1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Man, that's a huge amount to change the timing chain costing only Rs. 980.I spoke to CS in TASS about six months back about changing the Timing chain he said after 100000 Kms and only inspection after 60000 Km and now he tells me that Fiat u have to change the chain after 60000 Kms, the labour charges of 4000 and total of Rs. 5000. He pointed that charges are are high for Fiat.What they do that they charge Rs. 4000 labor.A clutch change that involves lot of work labor is only Rs 2500, suspension Rs. 1400.

Thats Day light robbery by Fiat.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Simply blasting Fiat for the labor charge without comparing with others is not at all Fair. To my knowledge, changing timing belt/chain in a Turbo car is much complicated than doing in an NA engine. I am not surprised at the labor cost quoted.

Just for the record, get to know that the Timing belt for SX4 costs Rs. 1,243.00 as against the Rs. 980 for Timing chain for Fiat.
    2 people like this.
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    But timing belt replacement for sx4 is after 100000 Kms. Moreover TASS guy told me that they also have to check oil pump and if that bad then total cost Rs. 12000.
    Now spoke to Tata Service station , worli, Mumbai.He says u have to change chain only if its making kr kr noise otherwise no and it can be done under extended warranty.I dont know whom to trust.still have taken the appointment there, lets see.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    That is what is being discussed here Varin. Changing the Timing chain at 60k is definitely not a good news.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Yup only the chain was changed if anything else turns out bad it is covered under standard warranty/extended warranty.

This Service Bulletin was released on 23rd June so the dealer was right in saying it doesn't need to be changed then. Even I was not told about changing chain in 60k service 3-4 months back. Even I was suspecting Fiat decision of changing chain so early but the change that this change have brought demolished any suspicion my brain had.
    As stated in Bulletin if chain breaks after 60k kms now Fiat would wash its hands saying that it had to be changed in 60k service.
    It's a very complicated job if not done properly customer would be in mess. They have to remove Battery, Battery Support/Drip Tray, Engine Coolant,Move PS Oil Container in side, Engine Oil and Filter, Air Filter Assembly, Cold Air Intake for Air Filter, Right Front Wheel, Engine Dust Cover, Underbody Protection Place, Single Engine Belt(Alt, AC, PS), Crankshaft Pulley, Gearbox/Engine Coupling Bracket, Oil Sump, Timing Chain Cover, Pulley, Sprocket, Tensioner. And a lot of pipes and wires. Add to that they have to spare their most experienced mechanic for a day only for your car and other cars that come for serious problem have to wait till next day. Utmost care have to be taken while putting new chain and aligning timings marks properly. Also the car is on lift for complete one day. Now imagine if they Service even 4 cars on one lift per day they are making a loss of 800*4 = 3200
    About Maruti not advising it, I guess hardly any SX4 or Ertiga which uses VGT MJD would have reached above 60k till now Even if Maruti advises change we probably wouldn't get to know about it as their owners aren't much active on forums. How many ownerships reports have you seen of SX4 Petrol + Diesel Combo online. Even Fiat Linea Petrol alone ownerships reports would outweigh combo SX4 Petrol + Diesel reports.
    Swift have had many issues with Oil Cooler, Pistons breaking without any reason and many Turbo failures over years but the owners don't put it on forums.
    2 people like this.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I'm sure TASS would've had their reasons but new chain + old sprockets (the Multijet's cam and crank gears are basically sprockets only) dont mix well in the long run. Better to spend the extra $$$ and put the entire new timing chain kit in.

My 2 cents.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    I have done what Fiat recommended, if anything goes wrong now it's Fiat headache so why spend extra. Full Kit would have costed above 10k (verbal quotation) with labor.
    If my car would have been out of warranty full kit would have gone in instead of chain only.
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I Was given wrong info by the TASS adviser although I asked him repeatedly regarding the chain change.Have completed 63000 kms and car is under extended warranty.You really need a experience mechanic to perform the change process (complicated as explained by VIJAY and painful if not performed well). Will have to do good homework with regard to finding a credible TASS before getting the work done.
  9. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    so is it possible to convince the SA that my linea having timing chain problem and change it with warranty?

since i found my linea was making more clatter when compared to Ramjn's silent car.

mine just crossed 50k.
  10. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    OT - Now I understand why diesel cars are normally sold off :bye :redcar before 60K ... will become a real headache :A in case anything goes wrong during complex replacements.