1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Kunal Gosavi

Kunal Gosavi Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Hi,

I was travelling to Mumbai from Pune and suddenly my car stopped on Express Highway near Panvel. I called nearest service center and they took my car to the service center and told me that Timing Chain is broken and need to replace it costing around 15k. I said ok.
    Next day they said that the chain is fixed but engine still have noise and need to done Engine overall which will cost you around 1.5 LACK. I was so shocked coz I used my car so leniently and clean and within 71000 kms I need to spend 1.5 L for no reason.
    I am so confused, Please help me.
    I am in Pune(Chinchwad).
  2. Abhinav Sharma

Abhinav Sharma Novizio

Nagpur
    Nagpur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Kunal

Its really concern, however pls share the model of ur car with ODO and 75/90hp?
    And also share the speed at which you running that time.
    UOTE="Kunal Gosavi, post: 841944556, member: 15041"]Hi,

I was travelling to Mumbai from Pune and suddenly my car stopped on Express Highway near Panvel. I called nearest service center and they took my car to the service center and told me that Timing Chain is broken and need to replace it costing around 15k. I said ok.
    Next day they said that the chain is fixed but engine still have noise and need to done Engine overall which will cost you around 1.5 LACK. I was so shocked coz I used my car so leniently and clean and within 71000 kms I need to spend 1.5 L for no reason.
    I am so confused, Please help me.
    I am in Pune(Chinchwad).[/QUOTE]
    Hi
  3. Kunal Gosavi

Kunal Gosavi Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Linea Emotion 1.4 diesel 2010 with 71000 kms 90bhp
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    You mean 1.3 diesel.

Why was the timing chain not changed during 60k service? Fiat had instructed all service centres to change the timing chain compulsorily at 60k for Linea diesels.

Given the chain was not changed in your car for whatever reason, it was always at risk and it is quite normal for engine head to suffer extensive damage if chain snaps while running.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  5. Abhinav Sharma

Abhinav Sharma Novizio

Nagpur
    Nagpur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 1, 2015 ---
    Yes I agreed with Shams as for 90 bhp its very much important as engine gives more power in same cc. And please share does engine noise unbareable I meant you can't drive your car or its slightly higher thn normal.
  6. Kunal Gosavi

Kunal Gosavi Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    If I'm not wrong the engine should make so much noise if the timing chain is going to break but it was not the case with me.
    And I accept I did not change the chain but this is not expected from FIAT. Worlds best brand and breaking timing chain just over 10k kms?? one of my friends fiesta is still running fine at 1,42,000 kms. What to say?
  7. Abhinav Sharma

Abhinav Sharma Novizio

Nagpur
    Nagpur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Kunal what's the current status of engine noise? Have you checked by ur own and after chain change whts the other problem you r facing other than noise.
  8. Kunal Gosavi

Kunal Gosavi Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.4
    Lot of Tuk Tuk noise from engine compartment which is not bearable. I had a word with mechanic he told me that he has ford Ikon, he heard noise at 1,58,000 kms from engine compartment and at 1,90,000 kms he got check through service center and they said there is defect in timing chain. He only changed timing chain and everything is working fine. Current running is 2,50,000 kms.
  9. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    ^ yes Fiat car are bad in time chain better you would have changed at 60k and as you told of engine noise there may be need of changing the engine components,before going ahead take one more opinion from other friendly mechanic because the Fass are notorious
    In making quick buck and are big liars when it come for out of warranty service.
    We have old dezire Zdi and it has crossed 110 and still going strong with out any issues and no sight of time chain issues more over MS has done good job in matching the power to wait ratio and keeping 10k service interval.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    @kunal, noise from faulty timing chain comes at cold starts and is very easy to miss, especially with music playing.

Probably there was some problem with the part due to which FASS were told to change it at 60k as a preventive measure.

Now that it has happened, and hoping that you were not informed by FASS about it, request Fiat mentioning the same. If your service history is intact Fiat should give some discount on the repair work. The estimate given is mostly on higher side. It may not cost that much in the end.