1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

TIPS FOR DRIVING

Discussion in 'Avventura 1.3 90 HP' started by Subhendusc, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Subhendusc

Subhendusc Amatore

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I am planning to drive my new Avventura to Bhutan in April from Kolkata
    I have driven a lot in the plains - infact 800 - 1000 km/day in highways.

This will be my first visit in the terrains and mountains.
    I need tips on Mountain driving
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  2. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Not at all. They are gentle ghat roads. The road from Phuentsholing to Paro/Thimphu are not like Ladakh roads. They are far better than Ladakh roads. Your Avventura can easily tackle them. :) There may be some bad/rough stretches and landslides en route; drive carefully, if you encounter any one of them. However, the road from Thimphu to Punakha had more bad stretches comparatively. But, my erstwhile Linea easily tackled them too! Of course, now those roads must have improved a lot.

Bon voyage.
    rkperumala1 likes this.
  3. Subhendusc

Subhendusc Amatore

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    J Ravi likes this.
  4. Subhendusc

Subhendusc Amatore

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Any one driven from Kolkata to siliguri recently in last 1-2 months?
  5. Subhendusc

Subhendusc Amatore

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I got my car serviced today - First service @61200 km.

I crossed the 5000 km mark in 5 months only. No problem with the km.

My AC filter was changed. I was charged Rs 250/- + other miscellaneous materials Rs 100.

GOT MY REVERSE PARKING SENSORS FIXED.

But I was disappointed as I hoped something like Eco Sport to happen where in the console it shows which sensor is closer to the obstacle. Nothing here - only beep sound.
    rkperumala1 likes this.
  6. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    I received this card on my recent visit to FASC.
    The one that caught my attention most is the advice not to drive with the left hand rested on the gear lever on manual cars. I see this to be a common practice for many (thankfully, I don't have this habit).

IMG_20160512_083846.jpg
    IMG_20160512_083903.jpg

Cheers,
    Pradeep.

PS : Iam posting this info here as the thread title says " Tips for driving", so adding this information here which is in general.
    Turbothinghy, Subhendusc and KPR like this.
  7. Subhendusc

Subhendusc Amatore

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @PradeepM I do have that bad habit. I will try to change it from today. Basically this habit comes from driving in the city where you have to continuously shift gears.
    Turbothinghy and PradeepM like this.
  8. Giridhar

Giridhar Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I would like to add some cents to the tips. especially when on highways.
    - Watch for blind spot. Side mirrors do not cover the blindspot. Watch for it, since it would be very helpful in switching the lanes that too when we are in high speed.
    - Always use indicators in switching the lane even in the city (even when it does not make sense to other drivers). Making this as an habit, gives you a self credit for being a good driver or defensive driver
    - Keep the mobile phone away from your reach. It will help you from getting distracted. Since we have blue and me, we can always answer our phones and listen to text message (which i feel is available only for iphone :( ). But best part is our eyes is always on the road
    - Keep safe distance from Long trailers. Do not follow them or get caught up between the trailers. They need more time to come to halt and it may be dangerous to get smashed.
    PradeepM likes this.
  9. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Subhendusc Even I had that habit of keeping hand long back. Anyway we should put linea's driver arm rest to give comfort to your left hand and to avoid placing in lever ;). A new expense to add !
    PradeepM likes this.
  10. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    First of all, every driver must understand the purpose of ORVMs and use them, instead of keeping them folded shut. If you are using it read on.

@Giridhar, since you mentioned Blind Spots, I couldn't resist mentioning about a thread on this forum that elaborately explains this. I am sure one can search for it (I am too lazy). I am giving the gist of it here (all credit to the first poster):

-- The ORVM are to be set to 'extreme out' position - contrary to the usual manner in which part of the vehicle's tail is visible.
    -- The IRVM must be used to observe the rear view and ORVM for the side view.
    -- After setting the ORVMs, ask a someone to walk around the car and you sitting in driver's seat should be able to see that person all
    the time (in the 3 mirrors or through side windows). If not, adjust the ORVMs suitably.

I am following this setting for past 2 years. ORVMs cover both sides and bind-spots well. If found useful, share it with others.
    KPR, Subhendusc and Giridhar like this.