre to bring it back to recommended pressure if we are going to further driver long?
  5. No not at all, you need to have tire pressure gauge and test it when the car/tire is totally cooled off may take about 2-4 hours.What manufacturer specifies is the cold air pressure not the ho air pressure after a couple of hours of drive.
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  6. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    I had the same answer when my friend asked me, but he said that he was told by a SA to maintain the PSI close to Manufacturer recommended in this case, as the further drive on the hot day is going increase the pressure when the tire gets further hot and the risk of blow out is high.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The maximum pressure number indicated has nothing to do with a Tyre's burst pressure. The maximum pressure and maximum load numbers indicate the pressure at which the Tyre will carry the maximum amount of weight. A new, quality Tyre will not pop even at multiples of the maximum pressure. But hitting a big pothole at super-high pressures may cause a failure.

The danger behind checking and adjusting Tyre pressure immediately after a long drive is this - Since the Tyre is hot and will indicate a higher pressure than reality, it is most likely to get under inflated. Imagine you drove for a couple of hundred kilometres and pulled over for refuel and food. The preferred sequence should be to have the food first and then refuel and check Tyre pressure. This would give the Tyres some time to cool down. If you refuel and check Tyre pressure first, then in all probabilities, the Tyre will have 3-4 PSI less than what was indicated when you filled up, after you finish your food. You gave the Tyre time to cool down after pumping up. This is the most likely scenario for blow out. Bad roads, poor quality / worn out Tyres and inaccurate display in the fuel station's air pumps increase the risk dramatically.

Most important thing to remember - An under-inflated Tyre is much more likely to blow out than an over-inflated Tyre.

Rajan
  8. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    There is no such thing as Oem tyres and aftermarket tyres as the tyres you're getting with a new car are not manufactured by the car-maker.
    Incase I am buying the same brand and size of tyres after the OEMs wear out, whats the difference between OEM and aftermarket in tyres. Theres no difference.
    I got goodyear 205/55 16R from Fiat. What if I buy the same after the OEM tyres wear out.

Yes, there is difference in rubber thickness, but between brands, ranges, models, variants, etc.
  9. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    When i meant OEM tyres = fitted in factory.
    anyways, i was told that As such items constitute as prone to wear and tear and are rate contracted for certain years....to make certain margins manufacturers use different build.

But again i am not sure if we have technology to measure the tyres sold in shops versus fitted in factory. If we do have then it will be interesting to find how these two fare. Anyone?
  10. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    I get what you're trying to say but I'll beg to differ. This is just a myth my friend.