1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    5k was too little actually it was like laddu charawnga exam me pass kar do. I got so relieved to hear that other 75hps running without timing kit change. There was few 75hps who had failures. But I still think for short distances and city run cars 7.5k km oil change interval is good. Btw Pradeep what kind of noises did you hear when timing chain gave up? Were there any other symptoms apart from chain noise?
  2. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In morning during cold start I was able to listen a metal rubbing sound for few seconds and read alot about the timing chain issue, I compared sound with a you tube video..and felt similar sound in my car so got that change as a precaution.
    PradeepM likes this.
  3. anilwithu

anilwithu Novizio

Chennai,Vijayawada,Hyderabad
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is completely depend on the oil which you use.FIAT service use Synthetic oil so 13-15k kms no issue. But if u see the cost of car service its 10,000 /-. So some times for only oil change , i will purchase oil and oil filter outside. I have used semi synthetic about 8k kms.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 23, 2015 ---
    Yesterday i was travelling from vja - chennai , i have noticed again the chain drag sound in first and second gear. In last service itself they changed timing kit,but still the issue is there. I have raised a complaint against this to Fiat.
    PradeepM likes this.
  4. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    My MJD 1.3 (not a 90 bhp) punto has done 65 K and going for service next week. I hear metal clatter at cold starts and disappears in few mins..SA is of the opinion of a timing chain replacement.

Can somebody please post the approximate cost of just the timing chain replacement?
    The SA was saying that he needs to check water pump and if it requires replacement i have to do that also. Is water pump replacement a part of timing chain change ?

Thanks in advance for the answers.
  5. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Sandeep,

Timing chain replacement would cost approximately 10k including the kit and the labour.
    Water pump replacement is not a part of scheduled change. What is the reason they have given for a possible water pump replacement.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  6. anilwithu

anilwithu Novizio

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi ,

Yday i have visited ramkay fiat .. and was given some dumb comments.
    1.With tyre change to 205/55 r15 the front shock sound is coming
    2. For engine sound dey clearly said its not related to timing kit and told some story from inside head it might be coming(hydralic tappet,injectors, conecting rod etc.).
    And dey told at 65k service not replaced timing kit tats y the engine is getting sound. I was shocked to hear with their theories. I said .. i ll come bak to u with the main reason and you guys dont hav good technical stuff engineers.Any way my sat day screwed .

While testing mechanic scrached the car ... i felt bad. Anyway i felt fiat engines are vorse in fiat cars.
  7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    My 90 hp in March'15 manufactured :wideyed: How to check the engine number?
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I checked my 90 HP's engine number which is manufactured in March'15. The engine number is 575268 which is after 574788. This means my car also comes with the new timing chain? @vIjAy_kHaSa
    KPR likes this.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  10. anilwithu

anilwithu Novizio

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi vijay_khasa .. how is ur linea doing .. i think it crossed 1.5 lk kms .. how is the pickup n turbo kick.. milege ..