1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Got my timing chain changed as my car completed 63500 kms. According to the TASS more than the chain the pads (plastic) wear out thus causing the play in the chain.Although the TASS guy said that the chain can still go on but I got it changed as u dont know extended warranty can be denied for a simple small reason .I saw a Linea petrol getting the engine Head changed at 80000 kms at a whooping cost of RS. 40000 .The extended warranty was denied to him as he didn't get the chain changed according to schedule.I dont know why the guy didn't fight as Fiat confirmed the change schedule to the dealers in June 2012.

Now the engine idle better but I dont find much difference in the engine noise (as VIJAY put his engine noise reduced by 50%) and also no difference in the FE.I think timing chain issues wiould have its effects in lower gears and less in higher gears unless and until its complete worn out or pads are gone.After the change the lag has reduced in lower gears but still have to test for results (+ or -)also got the EGR cleant as it was full of carbon and sludge.They have to open the EGR to clean it completely.May be the EGR change helped the lag go away.

Total cost Rs. 9600 with including coolant change(rs. 1600), EGr cleaning (Rs.1200 only labour) and rest chain change parts and labour for the chain change labour (Rs. 1800).

will update the results in a weeks time.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The petrols have belts. :)
  3. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Wow,this is news.
    I got it replaced to 2012 design of timing chain in April free of cost(***grins from ear to ear),at 65K kms,under recall;)
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    correction its belt for petrol.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

How's that possible?what is the year of manufacture of your car?
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  5. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    That's why I insisted to replace Timing Belt in my Linea at 60K kms service even though TASC said there is no need and it can go on. Of course, I paid for it and the larger labour charges.
  6. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I feel now the car's performance has improved.No lag in lower gears and even with AC on.Along with Timing chain replacement my Turbo also got replaced and also I got the EGR cleant.
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

What makes you think,that it isnt possible:eek:
    My Car is a early 2010,and i had provided VIN number to TASS guys and they confirmed,that timing belt needs to be upgraded.
    I got it replaced,though i had to pay for the sealent,and timing chain guide\stays.
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3

I mean that's great that u got it done with no labour cost.

I was told by only one TASS regarding timing chain being in extended warranty but it doesn't cover the labour (Rs. 5000 ), pads (Rs. 1200 odd) and sealant cost since its needs to be replaced at 60000 kms.All other TASS I (atleast 5 o)contacted said u have to pay for everything and no EW.Since i was getting my TURBO done in EW I got the chain changed with same TASS paying only Rs. 1800 as labour.My total cost Rs. 6000 for chain change and others were quoting Rs. 10000 -12000.Thought of paying for the chain as it didn't make nay sense to wait for another 2-3 days for the EW confirmation.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    That would be due to either timing chain or EGR cleaning as turbo doesn't have much role to play in lower rpm band. Me too felt huge improvement in low end grunt after timing chain replacement.

A turbo hose has gone faulty after change of timing chain.(When the engine mounting was moved it caused engine to come down a little causing damage of steel wire of the hose).Even in brand new cars this hose has a very sharp bend causing restriction checked it in yet to be delivered Linea, still finding it's replacement aftermarket not satisfied with rigidness of fiat oem hose. It was creating a feel like two turbo kicks first one at 2000 rpm and another one around 3500 rpm with black smoke from exhaust. Same hose as shown by Magnanimousdude in this post. Hopefully should get better hose by tomorrow with more rigid steel wires that keeps the hose in complete circle shape instead of oval as it is now for longer period.
    Turbo Hose Picture
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3

According to TASS the lag problem in the lower gears are related to Turbo and not Timing chain.since its a VGT it kicks in at lower RPM also as soon as air intake start
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012