1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing/Crank shaft issues in Fiat Palio 2004

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Prabal Krishna, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Prabal Krishna

Prabal Krishna Timido

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Hi,
    I have a Fiat Palio 1.2 NV Sports (petrol) from 2004 which has been having timing gear/crank shaft related issues of late. It first showed up in Dec 2014 when the car suddenly died on me (at about 97K kms). The Fiat service folks first changed the Driving Gear and Water Pump and within a month, the Driver Pulley and the Driving Gear once again. In about 4 months, the car was back at the shop and they again replaced the timing gear. At that time they said the crank shaft may need to be replaced because the crank shaft gear grove is broken. Now I have done 107K kms and my car is again not pulling from 1st gear until I rev up the engine over 4000 RPMs to get it to move.

It it worth replacing the crank shaft now? Will it continue to have reliability issues even after the repair?

Thanks!
  2. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
  4. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The present problem you face is that the car doesn't pull till you revv the engine to 4000 rpm in first gear. In my humble opinion, if there is any serious damage with the crankshaft, then, the vehicle will not at all move, irrespective of the rpm of the engine. Moreover, any portion of the crankshaft is coming apart, you'd have blown your engine when you revv @4000 rpm for the first time itself. If your vehicle moves @4000 rpm and after that you can drive the car around in higher gears, then, the problem should lie with the transmission (clutch/gearbox) - mostly the issues will be with the clutch engagement. Since it appears to me, you have spent a lot on your vehicle by changing engine/transmission parts, I would suggest you to get to the root of the problem and settle it once and for all. I would start by first discounting engine related problems by removing the gear box and by checking the flywheel rotation (after decompressing the engine cylinders)- If it is can rotate freely without any trouble/noise, then, the problem lies with the transmission.
  5. Prabal Krishna

Prabal Krishna Timido

Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Thanks Pasupathy for your reply. Previous times, the car was not even starting. Only this time around, I had this problem of it not picking up speed. Even after revving to 4K RPM, I could not move beyond 20-30 kmph. This time Vecto Motors in Singasandra, Bangalore have replaced the timing chain and are assuring me that the issue is fixed for good. (The shop where it went for previous repairs is closed permanently). I've driven around 300 kms since fixing the timing chain.

It would be great if someone knowledgeable from Fiat would comment on my situation. I've uploaded the bills from Fiat Service.

Attached Files: