1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    its beter that you dont take a chance with the timing chain. many cases of engine going kaput due to non adherence of advice regarding replacement of timing chain can be found on this forum
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If SA has suggested timing chain replacement, please go ahead with it. Even if you change bit early no harm in it. Its not a quality issue IMO, even Maruti MJDs are susceptible to chain failure anytime. Best to replace chain and tensioners or chain gears as necessary. Ask SA to write in report if timing chain is making excessive noise. Keep this particular invoice safe and filed with you incase of future warranty claims.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

The weight of the car, the gearing ,are all different and hence the loading on the timing chain will be different too. The long service intervals , slow moving traffic in polluted and dusty environments, also means that a comparatively dirty oil is bathing the timing chain for a longer time. All contribute to early wear. So no comparisons . apples and oranges.

Abdul
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    if you have maintained prper service interval.Regular oil change and driving 50% City and Highway50%,then ideal Kms to change for 75ps should be 75000Kms.i have changed at 1,24,000Kms, more of highway driving.
    See if there is any noise of metal from engine,dont take the decision simply on number of years.
  5. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You are partly correct and partly not. Yes the timing chain wearing out is due to the weight of the car, Gearing and Long service interval as compared to other brands but it is not apple or oranges case . Both apple and oranges move in same environment i.e dusty and polluted.
    If you recall your memory the timing chain was explained as a advantage to a layman buyer for long or unlimited life.This is still given on ads by some company. In real world it is not true. The basic aim was to make diesel engine compact by removing the output shafts from the engine bay and putting it in same placement as petrol engine for front wheel drive system.
    The timing chain is a problematic area in Fiat cars. It is not because of the quality or power delivery but due to under capacity selection of the chain. Every chain has a load bearing capacity and elongation defined by the manufacturer. I haven't seen the pitch and thickness of the chain so cannot comment on the chain load capacity.
    It would be not wise to say the Japs or TATA are oranges and FIAT is apple there are hundred areas I can prove that Fiat is no good those areas but others are. So admire positives in all brands and do not patronise any brand because we owe it.
    Regards
    KK[/QUOTE]
    vista7155 and kaps like this.
  6. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    Thank u friends for the response, I have given the car to FASS and Timing chain replacement can be done under EW . I have maintained proper service /oil changes etc and more than 60% highway driving .
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    [/QUOTE]

@KKAUL, it was only a comparison and I did not specify either of the brands as being apple or orange. If required, the japs and Tata can be apples and Fiat as Durian.:) No issues.

Abdul
    asimpleson likes this.
  8. srinivaschandalada

srinivaschandalada Amatore

Kakinada
    kakinada
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I was at the workshop yesterday for my 60000 kms service for my punto. I happened to stand by another punto which was idling with its bonnet open. I found this engine very quite, compared to a faint 'kull kull sound which was audible when my car was idling with the bonnet open but absolutely no noise inside.. When I asked the mechanic I was told it was the timing chain. I was told the sound was not that bad and would need a replacement at the next service. I was shown some replaced timing chain covers of some other careless owners which were worn-out inside by the very worn out timing chain scraping against the cover. These chains were replaced at around 90000 to 100000kms. He told me a simple sign when the timing chain has to be replaced . Imagine you don't use your car for a couple of days and when you start the car (window opened) there is a noise of a slipping chain which is the sound of the chain adjusting to the toothed wheels. The sound is present for a couple of seconds, and when the chain sets to the toothed wheel the sound diminishes. Its not that chains have less life than timing belts . Chains being metal make noise when a little bit worn, and get louder with more kms , unlike belts that are silent even at the failure point. Chains give you a warning but timing belts don't. Another reason for premature wearing of timing chain is thickening and less engine oil. There is a small nozzle in between the chain which sprays oil on the chain and whenever service intervals are ignored the nozzle doesn't spray blackened oil smoothly. The same is the case when the oil levels are very low. I decided to go ahead with the chain replacement too. To my surprises the other punto I mentioned had clocked 76000 kms and had no chain replacements.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Why it is paining bro, when they are replacing it under warranty FOC.???
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 21, 2015 ---
    Why it is paining bro, when they are replacing it under warranty FOC.???

It should pain if the timing chain has gone kaput before its normal life span if 60000km and not getting replaced under warranty.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. pradeepsangwan

pradeepsangwan Amatore

Bhiwani, Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My car has covered 96000+ Kms, I have got my car's timing changed at 86000 but in morning it has again started making sound krr krr sound which is similar like when i got this timing chain changed.
    In case workshop mechanic confirms that this is an issue with timing chain, will this be replaced in some parts warranty/guarantee? If not, Why?
    Are we getting good quality spare parts?
    What cover we are getting as a consumer for bad quality of spare parts?