1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tips for your Turbocharger

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Italia-Linea, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @Italia-Linea & guruji, really nice points...@Italia, as per my experiance i'll say if you are driving in city with heavy bumper to bumper traffic change your oil with the help of visual inspection. As soon as you'll find out your engine oil is black & smells pretty much like brunt carbon change it! In my case my oil was looking totally black like tar at only 6500kms. Our driving conditions matter a lot! As our cars are diesel cars its normal that oil mostly looks black in color(guys correct me if m wrong) but if it smells like burned then you better change oil & filter.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    ^^ yes tron you are correct. the engine oil on diesel cars immediately turn black as they have a high detergent content and they flush a lot of carbon within. but the problem is it will also smell burnt immediately. so its hard to make out from smell, but yes it was good that u changed the oil at 6500kms.
  3. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    Cost of an ECU is around 18 to 20K depending on the model that you are purchasing (linea or Punto) and the cost of the turbo should start at 50k for the FGT. Technically the turbos can be fitted from tata as both share the same engine layout but its not advisable as the state of tune of both the turbos would be different due to the fact that its ECU which controls the turbocharge which would be different in different cars. Hence don't even try to interchange the turbo with either a Maruti or Tata.
  4. some one said that palio mjd and punto had the same turbo.
    previously, the turbo was imported from italy and costed approximately 50k,
    but now being made in india it might cost a little over 10 grand
  5. @ Italia-Linea..

Good Post but after almost 2 years of driving a Fiat, I feel that I missed out on all the basics.

Now the problem I face is the pipe going to the turbo having a leak due to which pick up has decreased and sudden rev sees lots of black smoke coming out from the exhaust...... :(
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I think u meant to write turbocharger.

If yes, then i'm afraid to say your comment is not correct. The ECU does not control the turbo i.e the normal fixed geometry one. Rather it's the turbo which acts as a Godfather :) and commands the ECU to act as per the turbo's actions.

Cheers.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    why dont you immediately replace this pipe? this may prove fatal to the turbo. dont even drive with the leakage.
  8. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    what cud be the price the Punto Fire ECU. is it the same as MJD?
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Interesting querry in my mind.

No doubt that Turbo gives extra boot & MAP sensor takes note of this extra boost and then MAP sensor gives signal to ECU to maximse fuel supply and then ECU gives signal to injectors. Right ?

But first of all we press throttle. Then throttle gives signal to ECU then ECU maximse the fuel supply by giving command to injectors. Right ?

So who keeps control on ECU ? Turbo or Throttle sensor ?

" Pahale Murgi Ya Anda " ?
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Pehle KFC! Yummy.