1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @pradeepsangwan

Did you replace the sprocket also when the timing chain was replaced. If not then might be the sprocket has worn out resulting in damage on the chain . I suppose the chain might be be getting oil through some nozzle please check whether or not it might be blocked.
    As for the warranty it depends on Fiat Terms and Condition when you bought the car and also on the spare parts if done from FASS
    pradeepsangwan likes this.
  2. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I haven't left any thing which needs to be replaced to save money, I got complete timing chain set replaced.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How old is your battery? Are you pointing to the engine cranking sound.
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @pradeepsangwan

Did the Service station guys cleaned the oil nozzel when they replaced the chain.If all was done to satisfaction then better to get hold of the service guys who did this and if they say that the timing chain has really worn then please ensure that Fiat India get to know your plight and also please write the details on this forum also some people might be of your help.

1 imp thing please make sure that they inspect and open the timing chain assembly in front of you and do click the sequential pictures for the record.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @KKAUL
    Normally we don't understand how things work and hence we can't give advise, have to rely on service centre.if the work have not been done as per requirement then why customer on a ride .Few service centres won't allow to stand in staging area.
    Will keep a note of nozzle spray cleaning when I come across TMC replacement.
  6. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ganges

Ignorance is a Curse that is a proven fact. But it is ourselves how we treat the ignorance.

Approach 1: We sit in customer lounge and enjoy the Television or read news paper coz we are ignorant and damn can't do anything.
    Approach 2: Stand in the bay area and watch the mechanic doing the job. The method and diligence of the mechanic will let you know the the type and quality of service you will get even if you are ignorant but my friend you have to stand for nearly 4 to 5 sweet hours.

Standing in Bay area: No force can stop you from watching what they are doing with your car till you are adamant (be polite and take mechanic into confidence not the adviser) that you want it to be done in front of you.I have faced this problem with all the brand Workshops not only Fiat but now they allow me free because they know my nature.
    It is upto you that how much you care for the money you spent because you only know how you earned it.

Nobody is percussionist of all trades but it is experiences that of yours and other people which make you learn. Now it is totally upto you how you take and respond to the knowledge.

Regards
    KK
    mangeshtendulkar and prabhjot like this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Totally agree with you @KKAUL , infact I have the habbit of standing.it's not possible for everyone, rather should be individuals responsibility to get work done when we are paying for it.
    Knowledge is divine so the TFI forum, always helped me a lot.

Apart from this it's also important how the Service advisor is knowledgeable , this is where I got inclined towards Fiat Sutaria Belgaum Service centre which is located 110kms from my place and for major works I travel to this service centre.
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Battery is 2 yrs old, no its not engine cranking sound. If i am understanding corretly what you means is if this sound coming from self/ starter ... i will say No this sound is different.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 11, 2015 ---
    I am not very sure if they have cleaned oil nozzel .. or frankly speaking not very sure what is that and where it is? But guys at DRS motors gurgaon has always done an excellent job in my car... so straight away i cannot blame them in case of a issue. But if this is a timing chain issue then as per me its definitely parts quality issue.

I never left my car on the mercy of mechanics till now, even if a task is of 6-8 hrs i always present with my car in the bay area and keeps on discussing what they are doing and why that is necessary.
    Yes, they always ask me to sit in customer lounge but its of no use in my case as i never leave my car alone.

I will definitely visit DRS guys again to discuss this issue .. may be next weekend and will provide an update here.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    Ganges and prabhjot like this.
  9. srinivaschandalada

srinivaschandalada Amatore

Kakinada
    kakinada
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My cars engine is butter smooth after the replacement. Was the smaller sprocket wheel changed along with the timing chain kit?
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes Sri, both wheel changed