1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I will take up the matter with Fiat regarding wrong information by TASS with regard to the Timing Chain change period inspite of me repeatedly inquiring with them.This is height of being ignorant about there own job.Why should I take the liability.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. scottzinne

scottzinne Timido

Gwalior
    Hye guys today i went for timing chain issue at Gwalior. As my Line is April 2009 mjd. As usual they don't have any such clues.Work Manager said some lineas have this probem, but those VIN no. are provided by company. I should him the print out of Service bulletien which is upload, by Vijay Khasa ( thanks for it ). Work manager was surprized by seeing it. As they are stil following july 2011 service bulletin. He took that print out & said me he wil call back in 2 -3 days.

By the way My linea is getting suspension upgrade. As i was planning for Leh trip by this Sept/Oct so needed it. will post reviews of respective forum head. Most probably tomorrow i will get my Linea back from service centre.
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Fiat cant escape the warranty giving 60000 kms Service bulletin.This Service bulletin is for the dealers and we depend on dealers for the info.If they dont provide us the info notice is null and void.
  4. nsraj

nsraj

Hi All

This is my first post and I guess posting it at right place.

I recently completed my 60K (actually 58100) service for my GP 1.3 MJD E+ (75HP), and I was told that timing chain needs to be changed as per the notification from FIAT @ 60K, due to time constraint I informed SA that I'll come back @ 60K for replacement (AFAIK I do not have any problem / noise from Engine area). After deliver I wrote a mail (sent few queries) to Fiat Customer Care regarding Timing Chain and below is the reply as received...

---
    We wish to clarify your below mail and the service schedule communicated by Manufacturer-Fiat as on today.

1) Whether GP MJD has timing chain or Belt? – Timing chain

2) If it is chain why there is no mention about the same in user manual, instead it says 'belt'? No replacement suggested ,hence not mentioned.

3) What is the frequency of change / replacement? – No replacement suggested for timing chain , but only for petrol model, timing belt to be replaced at every 60 k
    4) Is there any recent circular from FIAT regarding replacement of Timing Chain / Belt @ 60000KM for GP MJD (75HP) also? If yes is it covered under extended warranty?- No recent circular
    Hope your queries are clarified. Thanking you and wish you a happy motoring.

Regards,

Rajesh Kumar H
    Fiat Customer support
    Tata motor limited-Bangalore.

I guess this will be helpful to all....

Pl correct me if anything wrong / fishy
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @nsraj - Welcome to TFI.

I think whatever reply you got seems to be sensible. From what we see in the circular, no replacement is suggested for 75hp versions.
  6. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3

Even I confirm with Wasan Motors , Bombay and its conformed that u have to change the chain at 60000 kms according to the Fiat circular its not covered in the extended warranty.

Strange i was quoted 5000 for the material including chain and another 5500 for labour.why so much difference.
  7. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

My punto 75hp has been facing a weird engine and some vibration... no mileage drop.. but at times feel the car to be heavy..showed it to TASS.. they said.. the timing chain has to be replaced.. its out of stock at the moment.. informed they will source the item and give me a call.. and said its covered in warranty and is a days work.. dint mention what the cost would be...
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I dont think timing Chain will cause heavy feeling but u can still get it changed since ur car is in warranty.Just check the troubleshooting down

Troubleshoot a diesel engine
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
  9. nsraj

nsraj

When I enquired about cost of replacement for timing chain its approx 9000 including labour, but do not have breakup....
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    wil check with other service station
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012