1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Timing chain replacement

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by drapkarthik, Jul 14, 2012.

1. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

delhi
    Write a mailer to Fiat, asking for fast approval.

Stating that who'll be responsible if engine goes kaput.

Due to delay from Fiat.
  2. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    Ooops!
    Thanks for your concern and advice.
    I have got it replaced at my cost because no chance could have been taken at the cost of engine. Thereafter I lodged claim for reimbursement under extended warrenty.
    We all Punto owners are that much smart, alert and careful. After timing chain replacement Punto has regained its youth. Now it is fun to drive it.

It has become almost silent and faster than ever. No regrets now on owning a Punto.
  3. Abhinav Sharma

Abhinav Sharma Novizio

Nagpur
    Nagpur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yesterday, my Punto 75ps mjd clocked at 60K+ , I have visited Jaika Nagpur for service of this schedule however instead of basic job suddenly they have told me about timing chain replacement with quote of 6500/-however I told them to wait my answer as I am planning to do this around 72K+. There is no metalic noise in engine and engine noise is same as it was at 39000km. I think I am taking the right decision as post this I will take second opinion from outside mechanic.
  4. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    Dear all,
    Do i have to change oil and oil filter when replacing the timing chain?
    I have changed oil at 43 k ....now it is 50k...when timing chain will be replaced.
  5. Abhinav Sharma

Abhinav Sharma Novizio

Nagpur
    Nagpur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    --- Double Post Merged, May 10, 2015 ---
    No you don't require to change the both, justask service person to drain the oil in clean vessel and refill once the job done. Just check the level n top-up(if require) with same grade oil.
  6. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    Thanks Abhinav for the Advise.

Fiat has given approval to replace the timing chain under warranty and spoke to SA regarding the oil change, he advised that since the car has already run above 6k with the existing oil and timing belt gone bad, it is highly recommended to change the oil and during the next service @60k (no need to change the oil)and change it after the recommended interval.
  7. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi
    @abhinav

Changed the timing chain under extended warranty and thanks for suggesting to check oil before changing it, I have asked the SA to check it and they found it good to go for another 5k and they just topped up the oil without changing it.
    Also replaced the elastic pad of the front shock. Attaching the bill. Total bill was 2968.

IMG_20150513_205458.jpg
  8. vishnuramachandran

vishnuramachandran Novizio

Calicut
    Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I own a 2012 75hp MJD emotion which has run 46000kms within 3 years.The car spent most of the time in highways.Recently when i switched of the engine i could make out a metal scrubbing sound from the engine bay with vibrations as most of the diesel cars do.Is this a timing chain issue?
  9. Abhinav Sharma

Abhinav Sharma Novizio

Nagpur
    Nagpur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vishnuramachandran First Go n check this by company and try to identify yourself actual cause of this noise, it way b engine guard. If its an metal noise so may b chain replacement is req. however at 46K I don't think so such replacement is req.
  10. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    Hmm...... For me too SA suggested for Timing chain replacement. Mine is for 2011 Model Punto 75bhp , and completed 51k kms. I believe it is too early for replacing this part. Is it a quality issue because of sharing same parts with Tata? I dont think Maruti vehicles which uses same MJD has this type of issues?!!!