1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tips for your Turbocharger

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Italia-Linea, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    I have seen lot of burnt and blowed turbo chargers.
    There are various reasons for a turbocharger failure some of which i am listing.

1. Clogged Air filter
    2. Clogged turbo oil lines.
    3. Engine oil degradation
    4. Incorrect functioning of turbo waste gate
    5. Any sort of leak in the plumbing between turbo and engine
    6. Increased back pressure due to damaged/clogged catcon or blocked exhaust.
    and many more....

Now coming back to the topic below are some vital tips to safeguard your turbocharger and prolong its life.

1. Even though the manual doesnt say idling is required, instead it says start driving as soon as engine is started - funny isnt it, but its obvious for a compliance of euro IV norms.
    But this is a common sense and it will cause most of the damage to your engine and turbo as 90% of wear occurs when your engine is cold.
    Let your engine idle for 1 minute and let the oil pump establish a oil film on all the moving components before you stress them.
    The oil capilaries in the turbo will gradually fill after idling and form a oil film before the turbo starts moving.

2. When shutting down the engine again let it idle for a minute. this allows the turbo which is revolving at 1 lac rpms to spin and cool down before the oil pressure drops down suddenly.
    If you shut down the engine immediately the oil pressure drops immediately and the very hot turbo keeps spinning and burns the oil , which is called as oil cooking which happens in the end of centre housing of the turbo.

3. Make sure your airfilter is clean. mostly stay away from high Free Flow filters which dont have good filteration qualities. Paper filters are the best in filteration.
    Imagine a grit particle which bypassed the airfilter and hit the turbo blade that is rotating at 1lac rpms. its like hitting a bullet on a fragile material.
    This causes pitting and damage to the turbocharger impeller.

4. Cut your factory oil change intervals to half. The Euro IV engines run very hot as they have to comply to the emmission norms and the hot engines break down oil a lot quicker.
    Second reason is the modern oils have high amount of detergents to keep engine cleaner. so you see that the diesel engine oil quickly gets brown and then black as it cleans all the carbon. this carbon laden oil is not good for the turbo.
    In city stop and go traffic the engine runs a lot hotter than normal and causes quick degradation of the oil.
    Regular oil change and most important is the oil filter too is very much needed.
    I would suggest the max of 8000 kms on our fiats running in Indian abused conditions.

Turbo chargers are boon to a modern engine and they last long if taken good care of.

Cheers, Happy Turboing :traffic
    2 people like this.
  2. Thank you for sharing this info. I have got mixed response for almost all the points above. As you have rightly pointed, User manual says to start off but keep the engine at low revs till the temperature guage starts to move.

Shutting down engine : Since i was used to petrol, i still tend to turn it off when i reach home without waiting most of the times. I am learning it but waiting for 60 seconds seems like a decade, usually would wait for 20-30 seconds. Secondly i am keeping the vehicle out of turbo range when i am near to home and drive it this way for 1 km or so.

Filters and engine oil change - i am using stock filter only. Even with paper filters i have seen lot of dust in the air filter holding compartment. After hearing to lot of gurus here got the engine oil and airfilter changed at 9500 kms.[Fuel filter is not changed]

After running for a 1000 kms, i opened the airfilter and find some dust on the filter holding compartment.
  3. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Thanks Chetan, which side do you see the dust in the compartment?Side above the airfitler will be very dusty and its but obvious that there will be very very fine dust even under the filter. but then other type of filters make it worst.

Temp guage moving will take atleast 400-500 mts when cold started. but when you start the engine the oil takes a while to fill in all the gaps between moving metals.

Did you see the condition of the oil when changed at 9500kms? when i got it changed for the first time at around 8000kms the oil filter condition was bad.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune
  6. I see the dust below the filter, small sand grains.
    Oil, i asked the mechanic to see if it has life in it. He touched it and said NO !!
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    sand grains is very scary!! how did sand reach the filter? can you check the side moulding of the filter. make sure there is no leak from there. the paper filter in now way allow sand grains to go in. not even a bad filter shall allow sand grains.
  8. Gurjinder, those were good points. Thank you
  9. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    any idea whats the price of a turbocharger and a ECU ?

can a maruti or tata turbocharger be fitted into a Punto.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Wrong thread to ask, but i reckon both would set you back by around 60-70k atleast. Not sure.

Even if they fit, we should only use components recommended by FIAT. Especially something as critical as a turbo.